Replace DVD/CDRW drive with DVD+RW on Inspiron 8200?

I have an Inspiron 8200 laptop with a CDRW/DVD drive in the fixed optical
bay. It has served me well but I was wondering if anyone knew if it was
possible to swap out that drive with a new one that would allow me to burn
DVDs. Is there anyone out there that sells replacement parts compatible
with Dell laptops? Is something that is even feasible or am I stuck with my
original configuration. Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Paul B.

--------------
Paul Becker
paul@pdeerbecmooseker.com
"Go Hunting to Reply"
"If I cannot smoke cigars in heaven I shall not go." [Mark Twain]

On Mon, 5 Apr 2004 15:53:08 -0500, "Paul B." <paul@nospam.com> wrote:

> Is there anyone out there that sells replacement parts compatible
>with Dell laptops?

Yep. Try Google for the GCC-4240N and/or GCC-4241N. They are both
compatible DVD-read/CD-RW for use in the 8200. There are aftermarket
suppliers for both of these part numbers. What you might want to try
is to contact those suppliers and pose the question to them about a
DVD-RW that's mechanically and electrically interchangeable.

If you do this, please post your results. I'm sort of curious about
this myself.

There's this place
http://www.portablecomponents.com/site/content/default.asp that sells one
already put together, a bit pricey, though.
http://www.portablecomponents.com/site/content/ProductDetails.asp?id=72 is
the link for the drive. For some reason, it doesn't list the I8200, but it
lists all the other models on that chassis in the Inspiron and Latitudes.
They say it is a Dell part. It's for the modular bay, but it should be
possible to switch it out for the one in the fixed bay.

--
Thomas M. Goethe