Question Replacing Case for Inspiron 3847

Jul 16, 2019
Long story short, I have this old Inspiron PC that I want to repurpose. The case however, is big, heavy and just looks bad. So I thought I'd replace the case with something smaller and lighter.

Before replacing, I confirmed that the PC posts and booted into windows. The motherboard is a Great Bear MB 13040-1. When installing the mobo in the new case, I used stilts and made sure there was no contact with the case. I left the ram and CPU seated when installing since I didn't see any use of taking them out. I used the same PSU so essentially everything stayed the same on the mobo accept one fan, one usb and the font panel io for the case. I managed to figure out which are the power sw, power led and hdd led(since dell just uses one connector and doesn't label which pin does what).

The problem I'm having now is a failure to post. There aren't any leds on the mobo for troubleshooting nor a speaker, but the fans are spinning so I know the power is working. I tried booting with no peripherals plugged into the mobo, reseating the ram and used both hdmi and vga output (from the cpu with on board graphics, there's no gpu).

Not sure what else I can try aside from reseating the cpu, but it was never touched so I don't know why it would have to be reseated. Any ideas? I wonder if anyone has done something like this before and ran into the same issue.
Thanks, any help is appreciated.

Just a thought......sometimes....where the standoffs meet the motherboard....there is a conductor there for the conductive standoff to contact and also this standoff serves as a MB ground to the case.

If your MB has one or more of these....and it's not grounded to the case.....it may cause an issue.

Jul 16, 2019
"Just a thought......sometimes....where the standoffs meet the motherboard....there is a conductor there for the conductive standoff to contact and also this standoff serves as a MB ground to the case."

I did notice that there were no standoffs in the original case, it was just screws in. How would I know if there are any conductors where the standoffs meet the mobo?