Report: Intel to launch Ivy Bridge on April 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

admir00

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2011
[citation][nom]frozonic[/nom]come on...april 8?? this is because AMD and their lack of competitive CPUs they have....[/citation]

yup

memadmax

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
[citation][nom]frozonic[/nom]come on...april 8?? this is because AMD and their lack of competitive CPUs they have....[/citation]

Have some patience.... I'm sure your 3960x is so obsolete by now that it just dogs down when its running solitaire.....................................

Haserath

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
[citation][nom]memadmax[/nom]Have some patience.... I'm sure your 3960x is so obsolete by now that it just dogs down when its running solitaire.....................................[/citation]
Ikr. Every time a new processor is released, the older stuff just gets slower! :sarcastic:

g4114rd0

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2011
the Rain & ThunderBottleneck Blues isn't bad by any means..but largely instrumental....Obviously.

is hitting the hops KunFusion Family.

kcorp2003

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
I remember reading somewhere that the introduction of ivy bridge will phase out the dual cores and make the quad cores mainstream while the 8 cores will be the "new" high end.

The i7-3770k will be an interesting benchmark review against the extreme sandy bridge CPUs and i7-2600k. I am looking forward to this tom.

mforce2

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2006
I'm sure most people will have enough CPU power even with an I3 or a Phenom II x4 but meh ...
It's funny to see people getting the latest and greatest Intel CPU equiped laptops so they can browse the net , IM , read mail , listen to music , use Office and maybe even watch a HD movie ....
I have a Phenom II x6 and it's way above what I need.

p05esto

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
I've been waiting for Ivy Bridge for a while now. My Core i7 920 is fast.... but Ivy Bridge will be a nice upgrade in a few months. Personally I can't wait!

tomfreak

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
So Intel, when u gonna release a 95TDP higher clock Ivy bridge? not just same clock CPU as sandy bridge. I have my 2500K, I have money, I want a higher clock 95w TDP Ivy.

Screw u Intel.

salgado18

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2007
[citation][nom]mforce2[/nom]I'm sure most people will have enough CPU power even with an I3 or a Phenom II x4 but meh ... It's funny to see people getting the latest and greatest Intel CPU equiped laptops so they can browse the net , IM , read mail , listen to music , use Office and maybe even watch a HD movie .... I have a Phenom II x6 and it's way above what I need.[/citation]
My Athlon II X4 is handling everything I throw at it. Let Ivy Bridge come! And then let software that needs it come eventually.

xophaser

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2007
I am planning to get a new laptop, with ivy bridge-mobile, thunderbolt and window 8 coming in later next year, it is all lining up.

rakeshsachdev2003

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2011
It delayed and missed the back to school refresh in Jan. But,need to compare the performance of AMD bulldozer and INTEL ivy as gfx capacity doubled from last time. That will result in wait for PC refreshes til April for people as going for SNB will not have much gains.

[citation][nom]kcorp2003[/nom]I remember reading somewhere that the introduction of ivy bridge will phase out the dual cores and make the quad cores mainstream while the 8 cores will be the "new" high end.The i7-3770k will be an interesting benchmark review against the extreme sandy bridge CPUs and i7-2600k. I am looking forward to this tom.[/citation]
Nope
IB is just a refined SB with a new integrated GPU. It will bring new features (thunderbolt, WiDi, etc) and some new/better chipsets, but the only real performance increase will be due to the die shrink, not any changes to core count or architecture. They are investing heavily in their onboard GPU and are trying to match AMD for integrated graphics within the next 3 release cycles, so expect your largest improvements there. Otherwise expect a 5-10% increase in processing power this time around, followed by a better increase the following cycle when the new architecture (haswell I think it is?) comes out.
I think we will continue to see 2 HT cores for i3, and 4 cores for i5, and 4 HT cores for i7, followed by a 6-8core count for the "E" series (or whatever new marketing name they decide on at that point). The "well" series that will come next there is a lot of debate about. In theory win8 is ready to take advantage of 'many core' systems (alluded to in the build conference), which I take to mean that they are catching wind that we will be seeing 12+ core systems in the relatively near future (meaning before win9 comes out). That would co-inside with the "well" series, and we may see a dramatic change and completely gloss over 6-10 core processors, and instead see many core processors with lots of little relatively gutless cpu cores. But that is a complete stab in the dark, and just my thought with absolutely nothing concrete to back it up with except for the fact that this is what AMD is beginning to move towards with Bulldozer, which generally means Intel is planning on 2-4 years down the road (example; 64bit, duel core, etc).

But who knows! The future is about as predictable as a good woman, and like a woman even the future itself could not tell us what is in store for us even if it wanted to.

G

Which if any of those chip sets have 2 full speed PCIe slots for 2 video cards?

G

Wait wait wait! I heard from the numerous AMD fanboys posting here that without AMD being competitive Intel would jack up their prices, yet here we see Intel leaving prices practically the same with around ~$330 for the high end quad core unlocked cpu.

While at the same time AMD is replacing their previous generation top end 6970, which cost $370 at release, with a 7970 which will cost $550, increasing the cost by about 50%! because Nvidia won't be able to compete for a couple months.

So while Intel will be without real competition for many months if not years they are not jacking up prices like the AMD apologists scream; while AMD itself jacks up the price when given even a few month window of superiority.

Status
Not open for further replies.