Question Replacement Geforce GTX 1660 still not being detected ?

Sep 26, 2021
Hello. I'm very new to all this and recently completed my first pc build using an EVGA GeForce GTX 1660 6 GB SC ULTRA GAMING Video Card. The card never got detected by Windows 10 or the BIOS. I've uninstalled and reinstalled it multiple times. It's been seated correctly and plugged in correctly. The fans spin so it gets power, but it never showed up in Device Manager (yes, even with hidden items enabled). The monitor says the HDMI connection is inactive if I plug into the GPU. I've tried to download drivers and GeForce Experience, but neither work because they need a card to recognize and mine never reads as installed. It's like it doesn't exist to anything but the PSU.

So I RMA'd it, and got a replacement. Same problems. Nothing changed except for one instance where after a reinstall, a hidden item in the Device Manager was "Basic Windows Display Adapter", and it said it wasn't installed properly/fully (Code 45). Then I checked Windows updates, and a Nvidia driver was auto-installed. But that was it. I couldn't find anyone else with this specific scenario, so I ended up uninstalling the "basic adapter" and continuing to see if I had just seated the card incorrectly.

At this point I'm utterly baffled and frustrated. I don't know if it's a giant coincidence that my replacement card is also defective, if the motherboard is defective (Everything else runs smoothly, btw. The internal graphics, cooling, usb's... Everything else works like a dream.), or if this specific card type isn't compatible. Can anyone provide some clarity for me? Thanks.

Here's the rest of my build:

• Intel Core i7-8700K 3.7 GHz 6-Core OEM/Tray Processor
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro Wifi ATX LGA1151
  • Crucial Ballistix 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory
  • Western Digital Blue 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
  • Western Digital Black 1 TB 2.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
  • SeaSonic FOCUS 550 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
  • Windows 10 (64-bit)

wogfor

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2016
I also wonder about the power supply. If all 8 pins are delivering power through the PCE extension or not. Do you have access to another power supply to test with? You wouldn't have to install it, just set it up next to it and plug everything in to test. Otherwise it may be the MOBO

after a reinstall, a hidden item in the Device Manager was "Basic Windows Display Adapter", and it said it wasn't installed properly/fully (Code 45).
Which PCIE slot did you install graphics card in? You should use upper PCIE x16 slot.

Is the card properly inserted in PCIE slot? Can you show a photo?
(upload to imgur.com and post link)

Did you connect 8pin PCIE power cable to graphics card?

Is monitor connected to graphics card?

Did you install chipset drivers?

Can you a show screenshot from Device Manager? (Display adapters section expanded)
(upload to imgur.com and post link)