Replacing the CPU Fan

Well I had a real good time replacing the power supply in my Dimension 4500,
molex connectors notwithstanding. And my computer is quieter. So now I'm
thinking of replacing the CPU fan assembly.

From earlier threads I know that I may as well get the proprietary fan from
Dell. OK with me. It doesn't look like it's going to be difficult to
replace the fan assembly, but I always feel better when I follow Dell's own
instructions. However, I have not been able to locate instructions on Dell's
web site. Can someome provide a URL? Thanks.

Ted Zieglar

Ted Zieglar wrote:

> Well I had a real good time replacing the power supply in my Dimension 4500,
> molex connectors notwithstanding. And my computer is quieter. So now I'm
> thinking of replacing the CPU fan assembly.
>
> From earlier threads I know that I may as well get the proprietary fan from
> Dell. OK with me. It doesn't look like it's going to be difficult to
> replace the fan assembly, but I always feel better when I follow Dell's own
> instructions. However, I have not been able to locate instructions on Dell's
> web site. Can someome provide a URL? Thanks.

I'm not sure you're gonna find anything like that.

Have you tried calling Tech Support? Maybe they'll fax
or e-mail you instructions.

The only 4500 documentation I could find is at:

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim4500/

Notan

> Well I had a real good time replacing the power supply in my Dimension
> 4500,
> molex connectors notwithstanding. And my computer is quieter. So now I'm
> thinking of replacing the CPU fan assembly.
>
> From earlier threads I know that I may as well get the proprietary fan
> from
> Dell. OK with me. It doesn't look like it's going to be difficult to
> replace the fan assembly, but I always feel better when I follow Dell's
> own
> instructions. However, I have not been able to locate instructions on
> Dell's
> web site. Can someome provide a URL? Thanks.
>
> Ted Zieglar

I suspect it is the same as the 4500. Just replaced mine. Boy it is a lot
quieter. The fan came with instructions, as I recall, but I didn't read
them. If you can't figure it out, you shouldn't be doing it :) It is
really simple.

Tom

"If you can't figure it out, you shouldn't be doing it."

That should be one of the Ten Commandments of Computing.

Glad to know it really is as straightforward as it looks.

Ted Zieglar

> > Well I had a real good time replacing the power supply in my Dimension
> > 4500,
> > molex connectors notwithstanding. And my computer is quieter. So now I'm
> > thinking of replacing the CPU fan assembly.
> >
> > From earlier threads I know that I may as well get the proprietary fan
> > from
> > Dell. OK with me. It doesn't look like it's going to be difficult to
> > replace the fan assembly, but I always feel better when I follow Dell's
> > own
> > instructions. However, I have not been able to locate instructions on
> > Dell's
> > web site. Can someome provide a URL? Thanks.
> >
> > Ted Zieglar
> >

> I suspect it is the same as the 4500. Just replaced mine. Boy it is a lot
> quieter. The fan came with instructions, as I recall, but I didn't read
> them. If you can't figure it out, you shouldn't be doing it :) It is
> really simple.
>
> Tom

Oops, thank should have been same as my 4550

Ted Zieglar wrote:
> "If you can't figure it out, you shouldn't be doing it."
>
> That should be one of the Ten Commandments of Computing.

Before or after "When all else fails, read the instructions"?

;)