bedouinbro

Reputable
Jan 25, 2021
i have been using this gtx 760 for last 10 years, as you can see theres quite the hard dust on the heatsink, and on the fan. so if i open up the card and clean it, and re apply thermal paste,
what are the chances this 10 year old will drop dead on me !? found two videos of cleaning and re applying thermal paste,
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dP0BwQULoM&ab_channel=BRLCode

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5cfTGoandc&ab_channel=MRFischerTech

any links of cards dying after cleaning ? since its a very old card, what are the chances it will survive or fail ? btw this cards thermal throtlling seems to be around 80 degree, how much will it improve after cleaning and reapplying ?

20240308-231555.jpg

20240308-231716.jpg

Shared-Screenshot.jpg

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
As long as you are careful, it should be fine.

Not that great of an expense to replace these days either.

GTX760 go for around $25-50, GTX 980 are around $60-75. Used GTX1070/GTX1080 can be had for about $100. Brand new RX6600 are often around $190.

If you trust yourself do a full refurbish meaning removing thermal paste and replacing.

If your on the fence you can unscrew the plastic shroud and be able to at least use a paint brush to loosen dust on underside of fans and hold fans and don't put heavy pressure just enough to loosen dust.

Do the same to the heat sink and finish it off with a blow dryer.

You could even brush the CPU cooler and It's fan.

Just take it outside to do the blowing unless you want double dust clean up.

Just discharge computer if you do remove GPU and clean. Unplug from wall and hold down the power button for 20 seconds should be good.

bedouinbro

Reputable
Jan 25, 2021
If you trust yourself do a full refurbish meaning removing thermal paste and replacing.

If your on the fence you can unscrew the plastic shroud and be able to at least use a paint brush to loosen dust on underside of fans and hold fans and don't put heavy pressure just enough to loosen dust.

Just discharge computer if you do remove GPU and clean. Unplug from wall and hold down the power button for 20 seconds should be good.
any idea if msi gtx 760 have thermal pads on them ? i could try cleaning, and changing the paste, but i dont have any thermal pads at the moment

bedouinbro

Reputable
Jan 25, 2021
As long as you are careful, it should be fine.

Not that great of an expense to replace these days either.

GTX760 go for around $25-50, GTX 980 are around $60-75. Used GTX1070/GTX1080 can be had for about $100. Brand new RX6600 are often around $190.
btw are gpu fans replacble ? dont really have the budget to change gpu at the momoent !

any idea if msi gtx 760 have thermal pads on them
Every GPU is different but not a big deal to replace cost wise.
btw are gpu fans replacble ?
Yes but finding them is the hard part. Most you will find on ebay or aliexpress AKA from china.

I have seen used GTX 760s sell for less than a single new replacement fan.
And that's a factor as well on used GPU's if you hit the right deal at the right time.

bedouinbro

Reputable
Jan 25, 2021
Every GPU is different but not a big deal to replace cost wise.

Yes but finding them is the hard part. Most you will find on ebay or aliexpress AKA from china.

And that's a factor as well on used GPU's if you hit the right deal at the right time.
20240809-220827.jpg

20240809-220907.jpg

20240809-220827.jpg

20240809-220907.jpg

Screenshot-117.png

so occasionally the gpu fans stops spinning and overheats all that problems, then i have to manually spin the fans to get the fans running, its a 10 year old gpu so ovbisouly the fans are dying, as you already mentioned this

any way to prolong the fans lifespan ? without opening the gpu ? opening gpu this old comes with the risk of making it dead preety much, either the fans or something else

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Not really. To even get at the fan motors you would have to take it apart. Adding lube is a very temporary fix. If the fans are noisy they already have dirt or dust inside of them that has ruined the bearing surfaces.

You could potentially get new fans if you wanted to. Type in the exact make and model into Amazon or Ebay and you can generally get a pair for quite low sums. Not going to last as long as the original ones generally.

Earlier advice still stands, you can get newer used GPUs for quite reasonable sums vs paying $20 to get new fans shipped. Or go ahead and get a new GPU.