Report: Intel Haswell CPU Pricing Possibly Leaked

Status
Not open for further replies.

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010

Prices are in line with Ivy Bridge, and seeing how the relative improvements in performance are significantly smaller than 5-6 years ago, I think this is pretty expensive.

DRosencraft

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
Considering how much more expensive Intel tends to be relative to AMD, I'd say one of three things are happening here;
A. Intel is conceding smaller margins because the step up in performance is not as significant.
B. Intel is trying to put pressure on AMD by pricing much closer to them.
C. These leaked prices are false.

hixbot

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2007
Cheap? These prices are exactly in line with Ivy Bridge and Sandy Bridge before them.
3 years with no significant change in performance per dollar. That is truly disappointing.

So the new processor anyone will ever need for gaming is the 4670K and the top is the 4770K.

At least they're consistent.

Microcenter will probably sell the 4470K for $279.99 and the 4670K for $189.99.

Soma42

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010
I'm surprised that these don't cost more considering AMD's mediocre performance as of late. Here's to hoping for Steamroller and competition!

snwkill

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2011
What's the point? Until they figure out a way to bust through 4, 5 , 6 GHz stock there is absolutely no reason to upgrade. No (decently made) game is CPU bottlenecked and the pipelines of the Ivy bridge aren't even close to being fully utilized.

snwkill

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2011
What's the point? Until they figure out a way to bust through 4, 5 , 6 GHz stock there is absolutely no reason to upgrade. No (decently made) game is CPU bottlenecked and the pipelines of the Ivy bridge aren't even close to being fully utilized.

Correct Answer: C

Intel has been talking about an across the board +$30 price increase for Haswell. Those prices are basically where the IB chips are being sold today. Can't see it. They raised their prices $15 across the board for IB... i can't see them sticking to the same prices for Haswell

Tedders

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
Either way I am happy for this news. I am waiting for Haswell to come out to replace my AMD Phenom II build that is really getting long in the tooth. If I can get new Haswell and Z87 parts for around the same price as IB and Z77 parts then thats good for me.

borisof007

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010
As someone who has a Core 2 Quad, I could definitely see myself spending the money to upgrade. Most of you commenting probably already have newer processors than I do, so upgrading for you might not make sense, but for me it does!

i've got a PhII x4 965... unless the haswell is a nice jump in performance i think i'll skip upgrading again. right now this chip is basically indistinguishable outside of benchmarks from an i5-3570k... until i see a chip that is noticeably better i'll stick with this warhorse.

jamesjones_det

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2007
I'm not sure why everyone in here is thinking Intel is doing any of this to battle AMD. They are not. Intel is trying to get the performance per watt to a point that they can compete with ARM.

That's why you see the same clock speeds for 4 years now (3.5 GHz at the high end). While wattage has dropped more then 50% (not TDP, actual wattage).

Intel is probably one gen away from hitting the point that watt for watt they can complete with ARM, so I would expect to see this same line up for Broadwell as well.

loops

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2012
So we need an new mobo and a new chip for an upgrade that feels more like a side-grade?

I can't see anyone getting their monies worth if they have SB/IB. I am starting to think that the i5 2500k was a peak in terms of bang for you buck.

IMO, this (insane cost to upgrade for little reason to) is yet another reason why PC sells are slowing.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
Once again, people flooding the comments section with claims of no improvement from Intel and a steady price, expecting them to cut prices and take a hit on profits despite a lack of compettition forcing them to do so.

Heck, ever since IVB all i've been reading is people claiming that the next i7 will be north of $350.

Today, a core i3 meets or beats my Core 2 Quad Q8400 in almost everything, despite my CPU being a $200 part (more, at launch).

Exactly, same here. Will probably get a 4770K, if finances work out.

Again, +1. It's like half the Tom's community refuses to read most of the analysis articles...though AnandTech is usually more in-depth with Intel-related stuff.

laststop311

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2010
These prices are neither expensive nor cheap. Though it is disappointing that the prices are remaining static compared to ivy bridge. In that sense they are expensive, in the tech world prices are supposed to go down over time but sandy ivy and haswell has remained flat on price.

when amd threatens intel again you'll see all sorts of innovation. till then... intel will pear down their desktop cpus to compete with ARM.

Status
Not open for further replies.