Report: Nvidia to Give Green Light for Video Card Designs

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

omnimodis78

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
[citation][nom]bllue[/nom]Glad I went and supported AMD with my new gpu upgrade recently[/citation]
You're glad you went and supported a company that can't put out decent drivers for their hardware?

Gundam288

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2011
[citation][nom]jtt283[/nom]This is not as bad as you make it seem. If nVidia were too draconian about it, they know they'd just chase buyers over to AMD. I think this is being done to ensure a certain level of quality and longevity in factory cards. It says nothing about limiting what buyers can do to a card (e.g. with Afterburner) after they've bought it.[/citation]
I would say it is. Just because this only limits what the OEMs/partners can make/sell.

What this could mean is no more factory overclocked editions as well as no more non-reference fans/coolers/etc because Nvidia doesn't agree with them for what ever reason.

This gives Nvidia too much power over what the OEMs/Partners can sell. And let's face it, they are not going to make it if they can't sell it and if everyone else is selling the SAME card.

I wouldn't be shocked to see 1 or more stop making Nvidia cards over something like this as time goes on if not after the current gen is done because of the hassle and limitations involved with this.

The approval will not be given if certain noise, power, voltage and heat levels are not met.
That's not being arbitrary, it's being very specific. It also says nothing about clocks. Perhaps nVidia is planning to bin their GPUs, and board partners can buy from different bins depending on how high they want to go.
There is really not enough information here to assume the worst.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
I think people are over-reacting a bit. I think this is just to prevent vendors from pushing stuff over the limit, or doing what MSI did.

At least, that's all i can see in this for now. Yes, it could be abused, but we'll have to wait and watch for that.

RonKinNJ

Honorable
Sep 14, 2012
I welcome this. I bought a Galaxy GTX 560 Ti overclocked, with a single fan. It didn't take long to figure out that the thing would overheat after 1/2 hour of Crysis 2. So now either I sell it to some other unsuspecting person, or fix it myself. I had to spend MY hard earned cash to make the card usable, when the manufacturer should have engineered it right in the first place. Now it works the way it should, finally.

lpedraja2002

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2007
Wow that sucks! Even messing with EVGA! Wtf were they thinking EVGA has got to be the most stable and reliable brand around and they sure differentiate themselves from the others with their overclocking tools. If Nvidia decides to stop manufacturers from making overclocking tools I will without a doubt switch to ATI/AMD.

thats a lie. evga is just the biggest brand. not the best

lpedraja2002

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2007
[citation][nom]TheBigTroll[/nom]thats a lie. evga is just the biggest brand. not the best[/citation]
I beg to differ, EVGA to me has been the most reliable brand.

borisof007

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010
A lot of folks here seem to interpret Nvidia as some sort of evil gatekeeper here. Really, Nvidia's just trying to protect it's brand name and make sure that 3rd party vendors aren't selling modified Nvidia cards that are dangerous (whether that be just in the form of the card dying much sooner, or much more dangerous in the hazard of a house burning down from an electrical fire brewing).

I think Nvidia has every right to make sure that these 3rd party vendors, who have had free reign for years and years, are finally having an eye kept on them to make sure that they're not doing anything dangerous with the cards in an attempt to outdo one another.

borisof007

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010
[citation][nom]TheBigTroll[/nom]msi wasnt doing anything over the limit. people should know that overvolting could be dangerous.[/citation]

MSI was completely over the line. Overvolting the cards to a dangerous level, knowing that the cards will fail much sooner because of too much electricity, and then knowingly selling said cards with that listed as a "feature" is stupid and reckless. Nvidia has every right to stop crap like that.

only stupids would be dumb enough to overvolt the crap out the card. its already known that overvolting could be a bad thing. just that people (who dont know what they are doing) go crazy with the volts

madjimms

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2011
This is pretty much the same practice any good company makes..... would you want a bunch of obnoxious loud teenagers representing your company? or a professional well represented businessman?

Loud,obnoxious,power guzzlin video card? or a sleek quiet energy efficient one?

(now I know many "enthusiasts" don't care about power consumption but I however do.)

madjimms

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2011
[citation][nom]borisof007[/nom]A lot of folks here seem to interpret Nvidia as some sort of evil gatekeeper here. Really, Nvidia's just trying to protect it's brand name and make sure that 3rd party vendors aren't selling modified Nvidia cards that are dangerous (whether that be just in the form of the card dying much sooner, or much more dangerous in the hazard of a house burning down from an electrical fire brewing).I think Nvidia has every right to make sure that these 3rd party vendors, who have had free reign for years and years, are finally having an eye kept on them to make sure that they're not doing anything dangerous with the cards in an attempt to outdo one another.[/citation]
I agree with you.

computerguy72

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2011
An authorized manufacturer program with some reasonable rails would have been better. Requiring design inspection is pretty draconian IMHO. Your design improvements are what lift you over the competition and it costs a lot of money to innovate over the next guy. Now this makes it 100x easier for Nvidia to just include your improvements into their next reference design and you get to say goodbye to your investment. This is really not a good idea in the long run. No doubt AMD loves this.

hannibal

Distinguished
This allso means that it will be more unlikely that customers will get really "bad egs" when buying Nvidia based GPU in the future, because there are minimum specks that have to be meet in "quality". It allso means a little less variation in prices, but not a lot, because there is no limit how much better you can do than those minimum specks.
But the consern above about losing confidential information is valid, but in anyway companies can buy product from competive manufacturer and examine it in their labs, so I don't think that it is so big problem than we can be afraid of. So situation is not much worse than it is today.
The problem is the extreme overcloking segment. Maybe there should be Nvidia sertifated and free form cards in the market? If you want to have "safe" choice, you can buy Nvidia sertificated card and if you are willing to take the risk, you could chose free specks GPU card and get more speed and maybe shorter lifespan for you GPU. It could be reasonable comromis and allow more new innovations than pure controlled manufacturing.

RADIO_ACTIVE

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
[citation][nom]jtt283[/nom]That's not being arbitrary, it's being very specific. It also says nothing about clocks. Perhaps nVidia is planning to bin their GPUs, and board partners can buy from different bins depending on how high they want to go.There is really not enough information here to assume the worst.[/citation]
Totally agree +1

alextheblue

Distinguished
[citation][nom]EDVINASM[/nom]Free market has never worked - fact. Everything needs regulation to certain extent.[/citation]Regulations are created by humans. Humans are imperfect. Hence, regulations often end up flawed, broken, outdated, or just plain bad. I don't know why so many people think regulations are some kind of miracle cure.

As for Nvidia's Green Light program? It is well-meaning and certainly beneficial in some ways. But it also will restrict manufacturers. So it's really a double-edged sword. Ask the manufacturers what they think of this lovely new regulation, comrade. I'm sure they'll tell you that they would rather have Nvidia stick to producing chips and stop meddling in their designs.

From AMD's perspective though, this might be a minor boon. If a manufacturer gets a design rejected by Nvidia they might stick to reference designs for Nvidia, and save the custom enthusiast boards for AMD GPUs.

Status
Not open for further replies.