[SOLVED] Remove OEM from bios

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thanulee

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2011
Hi,
I need to remove the windows key from bios, so i can bind my machine with a new one. How can i do this? Is that possible?
Thanks

Solution
One last q before i drop this topic:
What is the "wrong" way of formatting a pc? I am not keeping files on windws, i delete everything.
Is there something else?
And one last from me:

Good luck.

USAFRet

Titan
One last q before i drop this topic:
What is the "wrong" way of formatting a pc? I am not keeping files on windws, i delete everything.
Is there something else?
And one last from me:

Good luck.

Solution
As you have already been told multiple times but seem to want to ignore for some reason, keys CANNOT be written to BIOS, no how, no way is this possible.

Once activated the license remains on the Microsoft activation servers. When you reinstall the same version of Windows on the same hardware, the first time that machine checks in with the activation servers it will be reactivated, automatically, with the same license number as before. You cannot remove that license from the servers. And with that I'm out as well. Good luck on your Snipe hunt.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
It is not written to the BIOS.

When you install Windows, and you do not enter a license key, Windows will contact Microsoft's servers, and see if there is an OEM key associated with your PC's motherboard. If so, it registers the PC. Microsoft then stores the information on its own servers that the OEM key you have is associated with that specific motherboard.

Jul 29, 2021
"Applying a license key cannot write it to the BIOS. That does not happen."

No matter bold or italics, this is a fact here :) Thanks for trying to solve this, but still the issue is real.
I kow there is a way to put a windows license key into uefi bios. Till now I've not found any software that can do this. I have seen that is posible extract a backup of your bios to a ".bin" file, locate the old key and edit it, then reflash the computer with it. But I still have not foud any software that do this automatically. I Don't know if the key is encrypted and i don't know where the key is located. Off course I could try to do it with ans hex editor but I am not going to do this yo my computer. If tyou find a way to set, clear or change the windows key in bios, I would be very pleased if you tell me.

USAFRet

Titan
I kow there is a way to put a windows license key into uefi bios. Till now I've not found any software that can do this. I have seen that is posible extract a backup of your bios to a ".bin" file, locate the old key and edit it, then reflash the computer with it. But I still have not foud any software that do this automatically. I Don't know if the key is encrypted and i don't know where the key is located. Off course I could try to do it with ans hex editor but I am not going to do this yo my computer. If tyou find a way to set, clear or change the windows key in bios, I would be very pleased if you tell me.
No idea what you're actually trying to do here.

But...please start a NEW thread for your particular situation and question.

Status
Not open for further replies.