Report: Nvidia Delays Fermi to March 2010

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rambo117

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2008
[citation][nom]dark_lord69[/nom]My prediction:nVidia's new cards will be very fast and a bit overpriced.ATI will fight back against nVidia's flagship by releasing the 5890.Depending on the performance of the nVidia cards ATI may pull ahead or they may still be behind which will for ATI to release thier new flagship at a lower price. ATI may still try to attain the top spot thus causing them to release a higher performing card. 5900 series maybe? Only time will tell but I like to see that nVidia is trying to innovate and I am excited to see the benchmarks for these new "Fermi" cards.[/citation]
So in other words, history will simply repeat itself. Looking forward to the competition though!! Love it when prices drop :)

gnesterenko

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2008
Yea, if March is primary availability, you won't see flagship until June at the minimum. By which time ATI should be releasing its 6870 cards (or whatever they'll call em) which will do what Fermi does at 1/2 the manfucaturing cost. This doesn't bode well for nVidia, falling behind on market share, performance. Even if they do put out a monster GPU, they won't rake in the dough because they won't have the mainstream market - at best the niche market of enthusiasts/overclockers. ATI will have had almost 9 month to realize production efficiences and good, profitable yields on the 5xxx cards.

*sigh* THis is too bad, because what it means is that we'll have very exensive ATI cards for a while. Forget about the race to the bottom we had during the 4xxx cards release time. I guess Ishould just grab another 4870 and crossfire my cards and skip this current generation all together until later 2010.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

IzzyCraft

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
Sooner the card comes out the sooner ATI pushes their prices down and everyone wins.(assuming they finally got the A3 to actually work out in the performance/size they wanted) and everyone wins with cheaper more powerful gpus.

Hurry the f up nvidia but don't mess up so err keep going at the pace you have been with the proper amount of caution !

konjiki7

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2009
[citation][nom]gnesterenko[/nom]Yea, if March is primary availability, you won't see flagship until June at the minimum. By which time ATI should be releasing its 6870 cards (or whatever they'll call em) which will do what Fermi does at 1/2 the manfucaturing cost. This doesn't bode well for nVidia, falling behind on market share, performance. Even if they do put out a monster GPU, they won't rake in the dough because they won't have the mainstream market - at best the niche market of enthusiasts/overclockers. ATI will have had almost 9 month to realize production efficiences and good, profitable yields on the 5xxx cards.*sigh* THis is too bad, because what it means is that we'll have very exensive ATI cards for a while. Forget about the race to the bottom we had during the 4xxx cards release time. I guess Ishould just grab another 4870 and crossfire my cards and skip this current generation all together until later 2010."The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."[/citation]

This is exactly what i had thought when the femmi nvdia display at a convention was fake.(it was a 280) It's a level desperation i haven't witness in the computer industry yet. I start following technology news in 99 so.... I'm still somewhat new to this industry.

G

This sounds cool but then again Nvidia's not going to change computing overnight by themselves.

That being said I am still anticipating Nvidia's new cards but I might as well buy a 5970 because I don't see being able to take advantage of this technology for years. Whenever this is relevant we will actually have software that NEEDS more than 4 cores, SATA 1000 and SSD will be the norm, USB 3 will be have been out awhile, etc.

jonpaul37

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
lets hope it's not another one of Nvidia's clever re-branding schemes... I used to be a fan of Nvidia but lately they have been on the slack-wagon and this does not look good for ATI dropping prices in the near future, especially if Nvidia charges an arm & a leg for Fermi...

hannibal

Distinguished
You mean the middle and low end parts?
It is guite easy to tell. DX11 new gpu, dx10 or dx9 re-branding...
But yeah, it would be nice to see Fermi earlier than sooner, but it is so different kind of chip, that even drivers needs some time to get everything allright! It would be a catastrof for Nvidia to release Fermi with poor drivers, ATI had a little bit easier, because 5000 series is step up from 4000 series, while Nvidia 300 series is guite different kind of animal than 200 series was/is.
This give ATI some time to develop their 6000 series in guite pease...

xek

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2009
I'm not a fan of Nvidia GPUs, but I seriously hope this Fermi kicks ass, so that the competition of Nvidia and ATI continues on for a very long time...

NightLight

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2004
I can't wait to see the benchmarks. Untill then, my opinion is reserved, altough I hope it blows ati away, just to get the competition going again. If it's really groundbreaking, it will take a while before software can use the full capability of the card.

widcard

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2007
I think ATI has Nvidia right where they want them. ATI will heat up the price war right before Fermi release. Its very likely you will be able to pick up an ATI card that will give you the same or simulare performance to the Fermi for less money.

G

They're hoping 2012 comes sooner, then there's no one to complain about the lack of a working product :p

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]thepriest23[/nom]Meh, I can wait. I rather have a stable GPU than a non-stable one. It's going to kick ass. NVIDIA has never let me down, and I am all about performance. For those of you who do not understand the architecture of the chip, it's the most complex chip NVIDIA has ever made... so calm down and be patient.[/citation]

Isn't every new chip gonna be the most complex chip nVidia ever made? They can't seem to do small so they just keep getting bigger and more complex :p

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
this isn't good, the new hd 5xxx cards are stocking up really nicely, prices are starting to fall... yesterday was the first day i saw a hd 5850 for less then $300, i give it another month or two before they're back to regular pricing... and fermi STILL won't be out... if their flagship won't be out by june, i expect the hd 5870 to be around $300 by then

alikum

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2008
No one truly cares about the power of a single card. It's the value that matters most. After-all, most boards now-a-days support multiple cards anyway. Not to mention that the average video card development lifecycle is around 1 year. By then, your "best" card will be average.

idisarmu

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2008
Fermi=R600

Both were delayed, both are huge, chances are, fermi will flop as well.... now imagine if nvidia rushed and came out with a die-shrunken fermi by november- it would be the 3870/2900xt scenario all over

alterecho

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
what's the use of a processor then? they should utilize the entire 3 billion plus transistors to churn out 100+ frames out of crysis. it's been
3 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.