Question replacing and install gpu, is still applicable to use DDU in 2024? from gtx 1650 to rtx 3060

hi, is it applicable to use ddu in 2024 or no need? replacing my gtx 1650 to rtx 3060. thanks
Considering that you are exchanging for another Nvidia product, no need for DDU, just install appropriate drivers again, Drivers are a "package" of drivers with drivers for many models and installation program finds what you have and install appropriated driver for it.

Reactions: biets01

biets01

Reputable
Oct 26, 2020
Considering that you are exchanging for another Nvidia product, no need for DDU, just install appropriate drivers again, Drivers are a "package" of drivers with drivers for many models and installation program finds what you have and install appropriated driver.

Considering that you are exchanging for another Nvidia product, no need for DDU, just install appropriate drivers again, Drivers are a "package" of drivers with drivers for many models and installation program finds what you have and install appropriated driver for it.
appreciated man :)

Imperat0r

Proper
Apr 19, 2024
Hello.
As @CountMike told you, usually it doesn't require to DDU old drivers.
But, in practice from my experience, i would do it.
There are a lot of variables in place and as i said i would do it 100%.
Or in my case when i change my video card i even reinstall from scratch Windows + drivers

Both, Nvidia and AMD have options for full, clean driver installation/upgrade with or without keeping settings. DDU is most usable when changing one to another make of GPU and Sound so there are no unnecessary files left. There's usually no harm in using DDU though, only "danger" is that Windows might not recognize your new GPU right away and leave you without driver and therefore a picture at all because DDU is done in Windows safe mode,
Replacing Windows is grossly overkill, it would take me over a week to get them to same state as before and would accomplish nothing unless Windows are screwed up anyway.

Reactions: DS426 and Imperat0r

Imperat0r

Proper
Apr 19, 2024
Replacing Windows is grossly overkill, it would take me over a week to get them to same state as before and would accomplish nothing unless Windows are screwed up anyway.
I agree. But this is me.
I can be exagerated in some things.
I said that "in my case" , to inform other members that it was my personal choice.
But, from my experience and don't put me to find a proof for that, in some cases i encountered strange crashes or errors if i didn't reinstall windows.
So i decided a few years ago that i will reinstall from scratch windows all the time i change my video card.
This applies only to Windows 10.

Reactions: CountMike

DS426

Proper
May 15, 2024
I would also recommend just using the clean install option on the latest nVidia driver package. DDU is still preferred when changing between AMD/Intel/nVidia, but IMO is a little overkill when staying in the same family. That said, if you experience any problems, you can always go back and execute on DDU, then install drivers clean. Technically yeah, Windows could still have some artifacts in the registry and elsewhere but indeed comes down to personal preference vs. what most builders would consider strictly necessary.

Imperat0r

Proper
Apr 19, 2024
Windows could still have some artifacts in the registry and elsewhere but indeed comes down to personal preference vs. what most builders would consider strictly necessary.
I agree.
That is why i underlined the fact that it was my personal point of view regarding on installing a new video card.
If the OP is not having problems then he should let windows alone.