Report: PlayStation 4 Rumored to Use AMD Fusion CPU/GPU

Status
Not open for further replies.

gilgamex

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2010
[citation][nom]A Bad Day[/nom]I hope AMD doesn't get rejected like the Apple situation due to insufficient manufacturing capability.[/citation]

Well if Sony expects availability from Nvidia, that is way more of a gamble.

queenfan

Honorable
Apr 4, 2012
Not a problem, SONY can purchase the manufacturing time at other foundries as well i'd guess. AMD is Fabless these days, so whether it's Global Foundries or TSMC it won't matter so much.

Darkerson

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
[citation][nom]A Bad Day[/nom]I hope AMD doesn't get rejected like the Apple situation due to insufficient manufacturing capability.[/citation]
Hasnt been a problem so far, considering they are in several consoles. But then again, they will probably just sell the customized ip off wholesale, like they did with microsoft for the 360.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
lets put this in to prospective, i believe current consoles are at .25 tflop, the cpu on the ps3 may push more than the gpu im not sure.

this being almost 2tflop... its not top of the line, but is far better than most computers have today, i could imagine that if epic gets there way, you may see the gpu side reworked yo push it to 3tflop.

but not only that, but if sony isnt pushing the billions into a custom gpu/cpu combo, than this may become the gold standard that pcs get held to with you have this much power, or possibly that they preform better on an apu than a slightly more power cpu and gpu combo.

i am likeing this.

[citation][nom]edlivian[/nom]That sounds like a HD 7850 gpu, which is pretty great for a console doing 1080p graphics.[/citation]

i have a 5770, that is far less powerful than what is proposed, but i have yet to play a game that cant play with great detail at 1080p, granted i turn down shadow detail in every game regardless of how well it plays just to push the fps a bit higher.

[citation][nom]edlivian[/nom]That sounds like a HD 7850 gpu, which is pretty great for a console doing 1080p graphics.[/citation]
I highly doubt it, consoles use overclocked versions of gpus, and a base clock for a 7850 is a 860mhz clock speed. since this one is 800 mhz, it has the same memory bandwidth as a 7750. a 7750 has 819.2 gflops according to wiki, and the 7770 is 1000 mhz with 1250 gflops. Paper wise, the gpu would be like a modified OC 7750.

Phyrexiancure

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2011
[citation][nom]soldier37[/nom]Uhm and my 2 gtx 680s are laughing at this right now, and by the time the PS4 comes out I will have upgraded again at least once to the 700 series cards and be even further ahead of the curve. Waiting on those glorious 4K LED 30 inch + desktop monitors to hit hopefully next year.[/citation]

Well to be realistic Sony probably couldn't sell massive quantities of consoles with two 680's even though it would be insane. Still nice too know pc gaming will be where the real capabilities are rather than lame consoles.

ukee1593

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2009
^^ And I bet all that cost a lot more than $400 US!!

++ In the past console makers have not depended on the hardware designer for manufacturing capacity too. For example the Cell BE processor in the PS3 (and the RSX from NVidia) are manufactured in Japan by a FAB that Sony themselves own, not by IBM's FAB in New York (who designed the Cell BE) or by TSMC (NVidia's normal manufacturing partner).

That being said, 90nm FABs were a lot cheaper than 32/28nm FABS, so it is very likely that this may be different for upcoming console generations, so SONY/AMD may be using GlobalFoundries for this APU after all!

++ Tahiti is the codename for the 7970/50 architecture. So this looks to be a downclocked version of the 7950 most likely. For this though the 7800 series architecture would be better suited as Tahiti's Compute sections would be completely wasted here in a pure gaming machine!!

G

not future proof enough
to expensive
not fast enough
it will hold back the development of high end games as the PS3 did

Zingam_Duo

Honorable
Mar 22, 2012
[citation][nom]soldier37[/nom]Uhm and my 2 gtx 680s are laughing at this right now, and by the time the PS4 comes out I will have upgraded again at least once to the 700 series cards and be even further ahead of the curve. Waiting on those glorious 4K LED 30 inch + desktop monitors to hit hopefully next year.[/citation]

And everybody will be laughing at you for spending so much to play console ports :D

Zingam_Duo

Honorable
Mar 22, 2012
[citation][nom]hasten[/nom]lol. So this thing is going to have a APU featuring a gpu more powerful than a discrete 7850? Not a chance unless this information is incorrect and is more along the lines of what the rumors were for the next Xbox and there a second GPU.This stuff is getting worse than sports reporting. Until I see any type of information coming from Sony or MS its all BS.[/citation]

That's a next year model, so why should it be impossible?

slabbo

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2009
I feel really bad for Sony, because they have absolutely nothing going for it. Sure you can put in a 7970 in their next console, but by that time PC users would have 8970's or even the 9970's for that 2014 release date. And do you even need a PS4 when you guys already have a PC? All you really need is gonna be a PC and a Wii U and you'll be playing 95% of all exclusives.

DRosencraft

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
I think the console makers should consider a Thunderbolt port for their systems. Hear me out; a common complaint some tend to have considering consoles is the lack of upgradability between generations. Adding a Thunderbolt port should allow for the later addition of an external gpu as a sort of mid-season upgrade. Just throwing that idea out there.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]slabbo[/nom]I feel really bad for Sony, because they have absolutely nothing going for it. Sure you can put in a 7970 in their next console, but by that time PC users would have 8970's or even the 9970's for that 2014 release date. And do you even need a PS4 when you guys already have a PC? All you really need is gonna be a PC and a Wii U and you'll be playing 95% of all exclusives.[/citation]

A stop gap measure is to keep the architecture (or avoid making too much modification) so developers can specifically program their games to the GPU, but give the outdated GPUs a die-shrunk. The volume of PS4 units produced should be sufficient to compensate for the cost of the die-shrunk.

G

This can only be a boon for PC gaming and for AMD. If developers can find out how to utilize Fusion processors to their max potential, imagine the performance gains AMD may see on their processors compared to Intel in the near future.

bernardv

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2009
As I see it will go with APU graphics for 2D (movies, browsing...) and then crossfire it with external GPU for 3D. Games that are written for the console and will pull 100% out of both GPUs should have enough muscle for some time to come. Remember, there is no DX layer here to slow things down.

If I'm right Crossfire will become mainstream, who'd thought that might happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.