Report: Microsoft to Buy Nokia Mobile Division

Status
Not open for further replies.

rpgplayer

Distinguished
May 27, 2010
didn't microsoft already try the cell phone business? the kin 1 and kin 2? from what i recall they couldn't even get microsoft employees to use them.

efta

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2011
Desperate situations call for desperate moves. Microsoft and Nokia are two desperate companies.

deltatux

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2008
Having a former Microsoft exec running Nokia was a terrible idea. As each day passes, more and more I believe Microsoft planted Elop to weaken Nokia down even further. First, the Windows Phone deal, now this?

I already vowed that my Nokia 5800 is my last Nokia phone when the Windows Phone deal happened, if this happens, I'd be even more pissed.

Nokia's a great hardware company and Elop is dismantling it piece by piece and only benfitting Microsoft while doing so.

qhoa1385

Distinguished
May 8, 2010
IMO
Should Microsoft buy Nokia? No
Should Nokia start switching to Android and WP7 OSes? Definitely yes!
Symbian is so outdated now... (as of Dev supports and apps)

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
I wouldn't be surprised if something good actually came out of this in the end, Nokia have always made quality phones that won't die a day after the warranty is out. They don't require its users to "hold it right" and it wouldn't take them around a year to overcome the "engineering difficulty's" to release a phone in another color.

Microsoft on the other hand make solid corporate trusted software, combine the two and market it right and there could be a major success.

G

Fully integrated Skype on my Nokia W7 Phone with best in class HD capable camera, I want one NOW!

Thank goodness my contract still has three months, I so so hope good things are available, if so, good bye HTC and WINmo, my long long time friend (all the way from XDA Exec)

helmto108

Distinguished
May 13, 2011
Isn't Nokia huge in Europe? This has potential. Microsoft is trying very hard to branch out from just a computer platform.

Aravind Aarumugam

Distinguished
May 11, 2011
If i were Stephen Eloop i will not let this happen not until next year!

They throw the Ovi branding down for building back the reputation of the name Nokia yesterday , and now i hear this .,just terrible.

Nokia in a in a whirl. Unclear of it's path and current status and future.

I think it was happy on the sales volume front and now deeply regrets it.

They should atleast stop these rumors going around

Aravind Aarumugam

Distinguished
May 11, 2011
[citation][nom]helmto108[/nom]Isn't Nokia huge in Europe? This has potential. Microsoft is trying very hard to branch out from just a computer platform.[/citation]
It's failing in Europe and also in Asia :( Samsung and other manufacturers are gaining up.
Apparently Ericsson is also losing out.

mirkec

Distinguished
May 17, 2011
No one can match Nokia in dumbphones. But it's been steadily loosing market share in the more profitable smartphone market segment.

Microsoft of the 1990s has been quite paranoid under Gates. In the middle of past decade, under Ballmer, MSFT has become Mr Nice. But in the last year or so, Microsoft has become paranoid about possibly missing the next big thing.

Its Xbox efforts have resulted in having an undeniable presence in the living room. Its smartphone and tablet efforts were not awarded with huge market share, although it was one of the first vendors to offer a solid Windows Mobile OS and Windows PC Tablet formats.

With its own hardware design, MSFT can take on AAPL, head to head.

twu

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2007
[citation][nom]Flameout[/nom]i thought people would know by now that microsoft are evil[/citation]

Evil? well I don't see that by compares to Apple and Google tracking you where you went for the past year. Or you just saying that you like to pirate microsoft's software.

twu

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2007
[citation][nom]deltatux[/nom]Having a former Microsoft exec running Nokia was a terrible idea. As each day passes, more and more I believe Microsoft planted Elop to weaken Nokia down even further. First, the Windows Phone deal, now this?I already vowed that my Nokia 5800 is my last Nokia phone when the Windows Phone deal happened, if this happens, I'd be even more pissed.Nokia's a great hardware company and Elop is dismantling it piece by piece and only benfitting Microsoft while doing so.[/citation]

Just a life cycle. It's a burning platform, like palm, both are dead platforms....

epdm2be

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2011
[citation][nom]qhoa1385[/nom]Symbian is so outdated now... (as of Dev supports and apps)[/citation]

SYmbian is NOT outdated. It's the only platform with decent core phone features. It's the only true low power high performance OS (it needs significantly less powerfull cpu's and significantly less memory while yet maintaining a terrific feature set). It has great media capacities including FM-TRANSMITER and subtitles!!! There is a great amount of development tools even easy ones like QT. So all you do is just repeat what the Android/apple-fanboys say without any knowledge.

In fact some features aren't even in MSFT's top o/t line Windows phone TODAY (call-recording, copy/paste, FULL multitasking etc...) and you dare to call Symbian outdated.

Not to mention Nokia's hardware is topnotch considering the lower prices that's been asked for their devices. This is wat some of you seem to forget. A Nokia c7 which is suposedly middle-class but which has most o/t high-end features of it's expensive sibling cost significantly LESS then a low-end iPhone 3G 8GB.

I don't get it why everybody is picking on Symbian? It's the only phone with reall usefull interactive widgets (e.g. the notifications widget not only shows what events you missed but also the text of the missed SMS, appointement, email, etc...). Not some stupid icon with a number on it. The same goes for the email widgets (which shows the last 2 messages), RSS feeds etc... It's obvious that most of only took the time to play with a Nokia device for 5 minutes in a departement store instead of actually USING the phone for a couple of days or months.

And yest Nokia embrasses the one real failure in this industry... Microsoft.
Shame on you Nokia!

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]deltatux[/nom]Having a former Microsoft exec running Nokia was a terrible idea. As each day passes, more and more I believe Microsoft planted Elop to weaken Nokia down even further. First, the Windows Phone deal, now this?I already vowed that my Nokia 5800 is my last Nokia phone when the Windows Phone deal happened, if this happens, I'd be even more pissed.Nokia's a great hardware company and Elop is dismantling it piece by piece and only benfitting Microsoft while doing so.[/citation]

Nokia was on a slide into nowhere long before Elop joined.

Maybe MS should have sat back and watch them disintegrate as HTC, Samsung and Apple carved up the world smartphone market between them, MS is doing Nokia a favour.

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
[citation][nom]macewrox[/nom]Anyone else feel like Microsoft is pacman eating up all sorts of other companies?[/citation]
Anyone else feel like Microsoft is acquiring other companies just like all large companies do and have always done as part of normal business operation?

rohitbaran

Distinguished
[citation][nom]epdm2be[/nom]SYmbian is NOT outdated. It's the only platform with decent core phone features. It's the only true low power high performance OS (it needs significantly less powerfull cpu's and significantly less memory while yet maintaining a terrific feature set). It has great media capacities including FM-TRANSMITER and subtitles!!! There is a great amount of development tools even easy ones like QT. So all you do is just repeat what the Android/apple-fanboys say without any knowledge.In fact some features aren't even in MSFT's top o/t line Windows phone TODAY (call-recording, copy/paste, FULL multitasking etc...) and you dare to call Symbian outdated. Not to mention Nokia's hardware is topnotch considering the lower prices that's been asked for their devices. This is wat some of you seem to forget. A Nokia c7 which is suposedly middle-class but which has most o/t high-end features of it's expensive sibling cost significantly LESS then a low-end iPhone 3G 8GB.I don't get it why everybody is picking on Symbian? It's the only phone with reall usefull interactive widgets (e.g. the notifications widget not only shows what events you missed but also the text of the missed SMS, appointement, email, etc...). Not some stupid icon with a number on it. The same goes for the email widgets (which shows the last 2 messages), RSS feeds etc... It's obvious that most of only took the time to play with a Nokia device for 5 minutes in a departement store instead of actually USING the phone for a couple of days or months.And yest Nokia embrasses the one real failure in this industry... Microsoft.Shame on you Nokia![/citation]
+1 Android may be well featured, but it sucks battery life like anything. Where are the good old phones that ran on Symbian or JAVA and gave talk time of 12-13 hours! I hope Nokia kicks out Stephen Elop.

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
[citation][nom]epdm2be[/nom]And yest Nokia embrasses the one real failure in this industry... Microsoft.Shame on you Nokia![/citation]
An west Nokia embassies the won real failer in thin industy... Microsoft.Shane in you Nokia!

Status
Not open for further replies.