Question Report: Super Micro Dropping China-Made Components After Backdoor Reports

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
In the 1960's, China made a mistake in its nuclear programme, and allowed a high yield nuclear weapon go off prematurely, killing pretty-much all of its leading scientists and technologically-educated workers.
Even if the nuclear detonation part is true, it's quite improbable that the entire educated class of such a large country was concentrated in the blast radius of that bomb.

Have you not heard of the Cultural Revolution? It was an anti-intellectual movement lead by Chairman Mao that persecuted intellectuals and put them all to work in the fields. As a result, China's educational system and technological progress was halted in its tracks. After things settled down, it took a while to get the whole system running, again. I'm not saying this was the only factor contributing to China's technological retardation, but probably the biggest. I'm sure Communism didn't exactly help, either.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cultural_Revolution#Policy_and_effect

the government has a policy of continually "saving face"...which means that it lies to its citizens without any scrap of remorse, or any break in the stream of lies.
You mean like how they dissemble and repress information about the massacre of the Tiananmen Square protesters?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1989_Tiananmen_Square_protests#Death_toll

It's an interesting coincidence that we're just a week out from the 30th anniversary of that tragedy.

Since that time, China has been digging itself out of a self-imposed technological dark ages, and instituted policies of spying and stealing technology, so that it could repair the self-imposed destruction of its scientifically educated workforce.

China does not spy and steal technology because of the spying of other nations. It does so in attempt to regain the progress that China lost when it ineptly blew-up its own scientists--pretty-much all in the same disaster.
AFAIK, China has had a chip on its shoulder since the May 4th agreement, after WWI, if not going all the way back to the Opium Wars. China has a long history of being a regional hegemon and probably believes it as right and just to use any means necessary to regain what they see as their rightful position of power and prestige, in the world.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/May_Fourth_Movement

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
There is something that I can respond to rather than BITUSERS tripe and personal opinion and stubborn attitude towards different opinions and based fact.
As far as I can tell, your only purpose, here, is to spread anti-American propaganda. I will not legitimize such claims by addressing them as though they have any sort of merit. Of course, you mix in enough fact so as to avoid seeming completely out there.

I suspect you're even using a hacked account that probably just had a weak password.

I am an engineer that was Employed by the British Government to deal with some of the issues above.
Ha! Certainly not.

we are signed up to Official Secrets policies. I would love to expose many things that I cannot.
Pretty much 100% of online posters claiming to work for secretive government agencies do not.

Have you not heard of the Cultural Revolution?
The "Cultural Revolution" began 2 years after the detonation, and is quite typical of "Saving Face" manoeuvres used by those in power in China.

There is no advantage to be gained in arguing the facts of the errant detonation, nor the damage it caused to the scientific community in China at that time. It is sufficient that it took 25 years for them to recover from it, and the affect it had upon their motivation to catch up, technologically, with the rest of the world--policies instituted during that time persist today. If you are content in attributing it all solely to Chairman Mao's policies, I will not disabuse you of your comfort.

As I mentioned earlier. I'm restricting my participation in further discussion of this particular topic to those means which allow me greater freedom of expression without creating a circus-like atmosphere which would instigate thread closure.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
The "Cultural Revolution" began 2 years after the detonation, and is quite typical of "Saving Face" manoeuvres used by those in power in China.
So, the Cultural Revolution was a face-saving maneuver? Sorry, I can't agree with that.

I don't understand why you're so invested in this nuclear detonation theory. First, it's irrelevant to the discussion. It doesn't really matter why China has a chip on their shoulder. We can agree that, to a large extent, their development was delayed as a consequence of their own actions. Second, it doesn't strike me as plausible that they would concentrate the entire intellectual class of such a big country in one city. Third, enough information leaks out of China that such a tragedy should be much more widely known.

This has all the hallmarks of an unhinged conspiracy theory. The only part I can't dispute is that they had some sort of costly nuclear accident. That much is believable.

There is no advantage to be gained in arguing the facts of the errant detonation, nor the damage it caused to the scientific community in China at that time.
Okay, so let's drop it. Unless you can point me at some serious scholarship on the subject, I'm about as likely to believe it as the claims posted by our new friend.

I don't understand why you're so invested in this nuclear detonation theory.
Because I read the government documents that proved it to be a fact, and have had several discussions over the years with the principal members of the team that crunched the raw data that was downlinked from the VELA-B satellite that detected the blast; not to mention my own father who put that bird into polar orbit.

I don't need convincing, and I really don't care if you accept it, or not. It's no loss to me.

Okay, so let's drop it.
Please do.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Because I read the government documents that proved it to be a fact, and have had several discussions over the years with the principal members of the team that crunched the raw data that was downlinked from the VELA-B satellite that detected the blast; not to mention my own father who put that bird into polar orbit.
I didn't dispute that bit. I think I was quite clear about that.

What I take issue with is your assertion that this somehow wiped out their entire intellectual and educational establishment. And yet nobody's ever heard about it. That sounds wrong on so many levels.

It seems disingenuous for you to conflate this measurable and observable evidence with your more outlandish claims that are not observable from satellites and the hard data available to your father.

Most conspiracy theories have bits of truth, at their core. Just because one part can be proven doesn't make all of it true.

I don't need convincing, and I really don't care if you accept it, or not. It's no loss to me.
Well, you keep replying on this particular point, so it seems like you're invested in it, on some level.