Question Report: Chip Sales Suffered Fourth Largest Decline In 35 Years

I think AMD and Intel are both getting hit with lower CPU sales because everyone is waiting to see what AMD has with Zen 2. I bet it's even starting to happen in the data center at least for replacing old servers because if you have two valid choices you can negotiate better pricing even if you stay with Intel.

Apr 26, 2019
I can atleast say, Im for sure watiting until Zen 2, and wouldn't suprise me that others also are. Combined with a few other things.
Honestly way less need to upgrade, and consoles are in the beginning of their end-phase, new gen have been teased/semi-announced (2 more years atleast), and have been out for some time. So I'd guess most people have bought the console they wanted

Diabl0

Distinguished
May 8, 2006
I think AMD and Intel are both getting hit with lower CPU sales because everyone is waiting to see what AMD has with Zen 2. I bet it's even starting to happen in the data center at least for replacing old servers because if you have two valid choices you can negotiate better pricing even if you stay with Intel.

Yes, I also am waiting for Ryzen 3000. Should I buy a Core i5 for 215 Euro when the MSRP is 180$ ? No thank you.

We got Zen 2 just around the corner....
We got Intel not able to produce as many CPUs as they'd like...
We got people satisfied with their current hardware...

All that can impact the sales numbers... Did these guys take the Intel situation into account? Did they report on raw numbers, or weighted/adjusted numbers?

honkuimushi

Reputable
Apr 30, 2015
It's interesting that 3 of the quarters were from 2001, right in the middle of the dotcom burst. And 1985 was the depths of the Video Game crash and just before the introduction of the 386. It's not exactly reassuring company.

Hopefully the Zen 2 architecture and price points will be good enough to make more OEMs open to AMD and the 3rd and 4th quarter sales will be better than forecast, even if Intel can't fully resolve their shortages.

paul horn

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2009
New processors and new motherboard designs coming with so many changes and dates unknown. Intel slow moving forward, AMD not getting along with Linux, and new PCIe about to release. The size of investment is not small for a real increase in performance.