Report: Apple to Launch 2880x1800 Pixel MacBook Displays

Status
Not open for further replies.

ImThat1Guy

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
I dun' geddit.

You can't see the difference between 1920x1080 and 2560x1440 until you get to around 23 inches.

And how do they expect to run that many pixels with the weak GPUs they put in?

Also, that seems like a really weird resolution.

darkrydr3

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2008
Useless...
2880 x 1800 will probably be an upgradable feature available to 17" models and will cost an extra $500. They better get their color gamuts right if that's the case.

kenyee

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2006
woohoo!!!! sign me up.....big fonts rule :)
Could use the screen real estate for the IDEs that suck up so much space...

Anomalyx

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
Isn't it obvious? They're doing this because there's so few (if any) laptops out there with that high of a resolution that they can set whatever high ridiculous price they want.
Since it won't make any difference visually, and therefore is obviously not intended to give the user a better experience, it is quite obviously a marketing ploy to get the loyal Apple followers to throw their money away for the latest and "greatest".

$300 optional magnifying class to actually read the type on that resolution on a laptop screen will follow after Apple insists for months that the 60 yr old gradmas that buy Apples are just fine with microscopic fonts.

[citation][nom]amk-aka-Phantom[/nom]Guess they'll have to throw in a decent GPU there at last[/citation]

Don't expect it. That resolution will only be useful at the desktop and normal apps. To game on it, you'd likely want to drop down to 1440x900, which actually isn't that bad.

getreal

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2010
Lots of crybabies mad that Apple is once again first to market and pushing technology forward. Better fill out some hurt feelings reports, whiners.

bee144

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2009
[citation][nom]ringzero[/nom]Guess they'll have to throw in a magnifying glass too.[/citation]
It'll be like the retina display in the iPhone 4. Everything stays the same size it'll just be that much more crisp as the pixels will be more compact!

Morons that support this have no idea what it means, they just claim Apple is first to market with something. They would applaud if Apple sold them some crap (literally) because they were first to market with that, too.
To these morons: higher resolutions are not popular not because they were not "invented" yet and they were waiting for some geniuses at Apple to come up with them; they are not popular because there are no applications that take advantage of those resolutions. Watching your desktop at that resolution is not considered an application. One would need multi-GPU solutions to try to manage a half-decent frame-rate in any graphics application (games included) using GPUs that are not even built yet.
It's not about Apple or anyone else; it's about not putting the carriage in front of the horse. Common sense is hard to find in Apple's camp.

surdos

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2011
Come on guys, why does stupid stuff like this come up in my news feed, im fed up.
Such a joke, a bit of common sense, this is apple we are talking about.
Their laptops don't have beefy hardware so how could they support that res. its not even supported by any current gpus. yet alone intergrated gpus.
that would decrease battery life too something apple is concerned about.
This is stupid.
cant wait for the samsung tegra 3 2560x1600 tablet though! thats gonna be sweet, gonna get it for its screen mainly for photography (viewing)!

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
Uhh guy's, what you are talking about in terms of resolution and what they are actually doing is two different things. They are basically doing Retina on the laptop. Resolution independence was introduced in Lion so they can have high resolution and pixel density without scaling the desktop.

So no, you won't need a magnifying glass. They are just giving you better image quality on the new MBP.

You are correct though. They are going to need some good graphical horse power to support this but it will be nice none the less.

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
[citation][nom]surdos[/nom]Come on guys, why does stupid stuff like this come up in my news feed, im fed up.Such a joke, a bit of common sense, this is apple we are talking about.Their laptops don't have beefy hardware so how could they support that res. its not even supported by any current gpus. yet alone intergrated gpus.that would decrease battery life too something apple is concerned about.This is stupid.cant wait for the samsung tegra 3 2560x1600 tablet though! thats gonna be sweet, gonna get it for its screen mainly for photography (viewing)![/citation]

Actually, if you purchase at the begining the the hardwares lifecycle the hardware is extremely potent. Apple just does not change their prices on their laptops just because there is new hardware out their. Prices always stay the same so it becomes a value shoppers that want the most hardware for the buck halfway through the solutions lifecycle. They are priced very similar to other premium notebooks like the Thinkpad and have some other under the hood specifications that are not your standard features that you put on the back of the box.

All in All, there are some great noteboook options out there but a laptop with a retina level display. Yea, that is some goodness right there. I do not care what the laptop brand is. I will take that all day long. Nevermind the fact that I can use both Windows and OSX and have them both supported.

stonedatheist

Distinguished
May 13, 2010
The one thing Apple has been doing that I like is pushing the resolutions on their products. Even though I'm still unlikely to get one of their products, hopefully it'll push other manufacturers to do the same. QFHD aka 2160p is still a bit away from mainstream consumer TVs let alone other products. Looking forward to that day...

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
[citation][nom]house70[/nom]Morons that support this have no idea what it means, they just claim Apple is first to market with something. They would applaud if Apple sold them some crap (literally) because they were first to market with that, too.To these morons: higher resolutions are not popular not because they were not "invented" yet and they were waiting for some geniuses at Apple to come up with them; they are not popular because there are no applications that take advantage of those resolutions. Watching your desktop at that resolution is not considered an application. One would need multi-GPU solutions to try to manage a half-decent frame-rate in any graphics application (games included) using GPUs that are not even built yet.It's not about Apple or anyone else; it's about not putting the carriage in front of the horse. Common sense is hard to find in Apple's camp.[/citation]

Common sense is very easy to find. You just need to ask the right people. Application support of a resolution only applies to gaming. Common sense would tell you that most people that buy laptops are not necessarily looking to game never mind the fact that just because your game can see that your system supports ultra high resolutions does not mean that you have to select that option. I like Mac's and PC's. Hows that for common sense.

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
[citation][nom]stonedatheist[/nom]The one thing Apple has been doing that I like is pushing the resolutions on their products. Even though I'm still unlikely to get one of their products, hopefully it'll push other manufacturers to do the same. QFHD aka 2160p is still a bit away from mainstream consumer TVs let alone other products. Looking forward to that day...[/citation]

Thank you for being sensable. If no one pushed the envelope we would never make any progress. there is a reason why you are hearing about things like QuadHD and stuff like that now and that is because it is what is next up from 1080p. Does not matter weather you need it or can use it or now. Advancement is a good thing. If Apple does it and it works out then everyone else are going to do the same or try to do something better. Good for everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.