Report: Microsoft's April Xbox Event Pushed to May 21

Status
Not open for further replies.

meluvcookies

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2009
Trying to figure out a way to extricate themselves from the current pile of poo they've stepped in with this "always on" and "deal with it" attitude, no doubt.

p05esto

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
Hopefully they are removing the DRM, always on internet requirement and innability to play used games. MS is seriously pissing me off these past few years. Damn you Microsoft I was your biggest fan and now I'm starting to hate you. Do you even know what that means when your fans are turning on you? There are not as many MS fans left out there for you not to care. DAMN YOU MICROSOFT!!!!

Immoral Medic

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2010
Honestly, there aren't enough xbox exclusives that I enjoy currently that would warrant me to buy the next xbox. I hardly use my current 360. I will stick with my PC and hopefully grab a Wii U later this year when the new mario galaxy and wind waker HD comes out. I hope they come out with some good titles to make me want to buy the new xbox, but right now, I just don't see them since I can get most games on PC anyways.

shikamaru31789

Honorable
Nov 23, 2012
Well, at least we'll be hearing about the Next Xbox before E3. As for all these negative rumors, I doubt any of them are in the actual console, even if they were going to be in it, Microsoft has time to make sure they aren't now that they've heard all the criticism, which may be what the event delay is all about.

[citation][nom]aggroboy[/nom]Question: Assuming Christmas 2013 release, can Microsoft still increase the specs of the final device?[/citation]
Well, they could have potentially had time to change it once they saw the PS4 unveiling. I doubt they'll have made it more powerful than the PS4, though they may have increased it some, to get it within about 10% of the PS4 instead of the 30% the leaked specs place it at.

hakesterman

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2008
The new Consoles are going to get left in the Dust. People will not tolerate company's like MS. or Sony dictating weather or not you have internet or want to play used games. Their digging themselves into the Sand, but it's a war they have no chance of ever winning.....

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
Since they already officially claimed it's existence by scheduling such a event for it. With this no doubt being one of the biggest topics about it and it being a negative one at that, it looks bad that they won't at-least assure that the console won't require such before hand. If it doesn't have that requirement there is no reason to hide the lack of it. But again assuming that it does not, it also does not help that they will instead have to address it during the event. This is simply time wasted when instead it could be properly used to early market the product.

But if it is true, this vastly unpopular requirement will be a huge test towards console gamers. Will the gamers show they are addicted to consumerism and will buy things no matter how much they object to it? Or will they stand their ground and make Microsoft's next console a flop and will cement the path for future consoles to avoid ever trying that again.

The future of the consoles depends on this, if console gamers accept it expect Sony and Nintendo to follow. because the game publishers will demand it. The ball is in your court console gamers.

siuol11

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
[citation][nom]aggroboy[/nom]Question: Assuming Christmas 2013 release, can Microsoft still increase the specs of the final device?[/citation]

Absolutely not. Tape out to production silicone takes 16 months, and it is highly doubtful they'd plunk down the considerable amount of cash it would take to make a late-in-the-game change that wouldn't net them more than a 10% increase anyways (unless they re-engineered the silicone, cooling system, etc. from the ground up)

rcfant89

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2011
Vote with your dollar. Do not buy unless you approve of the "always on internet connection requirement", the new game requirement, i.e. you cannot play used games, etc. Game companies should not tell its users what to do, users should make demands of the game companies since we are, after all, their paycheck.

This type of direction is what RUINED battlefield 3 for me. I paid $60 and despite the game itself being great, the "add ons" ruined it. Required to be online? No. Required to launch a browser to play? No. Required to run an additional program (origin) and listen to what origin says? Hell no. I buy a game, I want to own it and do with it as I please (personally). It is outrageously frustrating to not be able to play a game I paid for without the internet, especially when it doesn't need the internet (i.e. campaign).

This type of thing will never see another dollar from me. Ever. And if you buy these products, you are encouraging these companies to continue yanking us around.

zedon

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2011
[citation][nom]hakesterman[/nom]The new Consoles are going to get left in the Dust. People will not tolerate company's like MS. or Sony dictating weather or not you have internet or want to play used games. Their digging themselves into the Sand, but it's a war they have no chance of ever winning.....[/citation]

You only hear negative rumors because those are the only ones that stick and there are so many paranoid conspiracy theorists on the internet if you believe this crap you're an idiot.

The vast majority of people don't care, they already have internet on all the time. It's a few % that live on the bubble that are concerned. Do you really think most under 18 care about that or people in cities or people with half way decent jobs. I doubt they will have always on but I think they will give that option to game makers for their game.

Also I think they will do something to make sure they get a cut of the used game market as they should, gamestop is just a vulture and ripoff.

jdwii

Splendid
Their really is a reason why their waiting and waiting to tell everyone, Like Bulldozer, like other products when its not as good they don't release nothing special before the product.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
I am getting pretty sick of hearing all about one single thing that is being blown out of all proportion and solid information on the subject is missing. All it does is leave fantasists and paranoids to out the inevitable "but what if????" that becomes fact and a huge bandwagon goes into super ape-shit mode
Steam needs to be in Online mode all the time, unless you deliberately switch to offline mode and then all your Internet multiplay (but not LAN play) is borked - nobody cares about that, it is a universally accepted system of being "always connected" and for consoles to do the same is suddenly a bad thing?
Before you retort, I already know it, you want to play used games, you think if your internet drops out you will not be able to play single player, you think they are spying on you, you need a tin foil hat
If you don't like it, buy a Playstation 4 or a PC - uh oh - same deal - well, you can always go for Nintendo - good luck with that, enjoy playing Forza on that, not!

evilsizer

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2009
So does anyone else feel that Microsoft is running out of ways to shoot itself. How many products are they going to take the postion of the customers will just have to deal with it before we the customers stop buying their products? I bought one copy of Windows 8 out of 4 computers in my home. I will not buy another. With Xbox taking the stand of no used games, I will not buy their system. It's as simple as that. I like some Xbox games, but making me pay full retail for each game just makes me more interested in going back to building gaming PCs or buying a Playstaion if they don't do the same thing as MS.

mobrocket

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2011
I got a feeling they have something up their sleeve they want to reveal

I don't think the always on connection will be true (ps4 had same rumor)

Look for a console about the same as PS4 and xbox will try to win with better software on the console
and the kinect 2

shikamaru31789

Honorable
Nov 23, 2012
Am I the only one who finds the number of people beleiving all these negative rumors disturbing? I stopped concentrating on all the negative rumors awhile back. Chances are they're being submitted by Playstation fanboys (lets not forget how easy it is to be a supposed "source", remember a few months ago when somebody submitted fake info and had it on every gaming website in a matter of hours, just to prove the point that gaming media will report on any supposed source without attempting to varify validity, just to get increased views), or possibly even by Microsoft themselves, in an attempted negative marketing scheme, where they release negative rumors before hand, then blow people away at the unveiling with none of the rumored negative features in the actual console. I highly doubt these rumors about always-online and used games blocking. Microsoft knows the intenet infrastructure in their leading market, the US, isn't very good, they aren't going to shoot themselves in the foot with always-online. As for used games blocking, Gamestop's CEO praised the Next Xbox after seeing it behind closed doors, he wouldn't praise a console that aimed to put his company out of business by blocking half their sales.

So instead I concentrate on all the positive rumors and leaks I've heard, like DVR and tv tuner functionality, streaming cable packages (one leak even said Microsoft is trying to convince cable networks to go a la carte so you no longer have to pay for bundles that include channels you don't want), Skype video and audio chat (including Skype audio chat replacing Xbox Live's own voice service in games which would also include increased party chat size), online play being added to Xbox Live Silver, 3 new Exclusive IP's in the works as launch titles. The Next Xbox sounds like one device that does just about everything you could need a living room device to do, play and record video games, watch and record local TV, Cable TV, or online TV (like Netflix, Hulu, and Crackle), browse the web, chat with others over Skype, listen to music, etc. One device that does it all.

rebel1280

Distinguished
May 7, 2011
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]ISteam needs to be in Online mode all the time, unless you deliberately switch to offline mode and then all your Internet multiplay (but not LAN play) is borked - nobody cares about that, it is a universally accepted system of being "always connected" and for consoles to do the same is suddenly a bad thing?

Can you say that LAN play wont be "borked" if not connected to the internet? If you cant answer that, then what you are saying is hearsay as well. Also, we have the option to download steam and buy the game through there or buy the game at a store or buy it from a friend. We dont purchase Steam along with our PCs. Therefore making our PCs still usable when not connected to the internet. If what is being said ends up being true (not saying it is or isnt) the next Xbox will not function when not connected. That is in fact a problem i refuse to have. I just wont buy it.

...Before you retort, I already know it, you want to play used games, you think if your internet drops out you will not be able to play single player, you think they are spying on you, you need a tin foil hat.

So now because someones ISP can be crappy (no fault of homeowner) or people in the house are watching netflix or hulu thus making MY online experience dismal at best, im now to be considered Fox Moulder?

...If you don't like it, buy a Playstation 4 or a PC - uh oh - same deal - well, you can always go for Nintendo - good luck with that, enjoy playing Forza on that, not!

So far the PS4 rumors (which is what we are all commenting on anyways - RUMORS) say they will not enforce the always on deal and i believe (IMHO) that anybody still playing the PC will find a way to bypass all the nonsense anyways. Since the inception of DRM and all that mess (good intention probably the work execution known to modern history) there have been "innovators" to bypass it. Also, FYI, Nintendo Wii has Madden 13 and so on, NBA 2kX and COD (not getting BF4 cause its so weak lol)

[/citation]

rebel1280

Distinguished
May 7, 2011
[citation][nom]shikamaru31789[/nom] So instead I concentrate on all the positive rumors and leaks I've heard, like DVR and tv tuner functionality, streaming cable packages (one leak even said Microsoft is trying to convince cable networks to go a la carte so you no longer have to pay for bundles that include channels you don't want), Skype video and audio chat (including Skype audio chat replacing Xbox Live's own voice service in games which would also include increased party chat size), online play being added to Xbox Live Silver, 3 new Exclusive IP's in the works as launch titles. The Next Xbox sounds like one device that does just about everything you could need a living room device to do, play and record video games, watch and record local TV, Cable TV, or online TV (like Netflix, Hulu, and Crackle), browse the web, chat with others over Skype, listen to music, etc. One device that does it all.[/citation]

IF this is true (dude, im with you in hoping with everything i have that it is) im game. But makes we wonder how big the HD will be haha. That being said, now im wondering if there will be different "tiers" of Nexbox. For example, "For an extra $10 you can use the DVR feature and $5 dollars more, you can play it on any device in the house!" So we would have to pay for Xbox Gold, Netflix, Hulu, a "potential" DVR function as well as DLC content. But if i can choose what channels i get from the cable or satellite company, HOLY COW will i buy it. I don't need to pay for 500 music channels just to get get ESPN, DIY, HGTV and SPEED!

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
They're hoping people forget about it by next month, actually. They don't want the question asked.

[citation][nom]zedon[/nom]You only hear negative rumors because those are the only ones that stick and there are so many paranoid conspiracy theorists on the internet if you believe this crap you're an idiot.The vast majority of people don't care, they already have internet on all the time. It's a few % that live on the bubble that are concerned. Do you really think most under 18 care about that or people in cities or people with half way decent jobs. I doubt they will have always on but I think they will give that option to game makers for their game. Also I think they will do something to make sure they get a cut of the used game market as they should, gamestop is just a vulture and ripoff.[/citation]

No smoke without fire.

The vast majority you're speaking of must be Glenn Beck's silent majority I always hear about. I was under the impression that MS wanted to sell this product in the U.S., where there are vast stretches of rural farmland, forests, and mountains that do not have viable broadband access but may still want to play games. More than 1% of Americans do not live in a city. I'm sure MS agrees with you that those people don't need to buy their system. Also, people under 18 don't need to care about it, because they don't subscribe to the internet company.

Let's not even get into the fact the major broadband providers want to nickle and dime and scam everyone as much as possible and drop as many limitations as they are allowed. Keep suckling on that teat, you'll need to suckle it as long as you play Durango.

[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]I am getting pretty sick of hearing all about one single thing that is being blown out of all proportion and solid information on the subject is missing. All it does is leave fantasists and paranoids to out the inevitable "but what if????" that becomes fact and a huge bandwagon goes into super ape-shit mode.[/citation]

It would be pretty easy for MS to silence this if it weren't true, right? All they have to say is "No way, that's absurd. You'll hear about it in May, but no." Why don't they just do that? Do they like negative press?

[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]Steam needs to be in Online mode all the time, unless you deliberately switch to offline mode and then all your Internet multiplay (but not LAN play) is borked - nobody cares about that, it is a universally accepted system of being "always connected" and for consoles to do the same is suddenly a bad thing? [/citation]

Yes, it is. This isn't Steam, and it isn't a PC. When Steam came along, the PC game industry was busy reaming everyone with crazy DRM schemes. Steam was the better option. Consoles have not had to worry about DRM schemes due to the different way in which they interacted. To bring it to an industry sector that HASN'T had to deal with worse will be shocking to console players. This doesn't include those who chose consoles because they didn't agree with Steam's methods to begin with.

[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]Before you retort, I already know it, you want to play used games, you think if your internet drops out you will not be able to play single player, you think they are spying on you, you need a tin foil hat...If you don't like it, buy a Playstation 4 or a PC - uh oh - same deal - well, you can always go for Nintendo - good luck with that, enjoy playing Forza on that, not![/citation]

It's reasonable for people to want to play used games, just like it's reasonable for people to drive used cars or sit on used furniture. Not everyone lives in the high income bracket, nor should gaming be a luxury only for those who can afford full priced games. It's reasonable for people to suspect they may be locked out of single player games without a connection since this actually HAPPENED already on PC. The insane theory that they want to spy on you comes from a real patent that suggested tracking the amount of people in the room and charging for content by the person. This is not a crackpot theory, as stupid as it even sounds to write it. It is something that was applied for. None of these are tinfoil hat theories like saying reptilians are controlling HAARP with wizardry, and all could be silenced with a simple denial from MS that clearly isn't coming. In these matters, silence is an affirmation, because a company would never admit to something that they know would hurt sales. Come May, or E3, or even November, there is going to be two possible answers. "You can play used games and be offline" or "No comment" The answer "Yes, we are going to take this clearly unpopular approach to please publishers regardless of what consumers want" probably isn't going to come out, even if it's true. PR is about distorting reality to be favorable to your cause.

Status
Not open for further replies.