Report: AMD Updates 2014-2015 Product Roadmap

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
About the update: Yeah i thought as much. Hawaii was supposed to launch October onwards, and Kaveri launches in Q1 2014, not Kabini. Plus no roadmap slide. Toms posts anything these days...

alextheblue

Distinguished
Wisecracker, the biggest issue is that makes it hard for me to consider an AM3+ build of any sort, since their silence on future AM3+ prospects makes it seem there's no upgrade path to Steamroller. If that's the case, I can't say that I see that pleasing AM3+ owners. If that's not the case, why wouldn't they want to reassure current owners as well as potential buyers?

ronch79

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2010
Still no guidance about AM3+'s future. We know Steamroller will ship inside Kaveri APUs, but what about the FX series? Will we see an FX lineup which will use the new Steamroller cores for the AM3+ socket? And will we see Opteron products that use this same die? Also, Kabini is said to be on the shelves but there are almost no Kabini-based machines out there. Considering how good the reception towards Brazos was, it's strange how OEMs are very silent about Kabini. Is Intel up to their old tricks again? Lots of questions here. And oh yeah, what does AMD plan to do after the Excavator revision? SR is just around the corner and Excavator can't be too far off, so it's very strange how AMD is dead silent on what happens after Excavator.

Dan Ritchie

Honorable
May 24, 2013
I am enjoying my Kabini based HP subnotebook for the last several weeks. It's the 7 watt A6-1450 4 core at 1 ghz. The thing is, performance wise, it matches (within a few percent) my Lano A8 (4 core 40 watts, 1.6 ghz) from a little over a year ago, and the GPU is more than 2x faster. So AMD has certainly made some remarkable strides.

sjc1017

Distinguished
May 4, 2011
I'd really like to buy AMD, but every time I read reviews they say the 8350 is more or less comparable to an i5 and then when I look at prices, I managed to buy a sandybridge i5, new for £80, so it just made sense to buy that instead. I don't know anything about CPUs but surely there is room to undercut intel and develop competitive products. Why can't they produce a mobile version of the FX line for gaming laptops?

tului

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010

Chips are too leaky or any of a number of other possible technical reasons.

JPNpower

Honorable
Jun 7, 2013
Sheesh good luck AMD. Nvidia is waiting for you to jump so you won't get an advantage in GPUs.

However, it seems that Intel is quite satisfied with their mainstream desktop CPUs, and are instead focusing on mobile and server. AMD can get some sales here if they can drop the price well enough while keeping up in performance with the next gen chips.

Anyway, the future is not bright for this company unless something is done... fast.

mlscrow

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2010

First, AMD already has an i3/i5 killer. It's their current FX line. The FX8350 is priced well below the i5's. Second, performance per dollar with the FX series is way higher than anything else out there from either Intel or AMD. Performance per dollar on the FX8320 is almost twice that of Intel and almost quadruple that of some of the PII's.

PassMark CPU Price/Performance List - Have to Click on "Price Performance" to sort by that value.

jurassic512

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2010
AMD said they aren't going for the high end with Intel. Why do people ignore this? If AMD is going to challenge the high end, what was all the bs about not doing it about? AMD is confused.

You clearly do not know what the Rope-A-Dope is ...

Tuishimi

Distinguished
May 17, 2011

I like the analogy but I also remember getting frustrated when Clay / Ali used that technique to wear down his opponent... I wanted to see the punches thrown. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.