Report: Windows 7 SP1 Coming Summer, Fall

Status
Not open for further replies.
ohhhh... early for a SP, maybe try to solve some security problems with the SP? and add support to the new things like USB 3.0 and ATI HD 58xx. I heard hundred of problem with Win 7 and 8GB or more on DDR3 RAM

randomizer

Champion
It's worth installing if you want to reformat, but it's a waste of time and disk space installing a cumulative security patch over the top of the security patches you've already got. That's basically what most Windows SPs are - cumulative patches.

jhansonxi

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
Service packs have become a marketing tool since the updates are usually already available. It would have to be substantial to have any real benefit (like XP SP2).

jblack

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2009
Isn't this going to screw some IT people? --- I thought Microsoft was going to stop offering Windows XP 18 months after 7 came out OR when SP1 comes out for Windows 7, whichever is sooner. I hope everyone has tested this before Microsoft shuts off the supply of Windows XP.

knowom

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2006
XP64 SP2 still is the best OS around overall to me. Microsoft needs to start taking a minimalism approach to OS's where users can pick and choose more of what is or isn't installed as part of the OS itself and leaner, cleaner, more efficient code. Black box for windows is a prime example of the kind of mentality Microsoft should be taking.

SchizoFrog

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009
I tend to reinstall every 6 months or so and a service pack is great for updating the OS security before I plug in to the net as it just makes it more simple. As for a waste of space, maybe it is... but my system drive has plenty to spare and my mass storage is on another drive.

SchizoFrog

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009
I tend to reinstall every 6 months or so and a service pack is great for updating the OS security before I plug in to the net as it just makes it more simple. As for a waste of space, maybe it is... but my system drive has plenty to spare and my mass storage is on another drive.

p05esto

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
I really hope they bring back the classic start menu, or at least make it MUCH more customizable. I want it LONGER so I can pin more programs....and I want to be able to add folders and group programs on the start menu (graphics, games, office, utilities, etc). The win7 Start menu is a huge disaster to power users and those with lots of programs and don't want to hunt through the all programs folder constantly.geeze.

The quick launch icons are also screwed up. Too much spacing between them and they don't stay put. It's a horrible step backwards.

I also don't like grouping of open windows on the taskbar. I turned the feature off but it still does it for some reason in IE. Not that MS is going to read this post....

rooket

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
I can already feel the thumbs down rolling in, but would be an opportune time for them to combat the rampant piracy that Windows 7 Ultimate edition has already gone through. Somehow I doubt they will though. As with any service pack released on XP or Vista, it usually is fully compatable with the pirated version.

My copies of windows 7 are all legit.

zendax

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2009
[citation][nom]randomizer[/nom]It's worth installing if you want to reformat, but it's a waste of time and disk space installing a cumulative security patch over the top of the security patches you've already got. That's basically what most Windows SPs are - cumulative patches.[/citation]

First, Microsoft recommends you install service packs through Windows Update, so it only has to download and install what you do not already have.

Second, even if you download the stand-alone version, you're not going to be doubling up on updates.

Third, service packs, while including all updates since the last service pack, typically contain OS enhancements and improvements that you are unable to otherwise obtain. Running with all the latest security updates isn't the same as running the most current service pack.

randomizer

Champion
[citation][nom]rooket[/nom]I can already feel the thumbs down rolling in, but would be an opportune time for them to combat the rampant piracy that Windows 7 Ultimate edition has already gone through. Somehow I doubt they will though.[/citation]
Microsoft don't really care about piracy. Market share is more important than pure sales figures, because control of the market means control over software standards. Once Microsoft software becomes the standard it takes over the corporate world where the real money is. Consumer sales aren't worth much except for market share.

Look at Internet Explorer. It throws actual industry standards out the window with shoddy implementations but because it is so widespread sites must be made to work with it anyway, thus it becomes the "pseudo-standard" if you like.

n3ard3ath

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2008
[citation][nom]randomizer[/nom]Microsoft don't really care about piracy. Market share is more important than pure sales figures, because control of the market means control over software standards. Once Microsoft software becomes the standard it takes over the corporate world where the real money is. Consumer sales aren't worth much except for market share.Look at Internet Explorer. It throws actual industry standards out the window with shoddy implementations but because it is so widespread sites must be made to work with it anyway, thus it becomes the "pseudo-standard" if you like.[/citation]

Right on the spot, sir. It's refreshing to read intelligent comments like that in here. Most people aren't wise enough to think outside of the box.

Status
Not open for further replies.