[SOLVED] Replace pricey Verizon G3100 b/c don't need its wifi

mrjimi

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
Just upgraded Verizon FIOS, and in the course of doing that Verizon changed the connection to the ONT in my home from a coax cable to an Ethernet cable. The router they installed is the G3100, but it's very expensive, and I don't need its wifi because I have my own Google mesh system. All I need is an Ethernet port to plug the mesh network into (and a couple of ports for other devices that I prefer to hardwire rather than connect over wifi, like my primary desktop and my Ooma unit). What kind of hardware do I need to convert the Ethernet connection from the ONT into a few separate Ethernet connections for my mesh network and other devices? I'm not stuck with the $299 G3100 just to connect some Ethernet cables together, am I? Thanks!

Solution
That is a fancy box for a ISP to use most use crap. Verizon lately has been using fairly nice device as their default router. I didn't know they had a wifi6 one.

The main reason that box is expensive is because it has a moca . This box is strange in that is has 2 moca things, have not read the details but moca 2.5 can run well over 1gbit.

If you have tv coax in remote rooms moca will greatly outperform any mesh system. You really should not be using mesh unless you have no other options. It is just another form of repeater and suffers from the same issues of more latency and slower total throughput.

Can you replace the box all depends on if you have tv service from verizon. They use the moca function to talk to the remote...
That is a fancy box for a ISP to use most use crap. Verizon lately has been using fairly nice device as their default router. I didn't know they had a wifi6 one.

The main reason that box is expensive is because it has a moca . This box is strange in that is has 2 moca things, have not read the details but moca 2.5 can run well over 1gbit.

If you have tv coax in remote rooms moca will greatly outperform any mesh system. You really should not be using mesh unless you have no other options. It is just another form of repeater and suffers from the same issues of more latency and slower total throughput.

Can you replace the box all depends on if you have tv service from verizon. They use the moca function to talk to the remote tv boxes both for the dvr function and to get schedule updates etc from the internet.

If you only have simple internet and the ethernet port is active on the ont you just plug your current mesh router into it.

Solution

mrjimi

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
Thanks. I only get Internet from Verizon, not TV. I already have all the mesh hardware (and anyway the coax cables in the house are being used to distribute TV that I get from a digital antenna on my roof). So I think I''ll stick with the current setup. But . . . I want to plug multiple Ethernet cables into the ONT connection, so I can't just plug it into the mesh base. Is there a simple switch? I tried a TLink SG108 -- maybe I was doing something wrong, but it didn't seem to work.