Report: All Nvidia G84/G86 Chips Defective

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wh3resmycar

Distinguished
oh for christs sake, my 8600gt is pushing 1 1/2 years old already. the hissing sound you guys hear is the fan adjusting itself accordingly when its being used extensively. my 8600gt is dead quiet btw.

spaztic7

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2007
I have a kettle pot that when it gets really hot makes this whistling sound. I can figure it out. I returned it for the silent X model and swore never to buy from that kettle company again.

Noisy kettle pots... what next, a toaster that is also an oven? Yeah, ok!

G

Charlie could be full of it, but someone point me to a page on the web that lists serial numbers of affected parts. Unless that is published by NVidia, we are to presume any part can be defective. Any problems with this logic? Consider this, I walk into a local store and ask if the part in the notebook I'm to buy is affected or not and they tell me to call customer service! This is nonsense.

asdasd123123

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2006
Seems very likely, but my 8800GTS 640 broke recently, it's RMA:d..
(Just like every other Nvidia card I have ever had)

I really never expect my Nvidia cards to last an entire year, and I never have seen one last more than two.

The 7900GT I'm on right now are having "dead" pixels and will start to stutter and splutter like a car that's out of gas in games that are too demanding...

This year, I'm going ATi

TheStig

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2008
Those of you with 8800s need not worry... It's only the G84 and G86 chips that are (supposedly) defective. The 8800 is from the G80 core, which is completely fine and dandy (and also one of the best GPUs ever).

G

@Denka: Sales people in stores usually don't know anything specific about components inside - much less about parts that have problems or are recalled.

Them telling you to contact the manufacturer's customer service is a correct response. You are a moron.

juvealert

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2006
bdw G84 and G86, are they refering to the nvidia Geforce 8400series and Geforce 8600series video cards?

[citation][nom]wh3resmycar[/nom]oh for christs sake, my 8600gt is pushing 1 1/2 years old already. the hissing sound you guys hear is the fan adjusting itself accordingly when its being used extensively. my 8600gt is dead quiet btw.[/citation]

mine have been running for a year, no trouble so far, touch wood.

denkab

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2008
[citation][nom]Hellscream[/nom]@Denka: Sales people in stores usually don't know anything specific about components inside - much less about parts that have problems or are recalled.Them telling you to contact the manufacturer's customer service is a correct response. You are a moron.[/citation]

Well, imagine a scenario when a customer walks into a store, picks a notebook to buy, asks sales rep to open the box, boots the notebook up, checks the serial ID of the video board, calls the NVIDIA service, gets their response and only then proceeds to checkout... At which point does a customer starts being a moron? I'm afraid it is at a point when customer even considers buying a notebook with NVidia graphics.

P.S. Please reply without personal attacks next time, if you can.

cliffro

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2007
[citation][nom]Modtech[/nom]By using aftermarket cooling and never going above 52c full load is my 8800GT safe? [/citation]
Nope It'll be dead tomorrow.....;)

Personally my 8800GTS 512 is under a year old, and since i bought MSI I have 3 years till i would have to replace it at my own cost(fully) And by then it will be on its last leg anyway if i still own it. So not really worried.

Blackopsninja

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2008
Lol wow the inquirer lol. dont you people know what kind of garbage they publish? Finally all the amd/ati fanboys crawl out of that hole they dug themselfs when amd was in the shitter a few months ago. LOL AT YOU FANBOYS

wh3resmycar - we were still selling a few as of last month (crap choice, but still people wanted them etc) - brand new cards making electrical high pitched noises that change on load etc (3D/2D etc) - DEFINITELY NOT THE FANS, and only effecting a few, most were PERFECT.

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
If you have an 8800 non-G92 card, install the most recent drivers and attempt to run ATI Tool's artifact scan. I did this and errors were showing up all over the place. I reverted back to the previous driver, and it was just fine. I figured maybe I had a bad driver download, so I re downloaded the new driver and was getting errors again after installation. I uninstall old drivers before installing the new ones every time. Either my card was having an issue which was being covered up with a driver work around, or the current set of drivers are bad. Anyone else with experiences like this, please post.

MamiyaOtaru

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2008
[citation][nom]dmacfour[/nom]50-55c doesn't sound bad. My 7900gt and 8600m gt both max at about 70c.[/citation]
Holy crap. Seriously? My 7900gt idled at 40, and under load when the fan kicked up went *down*. It was a KO edition with a better cooler than a lot of them, but still. And now that I bolted a hr-03gt on it it idles at 32 loads at 38 (loads about the same, but minus the noise of the tiny fan; It's only cooled by case fans now)

[citation][nom]asdasd123123[/nom]I really never expect my Nvidia cards to last an entire year, and I never have seen one last more than two.[/citation]
An ancient geforce3 I had ket working for years after the fan died. I finally replaced it with a 5500 that still runs. And the aforementioned 7900gt is going after two years. Anecdotes are great!

Nevertheless, I'm sure avoiding nVidia for the time being. Chips dying, poor performance in UT200x and related games, no bump mapping in Republic Commando on the 8 series and above, crap 2d performance in KDE.. Im just enjoying the low end with my eee for now.

charlib

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2008
All chips are not equal: some overclock well, some heat a lot even at stock voltage, etc... All the NV84/86 have a flaw. It does not mean that all will defect. The true question is: what proportion?

juvealert

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2006
[citation][nom]asdasd123123[/nom]I really never expect my Nvidia cards to last an entire year, and I never have seen one last more than two[/citation]

oh come on buddy, u must have been doing somthing wrong. I have a Nvidia Geforce 2MX 200 which i used back in the pentium 3 era, this week i hooked it up in a Pentium 4 system and it was still working after 5 yrs of non use. BDW the system was of a non gamers

Although i tend to prefer AMD and ATI stuff Nvidia do some good crap. At the moment i own the 8600gt and the Asus Nvidia 590chipset np so far.

Although i might give the ATI chiset a try for my next build

G

Um, i just bought a 2700$ hp pavilion dv9880ee. Sporting a 8600, am i screwed?

asdasd123123

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2006
Since Geforce 6 none of my cards have outlived a full 12 months without developing errors. And I mostly had ATi before that, and a GF3 that blew its caps.

My error must be in putting card in -> playing games for 12 months.
I rarely touch the rig after assembly.

miribus

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2006
While it's extremely fair to be critical of the Inquirer it doesn't mean they're wrong. Where did the huge $200 million dollar check from nVidia come from if not for a genuine problem?
It's like Microsoft, they have always maintained there wasn't any problem with the xbox 360s yet the scores of people with red ring of death, the fact that it was proven they would change the cooling in refurbished systems, AND then coincidentally extend their warranty to 3 years.

Is this panic-worthy? Certainly not, at the end of the day Nvidia will do the right thing so the worst I think most are in for is an inconvenience but the Inq could be guilty for in this place is trying to cause panic.

Is this a proven track record of diminishing reliability from nVidia? Since the nforce4 which was extremely solid, their latest chipsets have had numerous documented problems ranging from general reliability to heat. Honestly, I just think it's growing pains. I think this is more due to the fact that since the nforce4, nvidia had been the de-facto chipset for AMD and the massive numbers of nvidia boards flooding the market has just magnified the amount of issues reported.

The seediest part of this article is:
While evidence may point to only notebook chips being afflicted, one theory is that notebook chips go though more stress than their desktop counterparts. Notebooks http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laptop are power cycled more often, and by extension the GPUs go through more heat cycles – quickly exposing the defect. GPUs in notebooks may also be harder to cool, with less space for elaborate heatsinks and fans.

That's the old "people are saying" BS. It's a specious and rediculous argument that they cannot possibly backup, nor can nVidia realistically deny. The cooling profile in a desktop is galactically different than the cooling profile in a notebook. I wouldn't be concerned about your desktop part, even if it's fanless, as long as you have decent airflow.
Overheating in notebooks is really not a surprise and it does look like nVidia is trying to man-up about it.

Unlike some people I don't see everything as black and white, and it's amazing, when you think about it, how many times depending on perspective someone can be a fanboi for like 30 different and conflicting companies.

I don't think Inq is specifically "anti-anyone" so much as "pro-sensationalism" like... all journalists and pseudo-journalists which naturally, and should, destroy credibility.

This fan bios fix will work just fine if heat is the actual issue, and IMO if you were buying a laptop with dedicated graphics engines in it like the 8600 you probably weren't too concerned with battery power anyway. Me, I'd deal with it and still have confidence in nVidia though I'm more of an ATI guy myself. I wouldn't blame anyone for a Class Action suit to get their money back for a more power conservative laptop either. Specifically reducing battery consumption to fix their mistake AFTER you bought it sounds is kindof iffy to me.

And the buzzing noises are more often leaky caps or vibrating power coils like others have suggested. Often you can touch or hot glue said coils and fix the problem. leaky caps... bad... vibrating coils, not really a sign of a bad thing, albeit annoying.

cabose369

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2006
[citation][nom]modtech[/nom]By using aftermarket cooling and never going above 52c full load is my 8800GT safe? [/citation]

this is what's sad... you are using aftermarket cooling and ur 8800gt runs at 52c. My stock 8800GTS OC 512 has no aftermarket cooling and runs at 52c.

G92's and 94's should not be a affected.

By G84 and G86 they mean that chipset style (found in 8400-8600 chips both desktop and laptop).

I have only had Nvidia cards, my last 6600GT lasted me 4 years and I'm already on 7 months with my new 8800GTS OC and its been great.

Just a streak of bad luck for Nvidia... ATI has it ALL THE TIME!

him7403

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2008
my xfx 8600 GT us gone :( 256MB
got a new 8600GT 1GB but it is modified version of 8500GT i didnt chech b4 now i see its specification r less than that of the previous one :mad:

G

I have a gateway 6860FX that has a 8800M GTS (g92) and my temps never went more than 78 on the table with out cooler after 6 hours of playing COD4.

I don't think that G9x is defective.

e1ite_c01d

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2008
Got some bad news its not just the G84 and G86 notebooks.... I have a notebook with an intergrated go 6150 and it suffers from the same problem what makes you think nvidia has fixed this issue... My notebook died within a year. I was having graphical problems and my wireless card stoped functioning. I've done a bit of searching and I've read the 9 series could be affected also as well as many Nvidia chipsets. Oh and my latest bio's flash was listed "Critical"
Release Date: 2007-11-30 Version: F.3D

Description

PURPOSE: Critical

Fixes

Updates the fan control algorithm of the system to reduce the likelihood of future system issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.