Report: Nvidia Working on Second GK110 Consumer GPU

Status
Not open for further replies.
why are Nvidia making more of these and charging more insane prices? all they gotta do is lower the prices on their GTX 600 series a little bit and work on Maxwell geez...

DRosencraft

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
Yeah, unless they're planning something even more amazing for the 700 series, I don't see why they don't just sit on this a little longer and roll it into that newer series, instead of these weird, confused, half-baked attempts. This will only up the ante for the 700 series, which isn't itself bad so long as they can deliver on those expectations.

Sep 15, 2012
Nvidia should Rename the Titan as the Nvidia Titan Ultra!

Then, this could be the $599 Nvidia Titan GTX
Then, They should release a $499 Nvidia Titan GTS
Then, A Repeat of the legendary 8800GT, a Titan GT for $399
Then, Release a $299 Titan GS
Then, Rename the GTX 670 and lower it's price to $249 as something like a Titan Mini... take advantage of that short PCB

There, a Lineup that makes sense! and badass naming!

Then we can wait a Nvidia Zeus or Nvidia Olympus series!

Just no Nvidia Jesus series please...

ashesofempires04

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2011
I'd bet that the reason why they don't use GK110 as their 700 series, is because it's not particularly efficient, it suffers from yield issues due to the complexity, and AMD and nVidia are both realizing that throwing more SMX units isn't necessarily faster. The Titan isn't a newer, more efficient architecture, it's Kepler with near double the SMX units that the 680 has. When you compare Titan with a 690 (or 680's in SLI) the only real benefit is less micro-stuttering (a common drawback to SLI or Crossfire).

These new Titan-derivatives are only being released because nVidia is trying to use the chips that failed the binning process that would have put them into a Tesla or Titan GPU.

ShadyHamster

Distinguished
[citation][nom]battlecrymoderngearsolid[/nom]Nvidia should Rename the Titan as the Nvidia Titan Ultra!Then, this could be the $599 Nvidia Titan GTXThen, They should release a $499 Nvidia Titan GTSThen, A Repeat of the legendary 8800GT, a Titan GT for $399Then, Release a $299 Titan GS Then, Rename the GTX 670 and lower it's price to $249 as something like a Titan Mini... take advantage of that short PCBThere, a Lineup that makes sense! and badass naming!Then we can wait a Nvidia Zeus or Nvidia Olympus series!Just no Nvidia Jesus series please...[/citation]

You should be working for nvidia's naming division.

SirGCal

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
Well, Saturn has 62 moons, of which Titan is the largest... So plenty of other names to choose from (though only 53 have names if I recall...). So Hyperion, Rhea, Phoebe? Too many to choose from.

murzar

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012
[citation][nom]SirGCal[/nom]Well, Saturn has 62 moons, of which Titan is the largest... So plenty of other names to choose from (though only 53 have names if I recall...). So Hyperion, Rhea, Phoebe? Too many to choose from.[/citation]

It's powerful hardware.. if you were going to give it feminine names, it should be something powerful like 'Victoria' or 'Catherine'.

Sep 15, 2012
[citation][nom]ShadyHamster[/nom]You should be working for nvidia's naming division.[/citation]

Well... the Ultra GTX GTS GT GS thing already works, add in a mini for a rebadged 670 with a short cooler and tweaked efficiency, remove the Misleading number system, and Voila! Then they can have a Green Series with low performance GPU like a Titan Green or a Titan Lite...

And AMD can respond by offering an AMD Asgard Series

Seriously, they have a lot of employees and they just thought of naming Videocards with badass names now?

E-Peen buyers will totally dig an Nvidia Titan Series GTX Ultra and replace the SLI name with...

NVIDIA TITAN SERIES GTX ULTRA TWIN BURST! (YEAH, RENAME SLI AS THE TWIN BURST MODE!)

The nvidia 700 series is NOT going to be based off GK110!!! The 700 gaming cards will have their compute ability cut down (like GK104 and all the other kepler cores other than gk110). Putting lots of compute and pro functions into the core takes alot of die space that nvidia could use to make actual gaming faster. However if you like to do more that game ( like myself) having more compute power and pro features are really cool and can speed up gpgpu apps alot. (thats why I like the current amd hd7000's)

tomfreak

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
lets see..

GTX480/580 = 384bit + large 500mm2 chip + 48ROP = $499
GTX470/570 = 320bit + large 500mm2 chip + 40ROP = $399
GTX460/560 = 256bit + 330mm2 chip + 32ROP = $229-299

GTX Titan = 384bit + large 500mm2 chip + 48ROP = $999
GTX Titan SE = 320bit + large 500mm2 chip + 40ROP = $899
GTX680 = 256bit + 290mm2 chip + 32ROP = $499
GTX670 = 256bit + 290mm2 chip + 32ROP = $399
GTX660 = 192bit + 220mm2 chip + 24ROP = $229

I guess Nvidia is being a dick for overpricing the whole kepler line by almost double.

evga_fan

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2010
I don't see the point with this card as a consumer. Sure a cheaper Titan, yay! Now more of us can afford it! However if you're looking to spend that amount of cash, you might as well go full out with the proper Titan OR simply stick to the 680.
As for naming: I'd say "Titan SE" is the only logic name here, given their history of how they name cards. This is of course valid as long as they don't release a Titan with full blown spec with all clusters working/unlocked. In this situation "Titan" should be used for the full spec version since that is what you really should get from the chip in the first place. It's only when the chip goes out of the spec/exceeding the spec, when you should call something "Ultra" or whatever. However, then you have the problem of what you would be naming the other ones down the ladder: Titan SE, Titan SSE?

raxman

Honorable
Feb 8, 2013
Does anyone know if the OpenCL drivers work without the double floating point switch on? I have seem some benchmarks comparing OpenCL on Titan with the GTX690. My guess is Nvidia does not want people using the Titan for double floating point with OpenCL so they broke the driver on purpose. But only when the double floating point switch is on. This means the Titan is between the 680 and 690 in OpenCL speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.