[SOLVED] Removed and re-fitted my graphics card and now my motherboard doesn't detect it ?

Protolate

Reputable
Oct 9, 2016
My friend was having trouble with his computer so I offered to let him test whether his graphics card worked or not on my computer. I took out my graphics card and plugged his into my motherboard, only to realize that I didn't have the right cables to power his card. I then put my graphics card back in, and plugged everything back in. However, the motherboard no longer recognizes my graphics card, even though it was working perfectly fine a few hours ago. It lights up and the fans still spin. Since then, I've tried:

1. Trying different PCI-E ports on my motherboard
  2. Resetting CMOS
  3. Updating BIOS
Because I've plugged the graphics card into multiple ports and it still isn't detected, I think that it might be my graphics card? But I don't see how I would've damaged my graphics card simply by unplugging it and plugging it back in. Perhaps a chip was fried on the motherboard when I plugged my friend's card in?

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

Solution
rule number 1 when touching pc components, make sure ure grounded to not break your hardware with static charge
Linus recently had ElectroBOOM visit to test how susceptible PCs are to ESD and they actually had a surprisingly hard time killing components. While static is something to keep in mind, you have to be both careless and unlucky to kill components.

At this point, you'll have to try your own GPU in a different PC and a different GPU in your PC to positively determine which, if any, has died. Since you tried the GPU in different slot, that should rule out damaging the primary slot during the initial swap.

InvalidError

Titan
rule number 1 when touching pc components, make sure ure grounded to not break your hardware with static charge
Linus recently had ElectroBOOM visit to test how susceptible PCs are to ESD and they actually had a surprisingly hard time killing components. While static is something to keep in mind, you have to be both careless and unlucky to kill components.

At this point, you'll have to try your own GPU in a different PC and a different GPU in your PC to positively determine which, if any, has died. Since you tried the GPU in different slot, that should rule out damaging the primary slot during the initial swap.

Solution