[SOLVED] Removing sequence numbers in peripheral's name

Sep 8, 2020
I recently replaced my headphones for the same one I had before, now I have a 2 in font of the name on the new headphone's is there a way to remove this.

Solution
Stay out of the registry.

Are you switching the headset's connectivity between wireless, and wired (USB or 3.5mm). Different drivers are needed and the headsets may well end up with some different designation number/name so you/Windows knows which "device driver" to select depending on connectivity.

Do you have the applicable headset drivers? Try a reinstall first.

In Device Manager ensure that the "Show hidden devices" is checked via the View tab.

Next, in Device Manager > Audio inputs and outputs find the " 2-CORSAIR VIRTOUSO Wireless Gaming Headset".

Right-click the undesired headset(s) and click Uninstall device.

FYI:

https://www.technipages.com/windows-10-how-to-update-and-uninstall-drivers...

Ralston18

Titan
Where are you seeing that "2" in front of the new headphones: Windows 10 > Device Manager?

Make and model headphones?

Most likely you will need to completely uninstall the applicable headphone drivers and start anew.

For the most part, if the headphones/audio features, etc. are all working properly, then my suggestion is to just leave "well enough" alone.

Just my thoughts on the matter.

Sep 8, 2020
Yea I see it in device manager under the section Audio Input and outputs, I see the number 2 before the model name when choosing a sound input or output also looks like " 2-CORSAIR VIRTOUSO Wireless Gaming Headset.

Ralston18

Titan
I would leave well enough alone.

Although it is possible to change device names via the Registry such edits are a last resort and should only be attempted if the system and Registry are fully backed up.

Leave the name at the "2-" etc.. name and if the name changes again, or "3-" appears then something else is going on.

Overall reason being that some future change or update may be looking for "2-" and fail if not found.

Sep 8, 2020
Yea I would prefer not to leave it alone, because now whenever I switch my headphone to wired mode it no longer recognizes itself as the same headphones with the #2 sequence number, so basically my system believes I have two separate headphones, when they go from wired to wireless so if you can somehow show me how to backup my registry and fix this because there is instructional video to do so.

Ralston18

Titan
Stay out of the registry.

Are you switching the headset's connectivity between wireless, and wired (USB or 3.5mm). Different drivers are needed and the headsets may well end up with some different designation number/name so you/Windows knows which "device driver" to select depending on connectivity.

Do you have the applicable headset drivers? Try a reinstall first.

In Device Manager ensure that the "Show hidden devices" is checked via the View tab.

Next, in Device Manager > Audio inputs and outputs find the " 2-CORSAIR VIRTOUSO Wireless Gaming Headset".

Right-click the undesired headset(s) and click Uninstall device.

FYI:

https://www.technipages.com/windows-10-how-to-update-and-uninstall-drivers

https://www.drivethelife.com/windows-10/completely-remove-uninstall-drivers-windows-10.html

Walk through the screens and procedures as necessary and as far as you can without actually executing the uninstall.

Do not immediately do the reinstall. Boot Windows without the headsets installed to ensure that no "trace" remains.

These headphones?

https://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Virt...cphy=9007866&hvtargid=pla-1001026444270&psc=1

Then reinstall the headphones as if new using the desired connectivity: wireless, USB, or 3.5 mm plug.

Be aware that Windows may install generic drivers as well. You may need to right click the listed devices and then select properties to (hopefully) learn more about the drivers that are installed.

Solution
Sep 8, 2020
It’s has been solved, thank you very much I really didn’t want to uninstall the drivers, since it has some saved data than I don’t remember the exact numbers to, like my equalizer settings but it’s okay.

Sep 8, 2020
After I uninstalled the drivers I rebooted my pc and reinstalled the drivers back, connected my headphones and then, paired it to the Bluetooth dongle and it was fixed.