Report: AMD Updates 2014-2015 Product Roadmap

Status
Not open for further replies.

beta212

Honorable
Feb 8, 2013
I guessing the delays are probably due to TSMC having to fab the millions of chips for the PS4 and the xbone, wasn't there some news that the xbone chip yields were low?

tomfreak

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
We still need a proper i3/i5 killer that have high performance/price, it is not like I want amd win Intel i7, but at least i3/i5 segment should have something price aggressively that the user will not even bother buying i3/i5 at all. *I miss the Athlon64-Phenom II days, their performance/price is still better than todays AMD.

and Sigh, no more delay please, Seriously release steamroller core CPU already, stop delaying. Intel isnt gonna stop moving.

samal90

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2008
Waiting on excavator cores to change my pc from bulldozer. Also Carrizo will make a perfect HTPC for movies (streaming and playback) and game emulation and other indie titles. Can't wait.

tomfreak

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
thats what really worries me, more delays on the FX series. AMD should have release steamroller FX at earliers Q1 2014 together with Kaveri, but there are no news for FX streamrollers so far.

pitting piledriver FX against Haswell is losing game when piledriver 8 core is already barely keep up Sandy bridge 1155. Sigh...losing i7 market segment is not enough, its like they are going to lose i5/i3 market as well. -.-||

naihan

Honorable
Jul 8, 2012
A mid-to-high-end CPU market without AMD is a a sad day for everyone. Nobody likes a monolopy. I really hope they come out with a new line of FX.

Hando567

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2006
To all those worried about no mention of FX chips, my thought is that AMD may be stepping up the APUs so that they don't have to have a separate product line for their "high end" stuff. If you notice these are A4 parts being listed as quad core, where previously A4 and A6 parts were dual core. This would tend to imply that A8 and A10 will be 8 core, eliminating the need for FX.

Larry Bob

Honorable
May 26, 2013
Or they could just extend the Athlon line to include tri- and quad-module Steamroller chips while retiring the FX brand. Not everyone wants an iGPU.

Yeah ... thanks for the update.

It's was kind of obvious that the Digitime article was hooey ... being that Kabini is already on the market (Acer has one out), and that AMD has already demo'd a Temash tablet with 'Turbo Dock' at Cebit.

I suspect AMD/OEMs are waiting for i3 Haswell (next week) and the next Atom Trail Fail before making a move for the **Holiday Buying Season** in Oct-Dec ...

melvis72

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2009
Well it was rumored that AMD was going to kill the FX line and that the 9000's were the last series, so if they are ending the AM3+ socket that might be further proof. I guess the question would be if they do keep it alive will there be whole new socket

When I read the rumor about the FX series branding being retired, I thought it was a marketing thing. But now this is saying that "APU" and AM3+ are retiring as well. Just sounds like AMD may be getting a fresh start with a more concise lineup. Intel's lineup is very straight forward, i7, i5, i3, Pentium, Celeron, Atom. I believe AMD will be doing a similar thing, all CPU's will have an IGP across the board except for models specifically named as not including one. This would save them a lot of money on fabrication, make 2 lines, test the CPU's and name them accordingly, instead of the 3 lines they have going now. Will be interesting to see the new naming scheme.

I think folks read too much into stuff ...

Going EOL with AM3 motherboards does not kill-off AM3+ motherboards (and, AM3 CPUs work on it, anyway). DDR4 will eventually kill-off AM3+ ... AMD has no strategic reason to pump *AM4* or maybe *FM4* without seeing the demand (and potential) in the market for the HSA arch. If anything, DDR4 with a unified memory arch could be a monster ....

and that would not preclude a single-socket DDR4 solution with XXX(X?) pins for an APU with GCN cores, or an enterprise derivative with mucho-cores and expanded L3 cache

Status
Not open for further replies.