Report: Nvidia 700-Series to Release in May; More Specs

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ikaz

Distinguished
I think the main issue with the 5GB or Vram is that it inflates the price, If you look at the cost of 670. The cheapest 2GB model sell for 370 while the cheapest 4GB sells for $440 so about $70 difference. So if they were to have a 780/titan LE or what you want to call it has a reference model with 2.5 GB for $70-75 cheaper while still having the 5GB model out there I think a lot more people would be happier or at least would consider upgrading.

rrbronstein

Honorable
Jan 2, 2013

LOL dude your funny. You have a 7970, you wont even need to upgrade for at least another year. You already knew refreshes were incoming, even the 8000 series you might not upgrade to, 7970 is still a fairly new card. If you were seriously considering upgrading for such a small generational leap, you either have money to burn or are uninformed.

omnimodis78

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
Why the mostly negative reactions to this? Firstly, we all know that nVidia is working on the next-gen architecture, and they are totally transparent about the fact hat the 700-series is based on the Kepler chips, so what's so wrong with nVidia doing a slight "shakeup" to their current model line for those who might now be interested in upgrading from, say, their Fermi cards. Say someone has a 560 but they didn't see much reason for to buy a 660 - now they might see it differently knowing that they're getting a 670 (760 Ti) but for less price than a 670 would have cost. If you already own a 600-series card, of course it wouldn't make much sense to upgrade, but at least it assures solid drivers for us for at another year or so.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009

top end cards are not geared for single screen, or even 1080p
they are geared for 1600p and 3-5 (6 depending on how you want the setup) screens

1080p 2gb is enough for all the bells and whistles i believe.
3gb is good enough for a single 1600p
but you want 3-6 monitors 6gb is what you want as a minimum, and the titan (thats basicly what the 5gb card is scaled back a bit) is powerful enough to drive 5 monitors on its own.

Verrin

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2009

It's not that difficult to find something that will consume all available VRAM, if you actually take the time to look. Just take something like Crysis 2, put it into a multi-monitor setup with high-resolution textures and with DX11, and be surprised how fast that 5GB gets consumed, and how little it appears to be in the face of huge rendering loads. These are high-end cards designed for huge and hungry tasks. There's also non-gaming applications (CUDA) that will gladly take advantage of such huge memory reserves. If they exist, someone will always come around to make sure every last drop of the available resources gets squeezed out. Believe it or not, there is a market of high-end gaming enthusiasts and GPGPU users for such a large amount of VRAM is very applicable. Besides, it wasn't even too long ago 512MB was consider ample memory, and now to really get the most out of games on moderate settings, 1GB to 1.5GB is closer to the minimum needed.

Most people anyway who are willing to drop hundreds of dollars on a card will do a little more research than just looking at the amount of memory as a reference to the available performance. Even for a novice, it's not hard to interpret performance charts from popular titles (which are all over the web, if the 2 seconds is taken to glance at any tech site). I honestly have never met someone who has purchased a card on memory specs alone.

slomo4sho

Distinguished
The real question is whether these re-branded 680s(770) and 670s(760 Ti) will allowed to run in SLI configuration with existing 680s and 670s.

Alternatively, I wouldn't mind paying a discounted price on the "older" generation cards :)

You think they are going to differ from the 680 and 670? The only new benchmark that is worth seeing is that of the 780. From what we can tell from the Titan, the 780 will likely sit 10-15% above the 680.

Have you actually seen the benchmarks of a Titan?

I can only hope that this 1) is true, and 2) drives down the price of the 670 and 680 by $100 respectively. I need a second 680 for moving up to a 2560x1600 monitor (I for whatever reason just cannot play a shooter on a 3-monitor setup).

gizmo11x

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2011
hey guys how reliable is this source? I just bought a 660ti yesterday. I can return it inside 2 weeks but it runs so silently, it breaks my heart. Should I return it?

hixbot

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2007
Seems like a dull release. Performance should be higher or prices should be lower. A new generation should be 20% faster for the same price. Seems like we are getting 10% faster for 10% more money.

The Titan only outperforms the GTX680 ASUS DC2T card by about 25% (on average). It wouldn't take much to nearly match the Titan.
Imagine paying $1200 for a Titan a short time before a $550 780 variant is released with 90% of its performance..

bowzef

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2010
wtf... and i'm thinking about upgrading grrr, this is soo annoying.. i don't want it be true. but if it is. then il have hold on for month to see what happens... and if nothing happens then im just that much closer to next cards. FFS

Status
Not open for further replies.