Report: Nvidia Delays Fermi to March 2010

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hixbot

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2007
Nvidia needs to devide it's products into two categories, gamer cards, and multi purpose gpu cards.
Otherwise they're making both types of potential customers pay for features they don't want.

Most of the people here want a gaming card, we don't feel like paying extra for features we don't need. Even if it's all pretty much included with the tech, we're paying a premium for the R&D.

liquidsnake718

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
Well well, at least I didnt wait as long as March to get a new GPU.... The prices of the Fermi (guessing gtx360 and 380) will be very very expensive considering the type to technology Nvidia is reporting. Even though it will be cheaper to create gpus with 2-3billion transistors, Nvidia is known to skyrocket their cards in the begenning. Just look at the GTX285! It is still more expensive than the 5850 which is why I actually bought an ATi card for the first time in my life in the 5850! After 5 different generations of Nvidia tech, they have lost the marketing war and from reading this article, Im not even sure if technology can save them. This is because I am sure the next generation of 6xxx Ati cards are already in the R & D stages and ready to be released by fall or at least the end of next year with ideas on how to one up Nvidias Fermi! Nvidia must have been working too hard on their Ion or something to let this happen to them? Or maybe this is their karma for making all of those Intel cartoons!

descendency

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
It sounds like the month you should be reporting is June and not March. March is when they'll start releasing Quadro updates. June will likely be the first GTX 380 or maybe May with mass market in June/July or even August. By then, Rumblings (or maybe even actual cards) of the 6870 will be arriving.

descendency

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
(Since their is no edit)

Fermi is the architecture for both the next generation General Purpose Computing Processors (Quadro stuff) and graphics cards (GeForce GTX). In case anyone was confused why I said June and not March. Usually the Quadro stuff comes out first and I even think NVidia acknowledged it was on pace to be out first.

JeanLuc

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2002
[citation][nom]SneakySnake[/nom] And by march ATI is gonna have all of its low and mid range cards out, which are the true money makers for a GPU company.[/citation]

Actually companies make most of their money selling the top end products, there's very little profit on low end cards hence why they has been talk about one of Nivida's board partners going out of business due to lack of top end GPU's hitting the market.

Swindez95

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2009
Hmm...im thinkin its too little too late like a few others have mentioned. I was thinking about waiting till the new Nvidia GPU's came about but those 5870's and 5850's are starting to look really good since prices are slowly falling and supplies are going up. Anyone of those would be a nice improvement over my poor ole GTX260 216. Only down fall would be no more SETI GPU crunching till an ATI client became available.

dredtom_79

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2009
well it seems to me that nvidia knows they lost the "pixel pushing" to ati, ati will always take them down on the price/performace, that's why they are concentrating on the parallel/CUDA thing.
their argument would be something like; yes it's expensive but you wouldn't need a i5 or i7 anymore, any cheapy crappy CPU will do, we take care of the processing, with us ur buying GPU+CPU!

ondigo

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009
Sooner they release the GPU is better for us consumers. Right now AMD is abusing its dominance and overprices all 5800 series. Look at the CPU market the competition between the AMD and Intel decreased prices for all AMD components why not for GPU the same. Hope Nvidia will keep in line with the schedule and ultimately release its new GPU which beat AMD. Anyway we as consumers will benefit from it.

juliom

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2009
[citation][nom]JeanLuc[/nom]Actually companies make most of their money selling the top end products, there's very little profit on low end cards hence why they has been talk about one of Nivida's board partners going out of business due to lack of top end GPU's hitting the market.[/citation]

Nope, most of the money is made on low and middle cards since their shippment numbers is much, much higher.

juliom

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2009
[citation][nom]ondigo[/nom]Sooner they release the GPU is better for us consumers. Right now AMD is abusing its dominance and overprices all 5800 series. Look at the CPU market the competition between the AMD and Intel decreased prices for all AMD components why not for GPU the same. Hope Nvidia will keep in line with the schedule and ultimately release its new GPU which beat AMD. Anyway we as consumers will benefit from it.[/citation]

5000 series overprices? Do you have any idea how much would a top of the line card cost 2 or 3 years ago? Something like 600$... Only the dual gpu 5970 costs that much, and it is DUAL GPU.

WHAT !! But Fuad promised it would be ready for

Oct... Nov... Dec... Jan... Feb... :heink:

Sounds to me like another re-spin if we're getting this kind of 'news', and I wouldn't be surprised if that 'March launch' date is the paper kind just to reviewers and that consumer volumes don't arrive until a while after that. :pfff:

It's getting to the point were it's likely to launch very near a refresh of the HD5K series, and also the AMD heck-a-core thing, which has had 3 months to analyze a target to hit. If nV is doing something more than just a bug hunt then it could b interesting, but if they are still providing the same solution they had slated for the fall, then it's definitely given everyone else a time to prepare for something whose surface secrets were revealed at the beginning of October.

April 1st seems like an appropriate launch date now after all the 'drama' so far.

TheKurrgan

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
I'm fairly sure nvidia isnt worried. They tend to blow ATI away when they get a small lead, seems bout time.
Be interested to see the benchmarks and what not. It'll also be interesting to see how well it plays with intel chipsets.

mrcmark

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2009
Can't wait for the new video card of nVidia to come out. I'm not really a fan, I just want the competition and innovation so that ATI prices drops.

Blow them away like they did with the FX series, eh !?! :sarcastic:

What actually tends to happen is one leads, then the other takes the lead, and then everyone switches positions a few years later, and so the cycle of GPU life continues.

And there was much rejoicing... hurray !!

mrcmark

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2009
[citation][nom]TheGreatGrapeApe[/nom]Blow them away like they did with the FX series, eh !?! What actually tends to happen is one leads, then the other takes the lead, and then everyone switches positions a few years later, and so the cycle of GPU life continues.And there was much rejoicing... hurray !![/citation]

right on man =)

jthome

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2009
[Jen-Hsun Huang] WTF?!? We're not going to make our deadline?!? That gives me a FEVER. And the only CURE to that fever is more CARTOONISTS!!!

Quick! To the drawing board!!!

G

ondigo: AMD is abusing their dominance? Last time I checked, AMD hasn't turned a profit in a long time, it's a little hard to overcharge when you're losing money and risk going bankrupt, combined with supply issues.

Intel and Nvidia, on the other hand.....

geekus

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2009
This story has a familiar ring to it.

http://www.fudzilla.com/content/view/14307/34/

Let's see how it works out for NVIDIA.

aungee

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2008
Nvidia has shot itself in the foot (..again) by trying to build something too complicated. They should have built on top of GT200 and had a separate team working on Fermi.

Status
Not open for further replies.