Question How Many Connectors to Power i7 14700KF

Raging_Vampire

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2013
Hello internet!
I'm in the process of upgrading my PC's motherboard, processor and RAM. Specifically, my new mobo is here, and my PSU is here. PSU is circa 10 years old. Unfortunately, being so old, I threw out all of the spare leads for the PSU a while back. So my question is, will a single 8-pin EPS connector or a 4+4 pin connector (can't remember which I've got in there at the moment) be sufficient to drive an I7 14700KF processor for gaming purposes? If not, there's a few options:
  • I have a set of cabled extensions (see here) that I never got round to installing. These contain a couple of 8 pin connectors which I would connect together. The keying of the connectors looks like it should fit the socket in the PSU. Would this work / be safe?
  • I can try and procure a spare EPS connector from Corsair.
Obviously the first is the preference if it would work (and I should've installed the cables ages ago anyway).

Many thanks in advance for your help!

R_V

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Without the second EPS cable, the motherboard may limit your power options. Never tried it myself.

10 year old PSU is actually at end of service life, you should replace it. Presumably you have a GPU since the 14700KF doesn't have an iGPU. Older PSUs don't necessarily meet the power spikes and high demands of late model GPUs.

Corsair certainly sells cables though and would be a safe option if you get the right ones. What is the PSU model?

Raging_Vampire

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2013
Without the second EPS cable, the motherboard may limit your power options. Never tried it myself.

10 year old PSU is actually at end of service life, you should replace it. Presumably you have a GPU since the 14700KF doesn't have an iGPU. Older PSUs don't necessarily meet the power spikes and high demands of late model GPUs.

Corsair certainly sells cables though and would be a safe option if you get the right ones. What is the PSU model?
The PSU is linked in the original post.

Gururu

Proper
Jan 4, 2024
EPS are designed for CPU power so I speculate that the extensions would work fine. Would you intend to connect the two from the kit together to make a single one, occupying only one 8 pin on the motherboard? You might not get enough juice for a 14700 to be stable, though you might get a boot. It is an old PSU, so hard to argue with the other commenters.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
EPS are designed for CPU power so I speculate that the extensions would work fine. Would you intend to connect the two from the kit together to make a single one, occupying only one 8 pin on the motherboard? You might not get enough juice for a 14700 to be stable, though you might get a boot. It is an old PSU, so hard to argue with the other commenters.

Only if the PSU end of the connector has a straight through pin out. Would have to double check, but I don't own any type 3 cables, so can't do it directly.

You can just buy the needed cable here: (Type 3 power supply)

https://www.corsair.com/uk/en/p/pc-...atible-with-all-type-3-pin-out-psu-cp-8920128