Replacing mobo,ram and cpu

Pandaking667

Reputable
Jul 12, 2015
Hi everyone,

Soon i'll be replacing my old cpu with (i5-2300) with a new ryzen 5 1600. I know i have to reinstall windows. But how does this work for other software, does this just keep on my hdd or do i have to uninstall and reinstall everything? Or should i just format my hdd?

Thanks in advance!

Solution
Based on the info you provided I see no reason why you simply couldn't upgrade your system with the components you've indicated. I don't see any reason why you would need to reinstall the Win 8.1 OS. And there doesn't appear to be any reason why you would need to reinstall your present programs and certainly no need to format your HDD.

No doubt you will need to install new drivers that will be provided by your new motherboard's installation CD/DVD, but even there you may be pleasantly surprised that the Windows OS will provide some (if not all) of the necessary drivers upon first booting to the new system.

somesh101

Honorable
Jul 16, 2015
if you are lucky you won't have to do neither.
upgraded from c2d to ryzen 1600 and windows 10 calibrated on first start and working fine almost amonth now.
though you will need to install new drivers.

You'll have to reinstall (or repair) the software...I would save your files, uninstall the programs, and reinstall after a clean install of Windows. Trying to install Windows over an old copy has always been questionable...it might work, but common perception is you'll end up leaving some performance on the floor that a clean install would net you and you may have some stability issues. Why risk it...

Before anyone could (or should) respond sensibly to your query you should at the outset provide some key information, to wit...

1. Is your present system functioning properly, i.e., does the system boot to the OS without incident and does it thereafter function without any problems? (Presumably the HDD you mention is your boot drive, yes?)

2. Can we assume that aside from the new components you'll be installing you're basically satisfied with the general operation of your current system and that your primary objective in upgrading your system is merely to achieve a faster, more responsive day-to-day system?

3. What OS are you currently working with? And what OS are you planning to utilize in the new system? The same as the current OS?, which is?

Pandaking667

Reputable
Jul 12, 2015

To anwser your questions:
1) My pc is running fine for about 2 years now, and yes the hdd is my boot drive.
2) My main goal is upgrading my pc to get more fps (since I mainly use it for gaming). I'm quite satisfied with my current components, but the i5-2300 is getting old and starts to get low performance after a few hours of runtime.
3) I'm working on windows 8.1 pro, but reinstalling it is no issue.

Thanks for the anwsers so far!

Based on the info you provided I see no reason why you simply couldn't upgrade your system with the components you've indicated. I don't see any reason why you would need to reinstall the Win 8.1 OS. And there doesn't appear to be any reason why you would need to reinstall your present programs and certainly no need to format your HDD.

No doubt you will need to install new drivers that will be provided by your new motherboard's installation CD/DVD, but even there you may be pleasantly surprised that the Windows OS will provide some (if not all) of the necessary drivers upon first booting to the new system.

Solution