[SOLVED] replace sata2 drive with sata3?

Mar 23, 2020
Hello,
I have a pretty old PC. The motherboard has sata 2 (3GB) connections. It has two sata 2 terabyte drives.
The SMART monitoring in bios has recently been saying that the C: drive will die at some point.
Prior to this I had noticed in task manager that C: drive would occasionally go into 100% for several minutes making the system very slow. Despite switching off search indexing and other ideas from Google, this problem never went away.
So I bought a sata 3 drive, cloned the C: drive to the new drive, and replaced the C: with the new C:.
It works. The initial boot took longer than usual to get to the login screen and post login took a lot longer to draw the screen. But it works.
Generally it does seem more sluggish than normal and task manager is showing little disk usage.
So my question is is it OK to replace a sata 2 drive with a sata 3 drive?
I do realise that the best solution is to buy a new PC but it is nice to know why things happen.
Regards,
John

Solution
Yes it is OK.
SATA is backwards and forwards compatible.

You'll not get better than SATA 2 performance, though.

For your new drive and being slow...that is possibly a consequence of cloning a dying drive. You may have transferred over some corrupt data.

USAFRet

Titan
Yes it is OK.
SATA is backwards and forwards compatible.

You'll not get better than SATA 2 performance, though.

For your new drive and being slow...that is possibly a consequence of cloning a dying drive. You may have transferred over some corrupt data.

Solution