[SOLVED] Remove OEM from bios

Status
Not open for further replies.

thanulee

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2011
Hi,
I need to remove the windows key from bios, so i can bind my machine with a new one. How can i do this? Is that possible?
Thanks

Solution
One last q before i drop this topic:
What is the "wrong" way of formatting a pc? I am not keeping files on windws, i delete everything.
Is there something else?
And one last from me:

Good luck.

thanulee

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2011
Thanks, so product key completely bypasses it? I had issues with some setup im using here with network rendering and it seems to be that both of my machines were sharing a key.

Did the computer come with home edition and you need pro or some scenario like that? In those cases, there are generic Windows 10 keys out there that you can use. Find one of the keys, disconnect from internet, put in a generic key of the windows 10 version you have a license for, when you change the key the computer will want to reboot and update. It will then change the version from home to pro for example.

Then go back to change the key again. Connect to internet, put in your legitimate license key, and it should then activate.

It theoretically should work by just using your legitimate key in the change key step. But if not you can do the method above.

USAFRet

Titan
Did the computer come with home edition and you need pro or some scenario like that? In those cases, there are generic Windows 10 keys out there that you can use. Find one of the keys, disconnect from internet, put in a generic key of the windows 10 version you have a license for, when you change the key the computer will want to reboot and update. It will then change the version from home to pro for example.

Then go back to change the key again. Connect to internet, put in your legitimate license key, and it should then activate.

It theoretically should work by just using your legitimate key in the change key step. But if not you can do the method above.
A Home install can be Upgraded directly to a Pro, simply by entering a valid Pro license.
No need for any 'generic' license key.

thanulee

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2011
Thanks for the replies.
Changing the product key does not remove the OEM in bios.
I wanna remove the key from bios. Is that possible? I need this to disconnect from the hardware.

I'm guessing you are wanting to reuse the key somewhere else? Either way, if that's your idea, then the key is tied to that hardware. Even when you purchase Windows 10, once it activates on certain hardware, it's supposed to be with that hardware if it's an OEM copy. That's why if your system changes to much, you might see your Windows get de activated.

As far as using generic keys, I agree that you should not have to do that method. We usually get dells at work, and at least on some, we have had to do that method if they came with home edition. We usually buy with pro directly from the factory, but if you get in a pinch where you need a system fast and go to best buy for example, we may have to upgrade. But I have usually ended up having to do the above. Which I remember even commenting that you should not need to do the method I mentioned because it should work. I digress though.

thanulee

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2011
It confuses my network rendering with octane cause the same key is on two machines.

So yea, guys, is it possible to remove it from bios yes or no? :p reason doesnt matter, its probably something u havent face as a problem, but I have. And in order to eliminate any kind of issues, I wanna know if its possible to remove it from bios.

USAFRet

Titan
It confuses my network rendering with octane cause the same key is on two machines.

So yea, guys, is it possible to remove it from bios yes or no? :p reason doesnt matter, its probably something u havent face as a problem, but I have. And in order to eliminate any kind of issues, I wanna know if its possible to remove it from bios.
First off, unless there is some shady dealings, 2 systems cannot have the same "OEM license". Those were granted by the manufacturer.
Secondly, the 'license' on one system does not talk to other systems. It only talks to MS.
Thirdly, "reasons" do matter.

"rendering with octane" ? Details on this 'octane'?

Octane is a render engine. Could u please help me out or I must describe everything in order to get an answer "no u cant do it"?

No you can't. People have been telling you how you change the key. Just click on "Change the product key" and enter another valid license key and there you go. Forget your "remove the key from the BIOS".

Do it the proper way. Don't try to find a complicated way of doing something easy to do.

thanulee

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2011
  • I bought a key for 2 pcs from goodoffer which is not quite legit. When i went to install it there was only 1 key.
  • Using the same key on two brand new machines, activated both.
  • And now this causes issues with network rendering that I am using with Octane/ Cinema4d.
  • So now even if i format my machine, it has on both machines the same key in bios and that causes some kind of conflict.

So its not factory OEM.
While I change the product key ( got original MS windows now) I am unsure if this will still cause issues. I d like to remove it from both machines to be safe.

USAFRet

Titan
  • I bought a key for 2 pcs from goodoffer which is not quite legit. When i went to install it there was only 1 key.
  • Using the same key on two brand new machines, activated both.
  • And now this causes issues with network rendering that I am using with Octane/ Cinema4d.
  • So now even if i format my machine, it has on both machines the same key in bios and that causes some kind of conflict.
So its not factory OEM.
While I change the product key ( got original MS windows now) I am unsure if this will still cause issues. I d like to remove it from both machines to be safe.
"I bought a key for 2 pcs from goodoffer "

Well now....THAT is the problem. These are not "OEM licenses". Neither are they valid licenses. There is no BIOS involved.

You need to buy TWO actual, valid OS licenses. About $100 USD.

Per steps mentioned above...change them. One for each system.
Good grief!

thanulee

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2011
Yea... thanks. But how come when I format and do not choose to activate, to find those goodoffer keys? They must be on bios, there is no other explanation. And yea i just paid 540 on top for 2 x pro versions

USAFRet

Titan
Yea... thanks. But how come when I format and do not choose to activate, to find those goodoffer keys? They must be on bios, there is no other explanation. And yea i just paid 540 on top for 2 x pro versions
"540" whats? Quatloos? Dubloons? Florins? Shillings?

Those license keys are NOT in the BIOS. That does not happen. Whatever reinstall and 'formatting' you're doing...you're doing it wrong.
Did you associate these this license key with a Microsoft account?

thanulee

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2011
No i didnt associate em. I do complete format there isnt someting i can do wrong there, its 2020 haha.
I choose not to activate.
When windows start first time, they have the good offer keys already activated. I really dont understand how.
I dont upgrade files, i delete everything, all partitions everything and still the good offer key cannot be removed. It must certainly be on bios, or its a miracle lol

thanulee

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2011
"Applying a license key cannot write it to the BIOS. That does not happen."

No matter bold or italics, this is a fact here :) Thanks for trying to solve this, but still the issue is real.

Status
Not open for further replies.