Report: Haswell Included GT3e IGP Will Perform Like GT640

Status
Not open for further replies.

InvalidError

Titan

Since -R models are non-overclockable and will likely be BGAs soldered on motherboards, it skips the socket and dumps warranty liability costs on the motherboard manufacturers' shoulders so I would actually expect the -Rs to be a fair bit cheaper than -Ks and possibly even non-K models.

InvalidError

Titan

If you look at Intel's slides, Intel compares GT3e to AMD's HD6670 and Nvidia's GT640, which should put it at least on par with AMD's most powerful APUs for 2013.

G

When integrated graphics surpass my 2 680s or next gen 780 when it comes this will interest me a gt640 is subpar in my book. So this isnt news. I game at 2560 x 1600, only top end. But a Haswell 4770k will be my next CPU.

Zagen30

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2008

Just because you aren't the intended market doesn't mean this isn't newsworthy. A lot of Nvidia and AMD's sales come from low-end GPUs; while the profit margins are much lower, they probably make more money overall on the 640s and 6670s of the world. Intel becoming an increasing threat in that market segment is newsworthy.

I would take that slide with a large grain of salt.. or just chug down all the salt in a salt shaker.

While the Intel HD 4000 more powerful than the Radeon HD 5450 (Intel HD 3000 equivalent), it is less powerful than a Radeon HD 5550. It probably has around 90% the performance of the Radeon HD 5550 on average. The last I've heard, the HD 4600 is estimated to be 20% more powerful than the HD 4000. However, that still means it is less powerful than a Radeon HD 5570. I would place the Intel HD 4600 about half way in between the Radeon HD 5550 and HD 5570. Maybe a little closer to the Radeon HD 5570, but not by very much.

The Radeon HD 6570 is roughly 35% more powerful than the Radeon HD 5570. Therefore, attempting to compare the Intel HD 4600 to a Radeon HD 6570 is misleading to say the least. This is assuming the estimated 20% increase in performance is true. However, in order for the Intel HD 4600 to be comparable to the Radeon HD 6570, the increase in performance from the HD 4000 will have to be significant.

Let's just say that the Intel HD 4000 is equal to the Radeon HD 5550 for argument sake... The difference in performance between a Radeon HD 5550 to the Radeon HD 6570 is probably about 60% - 65%. Naturally, since the Intel HD 4000 is slower than the Radeon HD 5550, the increase in performance will need to be more than 65%.

While not in this article, Intel had another slide stating that the iGPU in Haswell is up to 2x more powerful than Ivy Bridge (meaning 100% more powerful than the Intel HD 4000), then that means Intel's HD 5200 GT3e (HD 5200 + eDRAM = Crystalwell) with double the number of shaders compared to the Intel HD 4600, plus up to 128MB of eDRAM will only be a minor improvement over the Intel HD 4600. If the Intel HD 4600 has to have over a 65% performance increase to match a Radeon HD 6570, then there is not much more room for a performance increase if the Intel HD 5200 GT3e is supposed to be up to 100% more powerful than Ivy Bridge's HD 4000.

dragonx47

Honorable
Apr 13, 2012
Well, certainly welcome news. Good to see that Intel is finally offering competition against AMD in the integrated graphics sector, assuming the report is true.

InvalidError

Titan

Exactly.

GT3e is not intended to replace over-powered multi-GPU setups - as a BGA chip, it will most likely end up in devices where discrete GPUs are not even possible such as NUC, pico-ITX and embedded form factors. It is intended to vastly increase the number of situations where IGPs provide more than sufficient performance.

The high-performance gaming/professional GPU market is less than 10% of consumer PC sales. IGPs are intended for the other 90+%.

G

Wow, your e-peen must be gigantic.

No one ever said integrated graphics are aimed at high end gaming builds. Take your boasting elsewhere.

G

This sounds amazing, but it really sounds too good to be true. All of a sudden intel goes from having iGPU's that are only as good as amd's low end integrated graphics to having discrete class performance in one generation? I know if anyone can pull of something as crazy as this, it's probably intel, but still....

Liam Bulkley

Honorable
Apr 27, 2013
So, intel likely made changes to the eus to improve efficiency, added more of them, plus vastly increased bandwidth/working memory.
At a minimum we should see more than a 100% improvement over IVB, and probably closer to 200% for many cases. The importance of that extra bandwidth from the edram can't be overstated.

natoco

Distinguished
May 3, 2011
Whats been left out is even though the fps in benchmarks looks similar to amd and nvidia, I don't think the picture quality will be the same as the descrete cards. Plus intel and good video drivers with constant updates for release day games don't belong in the same sentence.

natoco

Distinguished
May 3, 2011
Whats been left out is even though the fps in benchmarks looks similar to amd and nvidia, I don't think the picture quality will be the same as the descrete cards. Plus intel and good video drivers with constant updates for release day games don't belong in the same sentence.

iwod

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2006
This is bad. The Hype it, they thought they could do it. I hope this isn't coming straight from Intel and Only News misinterpreted them.
They first said GT3e will perform similar or even outperform a GT650M.
They then revise it GT3e will perform close to GT650M
Now it is might actually slightly outperform the GT640.
There is up to 30% difference in GT640 and GT650....

Core i3-4158U, Core i5-4250U, Core i5-4258U, Core i5-4288U - seem to be promising laptop/nettop/sff/ultrabook skus..... only if intel prices them right. if intel overprices these like they do with core i7 skus, they won't improve sales.

digiex

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2009
If you buy an core i7, would you not also buy a high tier graphics card with it?
Why are they pairing high tier CPU with a decently good IGP, when few will use it anyway.
Why not pair the decently good IGP with Pentium/Celeron or Core i3.

thasan1

Honorable
Mar 27, 2013
its certainly good news although i would've appreciated if the GT3e igpu was used on core i3 as well as with core i5 and core i7. would have helped alot of poor kids to play modern games with low to medium settings with deceen Frame rate......

dgingeri

Distinguished
I've heard this all before, with Ivy Bridge and Sandy Bridge. Neither measured up. While the GT3e is a much better step forward compared to the last couple generations, they're still WAY behind the curve.

Status
Not open for further replies.