Repair a dead power supply without replacing

Solution
i thought it maybe cost of replacement, but i could be wrong. Somme folk enjoy a challenge and believe me without personal know how this would be a challenge even if you could connect with someone that skilled here on Tom's.
Depends on what died. At the minimum you'll need a soldering iron, and probably some new caps, fuses, and possibly the right FETs.

Almost always not worth doing.

Also remember that there's upwards of 300V in there, which is not a good thing to get in the way of. Unless you really know your way around electronics, I strongly suggest not opening it.

Mains voltage electricity can seriously harm or kill you. I don't suggest messing with it to save ~$40.

Gee Bee

Honorable
Jan 16, 2014
i thought it maybe cost of replacement, but i could be wrong. Somme folk enjoy a challenge and believe me without personal know how this would be a challenge even if you could connect with someone that skilled here on Tom's.

Solution

snakebitex

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2012
I don't want insult or anything don't take it wrong but by asking what tools you gonna need means you don't know what are you are gonna face. Fixing a PSU for some people especially for electronics geeks is easy staff (depends on the brand and what kind of PSU is.. some are not even fixable) . Fixing a PSU by guide is a dangerous task and you can also burn other staff(mobos vga etc...). My 2c opinion is find a person that knows the correct process or RMA it or buy a new one. Personally I have fixed some but if it was possible to replace it with new one I would have done it.

Lutfij

Titan
There was an article here on Tom's about a kid who got electrocuted and died due to opening up a PSU that was unused for about ~8+ years. Apparently the capacitors in the PSU yet held their charge and was enough to kill the boy.

IMHO , repairing a PSU without proper technical know how is best left for the experts as the cost of new unit is far cheaper than loosing your life over one.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2215200/Teenager-Shawnee-Oklahoma-dies-electrocuted-fixing-computer.html

*can't find reference to how old the machine was though :)

8 years is no chance. I'd have to grab a multimeter and log it, but by memory 30 minutes is a long time for a typical electrolytic to retain more than 5% of charge.

They technically retain charge indefinitely, but that's like saying that a bottle left tipped upside-down will always have some water in it - true, but absurdly small amounts.