Question "Repair Drive Errors"; Stuttering; Freezing

LostLuggage

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2013
Hello all. A few weeks ago I got a Windows notification (which is why I'm posting under Windows 10) to "Restart to repair drive errors". I did so, and my computer spent the next roughly 17 hours "fixing". Seemed nothing was resolved, because the error came up again. I didn't want to risk my computer getting stuck forever on the "fixing" process at that moment, as I've heard can happen, and I didn't seem to be having any issues anyway, so I figured I'd continued using my computer. Since then though I have had more issues. My Steam client has issues with speed constantly and I have games (both Steam and non-Steam) having intermittent but repeated stuttering and crashing issues. One of my Steam games said it had a file issue when I tried to load it and so I tried to verify the integrity of the files and update it, and I repeatedly get "Update Failed" with the reason given being "Corrupt disk". I tried to put my computer to sleep last night and instead it slowly moved to go to sleep before entering the aforementioned "fixing" process as if I had restarted it, and that took approximately 15 hours. Upon restart things worked alright, but same error message and aforementioned errors with verifying files on Steam and crashing in the non-Steam game I tried playing. Tried repairing library on Steam, and it froze up into "Not Responding". Pulling up the task manager to close Steam it would take unusually long or refuse to close at all, and in this most recent session task manager itself would freeze into "Not Responding" and I'd have to force that process to end. Also in this most recent session even my Windows file explorer froze almost immediately upon attempting to use it, entering "Not Responding". I tried to put my computer to sleep again, and same process as yesterday, though I managed to catch it and press a key before it entered disk checking again.

I can do alright with putting computer components together, but I know far less about the software side of things or if a hardware or software problem is causing these issues, or what to do from here. I have my OS on an SSD, two other SSD's for storage, and 2TB HDD for storage as well. The HDD is about ten years old at this point. If I had to venture an uneducated guess, I'd say the HDD is having a mechanical issue and needs to be replaced, but I've no real idea and the initial cause for concern was a Windows notification so I chose to post here as it may be better known what issues cause that message to appear. I've resigned to having to pick up a new drive (SSD this time of course) and do a full data transfer from my HDD to then remove it from my computer. That said, if this is a software/file issue, then transferring all the data won't do anything to solve the problem I assume.

I'd appreciate any knowledge and suggestions on how to proceed you can provide.
If this post is more appropriate under a different topic like one of the hardware ones let me know and I'll be sure to move it.

Hello all. A few weeks ago I got a Windows notification (which is why I'm posting under Windows 10) to "Restart to repair drive errors". I did so, and my computer spent the next roughly 17 hours "fixing". Seemed nothing was resolved, because the error came up again. I didn't want to risk my computer getting stuck forever on the "fixing" process at that moment, as I've heard can happen, and I didn't seem to be having any issues anyway, so I figured I'd continued using my computer. Since then though I have had more issues. My Steam client has issues with speed constantly and I have games (both Steam and non-Steam) having intermittent but repeated stuttering and crashing issues. One of my Steam games said it had a file issue when I tried to load it and so I tried to verify the integrity of the files and update it, and I repeatedly get "Update Failed" with the reason given being "Corrupt disk". I tried to put my computer to sleep last night and instead it slowly moved to go to sleep before entering the aforementioned "fixing" process as if I had restarted it, and that took approximately 15 hours. Upon restart things worked alright, but same error message and aforementioned errors with verifying files on Steam and crashing in the non-Steam game I tried playing. Tried repairing library on Steam, and it froze up into "Not Responding". Pulling up the task manager to close Steam it would take unusually long or refuse to close at all, and in this most recent session task manager itself would freeze into "Not Responding" and I'd have to force that process to end. Also in this most recent session even my Windows file explorer froze almost immediately upon attempting to use it, entering "Not Responding". I tried to put my computer to sleep again, and same process as yesterday, though I managed to catch it and press a key before it entered disk checking again.

I can do alright with putting computer components together, but I know far less about the software side of things or if a hardware or software problem is causing these issues, or what to do from here. I have my OS on an SSD, two other SSD's for storage, and 2TB HDD for storage as well. The HDD is about ten years old at this point. If I had to venture an uneducated guess, I'd say the HDD is having a mechanical issue and needs to be replaced, but I've no real idea and the initial cause for concern was a Windows notification so I chose to post here as it may be better known what issues cause that message to appear. I've resigned to having to pick up a new drive (SSD this time of course) and do a full data transfer from my HDD to then remove it from my computer. That said, if this is a software/file issue, then transferring all the data won't do anything to solve the problem I assume.

I'd appreciate any knowledge and suggestions on how to proceed you can provide.
If this post is more appropriate under a different topic like one of the hardware ones let me know and I'll be sure to move it.
Use crystal disk info and post a screenshot for each disk.