Question Replacing my desktop PC with a high-end gaming laptop ?

JGonz0101

Prominent
Feb 20, 2022
Been thinking about whether or not selling and replacing my desktop PC with a high end gaming laptop? Current pc specs are a ryzen 5 3600 with an rx 570 4gb model. Laptops im looking at range between 1200-1500 with amd + 3060 configurations. Only thinking about this because soon I am moving into my own place, the portability would be great and the power efficiency could be handy when moving into my own place when it comes to the electricity bill.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
If you need the portability, go for it, but be aware that there are rare tradeoffs. For the same money as a desktop, you get significantly worse configurations, component failures and damage is a much bigger deal, and upgradeability basically goes out the window.

Don't do it for power efficiency. The money that's actually saved is quite small if you're not in a very high energy cost area. At average US prices, for instance, for every 100W you save for 10 continuous hours, it's $3-$4 per month. Given how much less PCs cost at the same performance level as laptops, you'll be hard-pressed to ever recoup that cost. So do this for other reasons, but not this one.

Truth ^^^^

I see many complaints about gaming laptops not performing well.
Usually gaming while plugged in.
One common cause is thermal throttling.
Laptop coolers must, of necessity be small and light.
The coolers are also relatively underpowered.

JGonz0101

Prominent
Feb 20, 2022
If you need the portability, go for it, but be aware that there are rare tradeoffs. For the same money as a desktop, you get significantly worse configurations, component failures and damage is a much bigger deal, and upgradeability basically goes out the window.

Don't do it for power efficiency. The money that's actually saved is quite small if you're not in a very high energy cost area. At average US prices, for instance, for every 100W you save for 10 continuous hours, it's $3-$4 per month. Given how much less PCs cost at the same performance level as laptops, you'll be hard-pressed to ever recoup that cost. So do this for other reasons, but not this one.
At this point with all the cons of a laptop should I just get a B550 Elitemini from MinisForum or buy a steam deck off someone.

If you can use a desktop, that is ideal. One of the things that is an issue with laptops is they are much more likely to break, motherboard, screen, etc.. and replacing the parts is expensive. Buy a $2,000 laptop, video card goes, you are buying an $800 motherboard even if it's 4 years old when it breaks. It's not just the cost or performance you need to think about, it's the fixing, reliability that is also an issue with laptops.