Remote for HTPC

mrmez

Splendid
Hey peeps, not sure where to post this :)

Was thinking of building an HTPC awhile ago, but with a near silent quad-core sitting a few metres away... what the???
So im looking for a remote control + ir adapter that can also be used for the pc (win xp) plus tv etc.

Any ideas or exp is much apreciated

Thanks.

mrmez

Splendid
Thanks for that. I have one of those which ive since plugged in at work for those saturdays when i should be..... u know.
Anyway, due to water setup no room and no want.

Confusing thing is... there are 2 infrared standards: IR and IRDA
They arent compatible.

Solution SEEMS to be...
Buy cheap windoze remote + IR usb receiver
Throw cheap remote away
Buy nice learning Logitech etc remote only
808.1.0.jpg

Use IR usb with nice remote for tv AND pc :)

How come im not totally thrilled by this?

badgtx1969

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2007
I got a firefly remote for free with an ATSC tuner (I think you can find it for cheaper that $49)
http://www.snapstream.com/products/firefly/

I like how it is RF, it is vastly superior to an IR remote. No issues with line of sight, I used to have the dongle behind me in a corner tucked under a desk. Its funny that I still pointed the remote at the TV!

If you get a Harmony remote make sure you future proof it and get one that does IR and RF. I love my Harmony 880, but was sad when they came out the 890.

badgtx1969

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2007
But think about it $45 AUD (cheaper in USA) for a HD-TV tuner/recorder + IR + remote

Its a sweet HT-PC life................

There are not many ATSC tuners for less than $50, remember the switch in the US is less than 9 months away.

I got this combo from www.pcalchemy.com (one of the better HTPC sites around) a while back (they don't have it anymore), and loved it:

http://store.dottymedia.com/amp0839.html

I have seen many good reviews on VBOX's cards

mrmez

Splendid
Problem is id need the new remote to be a learning remote. Otherwise im just adding more remotes :S

RF is a good idea, but when everything else is IR, its kinda useless. Ive heard there are dual RF/IR remotes, some of them u need to switch between the two. Which could be VERY annoying.

Again, i cant use a DVB card as my water pump is in the way.

I can get this for under $20AUD, then add a nice learning remote i can use with tv/xbx/hd box/receiver/pc
ux_a08011700ux0063_ux_g.jpg

badgtx1969

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2007

Expensive, but it is able to convert IR to RF if you have an IR out on your devices:
76.1.0.jpg

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/remotes/universal_remotes/devices/378&cl=ca,en

Your idea might be worth trying for $20, I can't really help you out since I am in Canada. Personally I don't like credit card remotes.

stanleySlash

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2011
Yo man, are u set on using IR instead of 2.4GHZ? check out the stuff from Loftek, mini keyboards and air mice, make the perfect HTPC remote.

yeliya

Honorable
Mar 5, 2012

Hi man, It seems that I have heard Loftek before. And I searched and found that Mini keyboard series is one of their feature products. Then I googled and get to know that rii touch 330 have good ranks and nice reviews. Meanwhile, they are also self-manufacturing and selling Loftek IP camera for home surveillance.