Removing GPU Help

Dec 23, 2017
Good Evening

I’ve got an issue I think specifically to the GPU. Overheating/ Faulty. I’m for the first time going to attempt to remove it from the case (never done in 4 years so I’m going to assume inside GPU fan will be clogged regardless) HOWEVER! I’m struggling to find the best way of doing this. I got this pre-built so all the cable management is done but I assumed there was a “clip” instead of needing to screwdriver it all out?

Anyone able to direct me the best way doing this? I’ve attached photos as much as the best angles I could at this time in the early morning. I’ll maybe be able to provide more tomorrow.

Solution
Using the Komodo Cabling system, ok. When pulling it away from the socket, you should see a small “stick” like thing on the top or bottom or side depending on psu. Push that down while pulling it out. Then just toy around with the physical wires to finish the job.

jgustin7b

Commendable
Nov 17, 2017
The model of the system (bought pcs) or the specs (including mobo & case) (for built PCs) would be great. Pics would be nice too, so I’ll wait for those. Unless you already posted some, I didn’t see anything...

Dec 23, 2017
Apologies, didn't know have to upload externally:

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=17srd3&s=9#.Wj7vvlVl-M8
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=f2u2h4&s=9#.Wj7v4VVl-M8 (not best photo, just showing more of back)

Do you have a specific shortcut that could run down the specs/system etc. I could happily list all in Device Manager, lol.

**Edit:

17srd3.jpg

jgustin7b

Commendable
Nov 17, 2017
If it’s built, go to pcpartpicker.com (assuming you are in USA) and click “start new build”. Then fill in the slots with what you have (you really only need the gpu, case, and mobo in this case) and click the pcpartpicker logo or the reddit logo to get it to show a text list of what you have. Copy it all, and paste it here. If bought, manually just state the model of it. I can take it from there.

Dec 23, 2017
So...

I'll not be able to give you the motherboard unfortunately - I can't even get into my desktop PC due to this issue so I cant even device manager (etc) and doesn't state it within the case.

The GPU is the XFX R7800 Sereis Ghost
The case I found is the Antec Twelve Hundred (black)

Dec 23, 2017
I can't download anything/ get into the PC due to the hardware fault mate :( I'm typing this on my laptop, haha.

More photos - I'm assuming I'll need to unscrew the screws on the left of the GPU? I might just wing it tomorrow and hope.

jgustin7b

Commendable
Nov 17, 2017
Ah, that’s ok. With the last image, I think I know what to do...

You see the screws around the pcie slot? Take those out. Then you should be able to pull it right out. You can unloosen them all, but just the ones surrounding the cover of the gpu pcie slot should be fine. A firm, but not too harsh pull should be fine.

Dec 23, 2017
2rp8etk.jpg

This is an oversight from above (best angle) are you telling me I should unscrew they screws that have the orange colour around them, or the silver ones on the left side of the case from the previous pictures? That's what I'm just looking to clarify :)

jgustin7b

Commendable
Nov 17, 2017
The orange ones are mobo standoff’s. Leave those in. Take out the 2nd highest to 4th Highest screws on the left side. You can also take off the top one as well if you want to be extra sure, but that ones going right back in.

Dec 23, 2017
Right. Spot on. So left hand side, silver screws take out 2-4 (holding the GPU up) I'll be doing this tomorrow morning unfortunately can't do DIY at 1am lol. Just to make sure that's the ones you mean then I'll bid you a good night & thank you and I'll let you know how it goes tomorrow

jgustin7b

Commendable
Nov 17, 2017
Using the Komodo Cabling system, ok. When pulling it away from the socket, you should see a small “stick” like thing on the top or bottom or side depending on psu. Push that down while pulling it out. Then just toy around with the physical wires to finish the job.

Solution