Report: Windows 7 to Hit RTM on July 13

Status
Not open for further replies.

Core2uu

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2009
So, does that mean an average Joe will be able to pick up OEM copies also from his nearest tech retailer or will he have to wait until Oct 22, for either the OEM or the retail copy?

Regulas

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
I wonder if people will still try and get copies of Millennium II, I mean Vista after 7 comes out, LOL
I am planning on getting a OEM copy of 64 bit home edition for my gaming rig later down the road. Will still keep my XP (dual boot) for legacy games for sure.

G

Don't forget that you can get Windows 7 at 50% off at several places, included Microsoft and Bestbuy until July 11th (I believe that's the date not sure.) On Windows 7 home premium it's $49 and for Business, it's $99.

cliffro

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2007
[citation][nom]Trek852[/nom]Don't forget that you can get Windows 7 at 50% off at several places, included Microsoft and Bestbuy until July 11th (I believe that's the date not sure.) On Windows 7 home premium it's $49 and for Business, it's $99.[/citation]

I don't want an "Upgrade" version, I'll pay OEM price and do a single clean install.

mcbowler

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2007
How is it an upgrade disk if you can do a clean install? Whatever.. I already paid the $49.00 I will find out either way. I hope a lot of people pay the $49.00. I think if they sell enough of them at $49 that they will realize it is more profitable at that price.

avericia

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2009
sicundercover
"You can do a clean install from the Windows 7 upgrade disk, same as you could in Vista."

The problem is that in order to install 7 you have to have a version of windows already installed on the hard drive in first place or they may let you install a new version of 7 without vista or xp on the hard drive already if you have your old vista cd or xp cd handy while you are doing the 7 install to verify that you own it before you can instal 7 off of its own cd.

Pain the ass upgrade, no thanks ill wait for my OEM copy too. I just want 1 cd to that I can instal from no B.S. unessasary restrictions :p

Core2uu

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2009
"You can perform a clean install of Windows 7 with the Upgrade media, as you could with Windows Vista."

Quoted from Paul Thurrott's website. His guess is as good as anyone else's until someone actually does the official upgrade media to test it.

hemelskonijn

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2008
I wonder if my super fine working VLK counts as a base for an upgrade, or in other words if i am a pirate and would like to go legit(ish) by buying the upgrade would it just be a media check (borrow any ones disk) or will it use my windows XP key in any way to check if the upgrade was legit ?

In a way allowing people who run a pirated version without problems for years to upgrade and thus going semi legit could be a good thing for microsoft however i dont think they will let those users get away with it that easy.

Core2uu

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2009
[citation][nom]hemelskonijn[/nom]I wonder if my super fine working VLK counts as a base for an upgrade, or in other words if i am a pirate and would like to go legit(ish) by buying the upgrade would it just be a media check (borrow any ones disk) or will it use my windows XP key in any way to check if the upgrade was legit ?In a way allowing people who run a pirated version without problems for years to upgrade and thus going semi legit could be a good thing for microsoft however i dont think they will let those users get away with it that easy.[/citation]

What I've heard is that there is no technical WGA-type check necessarily when doing a clean install. Pretty much what I've heard is that Microsoft trusts that you are an honest, law-abiding, non-pirate person that already owns a legit version of Windows.

In simple terms that means even pirates can upgrade and be running completely legit and genuine Windows.

Please correct me if I am wrong though.

I hope they clear up a few bugs - for some reason my MS bluetooth mouse occasionally gets lost in W7 RC - have to delete it and then rediscover it which is a bit annoying. And yes I put fresh batteries in it :D.

verrul

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2009
upgrade is pretty misleading unless you have the equivalent version of vista or lower you do a clean install. microsoft confirmed that you can clean install off rc1 already

cimtaurus

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
You do not need to have any other OS installed to do an upgrade install.
You only have to have the media and key for the previous version. So if you have Vista you can use the upgrade on a clean hard drive. There will come a point in the installation where it will ask to verify that you have the previous version, you pop in the CD and/or enter the license key and then continue with your fresh W7 install.
This is not new technology, they had the same option in XP years ago.

apmyhr

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
I'm kind of amazed to see so many Tom's readers who do not know that you CAN do a clean install with an Upgrade. It's been this way since at least Win 98 -> XP. I won't repeat cimtaurus, so look at his post if your confused on how it works.

Status
Not open for further replies.