Question "Repairing" a dead CRT by giving it new life!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 11, 2022
So. I've been looking to buy a CRT for the looks, but I know most of them are coming around to dying and getting replacements from a consumer standpoint is sort-of tough.

Hear me out.. Is it possible to place an LCD panel behind the glass of a CRT to make it appear as if it's still functional? Of course, this is only for the looks, not for keeping 100% retro functionality. If I were to remove all internals of a burnt out CRT, would I be able to just put the internals of an LCD in there and shove it behind the glass?

Just some crazy I idea I Had.. Please do let me know if anyone knows anything!

kanewolf

Titan
So. I've been looking to buy a CRT for the looks, but I know most of them are coming around to dying and getting replacements from a consumer standpoint is sort-of tough.

Hear me out.. Is it possible to place an LCD panel behind the glass of a CRT to make it appear as if it's still functional? Of course, this is only for the looks, not for keeping 100% retro functionality. If I were to remove all internals of a burnt out CRT, would I be able to just put the internals of an LCD in there and shove it behind the glass?

Just some crazy I idea I Had.. Please do let me know if anyone knows anything!
The front glass of a CRT is not see through. It has the coating that creates the pixels. Could you break the neck on a CRT, to remove the vacuum, then use glass cutting techniques to get the front face of the CRT exposed? Then get the phosphor coating removed without scratching the glass ? Maybe, but, unless you can find a good tutorial, I think it is unlikely.

I seriously doubt that an LCD display placed behind the front face of a CRT would be at all readable through as much as 3/4" of glass (depending upon size of CRT). In addition, with the exception of Trinitron tubes, the front glass of all CRT's is part of a sphere and is curved accordingly, thus creating a magnifying glass effect for any flat object placed behind it. Not practical at all.

It should also be pointed out that the phosphors applied to the back face of the display glass is toxic and requires appropriate safety steps be taken if/when it is removed. If it can even be removed.

Feb 11, 2022
I seriously doubt that an LCD display placed behind the front face of a CRT would be at all readable through as much as 3/4" of glass (depending upon size of CRT). In addition, with the exception of Trinitron tubes, the front glass of all CRT's is part of a sphere and is curved accordingly, thus creating a magnifying glass effect for any flat object placed behind it. Not practical at all.

It should also be pointed out that the phosphors applied to the back face of the display glass is toxic and requires appropriate safety steps be taken if/when it is removed. If it can even be removed.

Darn.. Maybe I could gut it and THEN get a custom-fit glass solution to fit under the bezel?
Those services may be slightly more expensive.. not exactly sure tho.. I'll look into it =)

Status
Not open for further replies.