Remove write protection from kingston 64gb flash drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

ivan scott

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012
Hello,
i have a kingston datatraveler 200 64gb with data on it i want to remove but can't because it is write protected. there is no security in properties for me to remove write protection. i want to know if i can remove write protection in any way or have i lost 77% of my flash drive

Mitch-85

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2012

Hello Ivan

i had the same problem. Lots of research and trouble with my kingston flash drive,but finally I've managed it.
Go to the properties of the device -> HardwareTab -> select the device -> properties->Policies.
I've had here 2 options:eek:ptimize the quick removal and Optimize Performance. For me,the quick removal was selected, so I selected the other,the performance option. Remove device from the PC. Restick it,and it works, for me,at least. I've formatted it,and everything is well working. Good luck
Mitch from Hungary

kiran1988

Honorable
Feb 16, 2012
1. Open Registry Editor by typing regedit in Run dialog.
2. Navigate to the key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\
3. Find a sub key inside it named “StorageDevicePolicies”. If it does not exist there then we need to make it. Right click on “Control” key -> New -> Key. Name it “StorageDevicePolicies” without quotes.

4. Now right click on this newly created key and then click New -> DWORD value and name it as “WriteProtect”.

5. Modify this key and give it a value 1.

6. Click OK, and remember to restart the PC.
Now no more data can be transferred to the drive but to start using the drive again just give the “WriteProtect” key a value of 0 instead of 1 and restart the PC.
So any thoughts how you are going to use this trick?

G

Great! I've searched a lot and there were all kinds of proposals (registry edits, third party softwares) but this is the inly which worked.
Thank you the Hungarian

sumargo

Reputable
May 16, 2014
try to delete flash disk partition with old DOS tools "fdisk". i use tools command from win98 dos tools "win98.img" and build cd boot or new flash disk boot from win98.img.
if success, create new primary partition and format in dos command prompt.
if formatting the flash disk is hang try to reboot and delete partition and don't create partiton in command prompt. try to make partition and formatting in windows computer management -> Disk management (google how to ...)
if success create drive letters and paths to access the drive in windows explorer...

sdewitt

Reputable
Jul 21, 2015
After subjecting the Kingston DataTraveler G4 to the tender mercies of the SCCM task sequence wizard, the device became write-protected.
I tried the following with no success:
Changing the hardware optimization policies on the drive.
Creating the registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\StorageDevicePolicies
Running the diskpart command ATTRIBUTES DISK CLEAR READONLY

I finally found an open-source utility named testdisk, available from http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk. I ran the option to "delete all data in the partition table".
The drive was usable once again.

Status
Not open for further replies.