Report: Apple Tablet to be "Shockingly" Cheap

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

joebob2000

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2006
It's an Ipod with a bigger screen and a bigger battery (for said screen) Shockingly cheap will be $500. $500 for an Ipod, what a deal! $500 for an MP3/mobile video player... wait people still carry those instead of just using their phones?

dhowie

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
To him cheap might be 1000-2000

For me cheap is 200-400. If its in that price range, then i'm sold. I highly doubt it will be cheap.

tipoo

Distinguished
May 4, 2006
[citation][nom]falconqc[/nom]Ill believe that when I see it.[/citation]
Ditto...However, a full featured tablet would certainly win out compared to Netbooks if it cost as much as your average one now.

G

Let's see if it is a real tablet that is usable for graphic art, quick reliable handwriting recognition, and form creation/completion. My guess is it will just be a useless oversized iTouch that the fanbois will LOVE.

zelannii

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2009
I fully expect $150 - 250 more than the iPhone.
Current iPhone 3GS is $600 base. $200 after rebate. However, that's an older price point, and I expect to see it drop to $449 pre-subsidy ($149 for 16GB with a plan) with the tablet release announcement as it's mfg cost is now around the $300 price point. That would put a tablet on the street soewhere around $599-699 without a subsidy, and $249-299 with it.

Lets not forget the rumor of both an iPhone OS tablet, and a slightly larger OS X tablet following it. The iPhone OS tablet, even with a 9" screen, can't be priced too much higher than an iPhone. a 10.4" tablet with OS X and iLife, and a beefier CPU will likely be $800-949 (maybe $300-400 discounted with a cell phone plan as well). Still, not bad at all. A 13" White macbook may be a good bit more powerful, but considdering the utility of the tablet and the high cost of miniaturization (and the SDD it will likely include), plus being full multi-touch, even the same price as a 13" would not be unheard of. (especially if NFC is included and it pairs well as an extention of a real Mac).

zelannii

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2009
[citation][nom]deadlockedworld[/nom]This tablet is apples response to the stupid netbook craze. I'm guessing that means $450-599. Apple bought that processor company a few years ago to prepare for this--that's why they will be able to afford to keep prices down. There wont be the demand for this that there was for iphone-- so they will have to price competitively to establish a market. They will need to get developers, and publishers on board with making programs for it like the app store.[/citation]

You missed the previous hype: not 1 but 2 tablets... 1 basically a bigger iPhone at 9", the other thicker, core2 powered, and running OS X in a 10.x" form factor, like a 10" MacBook Air... For $349 after subsidy with a contract ($600 without) a Mac iPad that can multitask a few iPhone apps at a time would be a dream, especially is it outputs 1080p and runs about 2-3 times as long on a charge. For $999 an OS X 10" tablet would be hundreds cheaper than any competing full tablet system (and that could also easily be subsidized down to $600)

pocketdrummer

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
Shockingly cheap! $1,500 + tax!

If it's a tablet computer, it's going to be expensive. If it's a "big iPhone" then it will be a couple hundred dollars more than the iPhone.

Either way, don't expect miracles...

idisarmu

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2008
[citation][nom]zelannii[/nom]You missed the previous hype: not 1 but 2 tablets... 1 basically a bigger iPhone at 9", the other thicker, core2 powered, and running OS X in a 10.x" form factor, like a 10" MacBook Air... For $349 after subsidy with a contract ($600 without) a Mac iPad that can multitask a few iPhone apps at a time would be a dream, especially is it outputs 1080p and runs about 2-3 times as long on a charge. For $999 an OS X 10" tablet would be hundreds cheaper than any competing full tablet system (and that could also easily be subsidized down to $600)[/citation]

Why on earth would a tablet be subsidized? Can it be used as a phone? Will it be attached to a monthly service fee? Sounds stupid to me. The more unlocked something is, the better. No contracts + high purchase cost would be an ideal for me.... for everything, not just a computer or phone.

jecastej

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2006
I have a Mac but I'm not interested in a tablet (unless it will be a revolutionary technology I could put to good use). Anyway I think "Shockingly" Cheap would be closer to $400. Close to $500 would not be "Shockingly" Cheap to me, -just possible for an entry tablet with whatever price for the top one. And $800, the estimated price everybody is talking about for a tablet would be "Shockingly" expensive to me (that's a laptop price). I don't know what to expect and what new uses or technologies Apple may have in mind but at least It will have a more powerful processor than the iPod touch with proprietary ARM technology, probably, and a bigger 9 to 11' screen, so... not on laptop category.

TheLighterHalf

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2009
think about what other tablets are priced at. i'm sure apple considers this a standalone system with a full blown OS so the price point for something like this should be around 1200-1400 dollars. shockingly cheap is going to be around 600-800 dollars when its essentially considered a new computer. makes sense since they are pretty much just shooting a grow ray at ipod touch parts.

whatever, i'll still get one...

G

what if they dont have to have developers created. Thay might be able to just have it literally be a larger screened ipod touch with more memory and screen.

then all the ophone apps will work, and a ton more will be written to be able to display apps that need more realestate.

necronic

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
You're forgetting, though, that those same-priced Windows based tablet PCs also function as fully-fledged notebooks with real keyboards - unlike this Apple tablet, which is an oversized iPod touch with some more advanced software.

That's total speculation though right? No one has said what it will be able to do yet have they? Honest questions, no sarcasm, I'm curious. If its true then that really is shocking. Apple is generally good about putting out products that fill a certain tech niche, and what you are describing sounds pretty worthless. It would be massively more expensive than an iPod/phone, and would have no more functionality except a bigger viewable area.

Doesn't make any sense.

I think they won't do a true notebook, you probably are right about that. Maybe have something that looks similar to the iPhone OS but much much more functional. Lets say it could inherit iPhone apps with no significant porting and then also add much larger possibilities for devs due to better hardware/OS. I'll be honest, that would be tits.

tits carlton.

Manos

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
"Apple and cheap in the same sentence?"

Lmfao how many of us thought the same thing by just reading the title of the article? Just a simple way to get ppl worked up to keep the ones that, even if dissapointed from the actual high price, incapable to resist anymore after you get into the procedure of " wow the new table from Apple will be also cheap, I think ill go for it" and we KNOW that once you plan into getting yourself anything tech/pc related you dont back off easily. Apple plays a simple cheapcard. very VERY cheap move even for them. This statement reminds me of those tards on commercial over the TV that show off how cool Wii is and they end up breaking the tv with the wiimote... Good times

notty22

Distinguished
The person who thinks this is shockingly cheap could also misunderstand the product. He might believe this a cousin to a Macbook, which is over a THOUSAND dollars.
IMO , this won't be priced "cheap" to even a Apple Fanboy. After all if its expensive it has to be cool and sought after ! lol

Status
Not open for further replies.