Report: Apple Tablet to be "Shockingly" Cheap

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

presidenteody

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
honestly i would pay 400 to 500, i have a laptop now that has one of those accidental service plans on the laptop i have now from bestbuy and if those come out i might accidentally crack the screen, burn up the hdd, overclock and fry the mobo to the point where i reach the "if product repair exceeds product cost a replacement of the computer will be made up to the value original purchased." I have done this several times and gotten several laptops so if the apple costs around 500(price i paid on this laptop) I think i will be getting a replacement.

jawshoeaw

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2008
I guess $400. This is like guessing how many gumballs in the jar to win. But I'm with those who predict subsidy with cell based internet. I still don't believe tablets will fly - there is just no point in a giant ipod - you can't put it in your pocket and you can't actually get any work done on it, which to me is the trade off for lugging around laptops and even netbooks. I travel light, even three pounds better have a keyboard and screen that holds its fool self up. I bet most netbooks for that matter become paper weights. Too many people bought them because they were $300. It's like the first time a 1GB SD card came down to "only" $50. I had to have one and it seemed so cheap for so much memory. Ha! Fool that I was. I remember my first 1GHz cpu - I just couldn't believe it and I wanted to be part of progress. (AMD Athlon) So I'm sure many will buy an Apple tablet purely for the Sci-Fi coolness of the idea. But reality will set in.

Now if they could make the screen fold or roll up into an iphone sized package, OK then, serious buy in. Seriously folks, have you ever used a small slate style "tablet pc". It's a pain in the arse for almost everything except web browsing. (I admit slates are kind of fun for web). Maybe looking at photos, but the screens are always too small.
Now if this apple tablet had a hideaway keyboard ala Droid, and a picoprojector with decent lumens, that would be coooool and useful.

Prove me wrong Apple gods!

jawshoeaw

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2008
[citation][nom]TheLighterHalf[/nom] makes sense since they are pretty much just shooting a grow ray at ipod touch parts. whatever, i'll still get one...[/citation]

A grow ray! I love that, I'm using that line.

G

Ridiculously cheap? What does this mean? New tech, old tech, target audience?
Apple product? Gotta be some kind of innovation and cool factor.

Come on color EInk product.

midnightgun

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2007
Why do I get the feeling "shockingly cheap" will be around the $800 range... Which will seem good until you look under the hood and find out it has an atom in it.

osamede

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2009
"Shockingly" cheap - yes if you dont realize that it is a trojan horse for two companies digging deep in your pocket. First Apple who will then charge you for TV content and newspaper websites subscriptions that used to be free. Then for AT&T or whomever will "subsidise" it , in the process locking you into a 2nd mobile broadband subcription that you dont actually need. Of course, you wont be able to instead just tether the device to your iphone. Certainly not....better its "cheap" and ends up bankrupting you.

sublifer

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2008
Extremely cheap would be a good way to grab up a lot of MS' marketshare, at least for home users... If they sold this thing at cost ($300-400) for a few months I imagine they'd shoot from 5% apple to 10-15%apple. This would be good for everyone (I can't stand apple personally. used it for a year and a few months and didn't like it for my needs) but a drop in MS marketshare would encourage a more open programming environment. Imagine an app that only had to be coded once that could install on Windows, Mac, Linux and they would all work the same.

G

WHAT IS THE POINT. Who wants and will use a tablet anyway? A Netbook would have far wider acceptance and use. Tablets are so yesterday, they really good in certain vertical markets, but that about it.

Regulas

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
[citation][nom]sciggy[/nom]Cheap by apple standards or cheap with a 2 year contract from a mobile broadband comapany subsidizing it?[/citation]
I think the nail on the head with your post, plus probably a sealed battery that costs an arm and a leg to get replaced.

krotkdm

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2009
Is this coming from a source that had announced the HUGE Black Friday savings event for Apple products?

As the saying goes, I'll believe it when I see it.

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
perhaps they are trying to monopolize the market, wait until your paying subscriptions for everything and not being able to do anything with the device without going through more apple products. then we'll see how cheap it is...

Status
Not open for further replies.