News  Report Predicts Surging Laptop Prices Amidst Tariffs

southernshark

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
I don't believe it. Yeah, moving stuff out of China will be expensive. But you know, for many products we the consumers never got a cost decrease anyway. Look at Nike shoes and Converse, more expensive after moving. I'm sure big companies can move stuff and manufacture stuff in other places. China ain't all that.

D

Deleted member 14196

Scare tactics This is the ultimate greed by companies telling you they’re going to raise their prices All the while blaming it on something else

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
The industry will use any excuse it can to raise prices. This is nothing new and just scare tactics to push consumers into accepting higher prices.

This is also a great time for OEMs to start producing more AMD laptops. I'm still waiting to see AMD show up in premium devices. The performance (Ryzen 5 2500U specifically) is on par with Intel and runs cooler. It's time to switch.

shmoochie

Commendable
May 10, 2018
Did anyone actually look at the report? I legitimately don't understand why everyone is just saying it is just "scare tactics." China exports 90% of laptops to the US. It also outputs 35 times more than its closest competitor, which means companies will be hard pressed to shift production to some other place with no infrastructure. Why would we not see price hikes??

Reactions: MasterMadBones
Jun 18, 2019
Oh, we'll see price hikes. There's no doubt about that. What most people are saying here is who fucking cares? The companies could take a hit and sell competitively if they wanted too. But they won't. And that's fine. That's they're choice. But there will be companies who already produce outside of china, or who move their production over. And those will be the companies that remain competitive. That's the whole point in a trade war. Strengthen your own domestic industries instead of exporting so much goddamned cash into a foreign nation.

Sure, that will still end with Americans paying more. But at the same time, Americans will get paid more too. It's an issue that takes care of itself.