Question Replace 1080Ti vs 6800XT?

Kkkk1

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2006
I want to replace my 1080Ti and wanted the 6950XT. However I'm just thinking I game at 2K @60hz refresh. I would be buying a card that would be more suited to 4K gaming. I've got no intention of upgrading my monitor for several years at least so do you think i'd be better saving around £200 and buying the 6800XT which looking at the benchmarks is easily around 2x faster than 1080Ti?

Kkkk1

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2006
Depends what games you are playing. If you have a 60hz monitor then to get smooth gameplay you only need 60 fps.
Depends what games you are playing. If you have a 60hz monitor then to get smooth gameplay you only need 60 fps.
Yep exactly, my 1080Ti is starting to drop below 60pfs sometimes as low as 42, so i'm thinking 6800XT is often 80 - 90fps at 2k 60hz which gives me plenty of scope for it to handle more complex games in the future. A 6950XT is even faster but think it's going to be wasted as i'm stuck at 60 refresh so why spend the extra money?

First, try this simple test:
Run YOUR games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
This makes the graphics card loaf a bit.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited.

You WILL do better with a stronger graphics card. The question is by how much.
Tom's gpu hierarchy chart will give you a gross idea of capabilities:
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gpu-hierarchy,4388.html
I would imagine that a 3070 class card or better would be appropriate.

And, I think you would be very pleased with an upgrade to 13th gen.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
my thought is that you went this long with the 1080ti. this tells me you are not just chasing the latest greatest and fastest, but rather looking to get something that will last for your admittedly modest expectations.

the 6950xt will do what your 1080ti did for you. it will let you enjoy your games for a number of years. as gpu needs increase you're already ready for them for a good number of years.

so considering you don't expect 1000 fps at super ultra mega settings at max resolution, i'd look at the upgrade as simply assurance of being able to do your thing for years to come until you're ready for the 10,000 series from amd :)

i tend to do the same thing. i get more than i need for sure, but i know it will last more than a gen or 2 for my needs/expectations. what is "good enough" right now, may not be in a few years. where as what is "overkill" now will still be "good enough" a few years from now. if that makes sense.

Reactions: Barty1884

Ar558

Proper
Dec 13, 2022
I want to replace my 1080Ti and wanted the 6950XT. However I'm just thinking I game at 2K @60hz refresh. I would be buying a card that would be more suited to 4K gaming. I've got no intention of upgrading my monitor for several years at least so do you think i'd be better saving around £200 and buying the 6800XT which looking at the benchmarks is easily around 2x faster than 1080Ti?

if you are playing at 1440p 60hz then 6950XT is massive overkill, I think a 6750XT would be more appropriate.

if you are playing at 1440p 60hz then 6950XT is massive overkill, I think a 6750XT would be more appropriate.

On the other hand the gpu market as it is with nvidia raising prices and amd raising prices some as well, get the faster card while the outgoing high end cards are low and be happy the next 3-4 years. The 6750xt is a good card, I’ve got a 6700xt, nearly the same card and it’s a fine card but I’m finding myself wanting a 6900xt due to the fact I see gpu prices rising and even though I’ve just got a 1440p 165hz screen I figure that should hold 2-3 years anyway before needing to update.

Ar558

Proper
Dec 13, 2022
On the other hand the gpu market as it is with nvidia raising prices and amd raising prices some as well, get the faster card while the outgoing high end cards are low and be happy the next 3-4 years. The 6750xt is a good card, I’ve got a 6700xt, nearly the same card and it’s a fine card but I’m finding myself wanting a 6900xt due to the fact I see gpu prices rising and even though I’ve just got a 1440p 165hz screen I figure that should hold 2-3 years anyway before needing to update.

That makes no sense in 3-4 years time even an entry level card will be as fast as the 6950XT is now. Spending money on a higher end card now wont protect you for the future unless you get an exceptional deal, at the current prices it's not worth it.

If you land a good deal though then in 3-4 years when you are ready to upgrade you hopefully have been able to slowly save up and catch another deal at that time. For myself, I play at 1440p. So if I buy a 4K card today hopefully in that 3-4 years as things advance that card is still pretty good at 1440p. At that point I can sell my card and get some value to help purchase the next card.

logainofhades

Titan
I would say go with the 6900xt, or the 6950xt if price is close. The 6950xt usually comes at a premium, that isn't worth spending the extra on. Some of the cards are approaching 7900xt pricing territory., The longer you can keep a card, the less money you spend in the long run.

Ar558

Proper
Dec 13, 2022
If you land a good deal though then in 3-4 years when you are ready to upgrade you hopefully have been able to slowly save up and catch another deal at that time. For myself, I play at 1440p. So if I buy a 4K card today hopefully in that 3-4 years as things advance that card is still pretty good at 1440p. At that point I can sell my card and get some value to help purchase the next card.

But the price premium you are paying to have a card you don't need for the first 1-2 years far outweighs the extra year you get on the end. Say you get a 6750XT for $400 and it lasts 3 years at 1440p. That has cost you $133.33 a year. Buy a 6900XT for say $750, you then have to keep that card for 5.63 years to make it work. You might get 18 months extra but I doubt more than 2½ years and you have also had to find nearly double the upfront investment. (Also that $350 could be earning you money in a good savings account).

What are the rest of your system specs?