Report: Windows 8.1 Finally Surpasses Windows XP

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

yumri

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2010

it still tells the software what version and build the computer is useing so the program collecting that infomation just sends out that kind of request to the computers on the network and gets all the replies then has a computer read and total them up. As Windows XP supports this network request they can collect how many Windows XP machines are on the network.
To that its only real restrant is it only can tell how many are on that 1 network while not really that much in the general public.

Duckhunt

Honorable
Sep 22, 2012
That is exactly it. The windows 8 tiles with apps is not faster or convenient it is just wasting time.

Hopefully windows 10 will fix it and let more customization and make use of 4k screens.

eriko

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2008
Only surpassed as it is forced upon us, whilst buying a new PC...

I've just purchased a Dell M3800, and despite it coming with a touch screen (that will never be used I expect), I've a nice fresh legal copy of Win 7 Pro ready to load.

So you can deduct those Win 8 numbers by one, and increase Win 7 by one thanks.

You even see ads on Fleabay; Reason for sale - Couldn't get to grips with Win 8, otherwise brand new condition.

Wimble

Reputable
Dec 5, 2014
@trevor_dennis - you ask why Windows versions are counted separately but all OSX versions are grouped? It's because you have to group all the OSX versions together to get a number close to the Windows numbers. If you considered Mountain Lion alone, for example, it would probably be under 1%.

BTW: what made you think OSX versions had names like Yellow Pebble?!?

The banking industry is STILL built on OS/2. Just a FYI. Also know a lot of companies with their VAX/VMS servers still up and running.

Why? Because upgrading is expensive, and the old stuff still works.

Paul Bialozor

Honorable
May 20, 2013
Ok, Microsoft STOPPED SUPPORTING XP and it takes almost 9 months fir Winbloz 8.1 to surpass it, and by .3%, that does not speak well of 8.1. I wonder is this would still be the case if Microsoft still support XP; I would venture to say, UMMMM NO... Wow, where ever do you get your Press People and Spin Doctors, the Obama Administration... Seriously Microsoft, WAKE THE EFF UP, and if you need to know what EFF means, well, simply put this is EXACTLY MY POINT....

Wo Ow

Honorable
Dec 17, 2013
Seems to me is a piece of engineered survey to help boost Microsoft window 8.1 to me. Let's consider those window 8x installed tablets and handhelds, the studies compared proportion with older windows OS, Apple OS and iOS, what about Android, Chrome, and Linux? I started to think this review is either bias or paid review by Microsoft help boost the newer Microsoft OS.
By the way, windows7 still dominant the desktop & laptop world because many people could afford to buy one refurb, old corporations pull system, lease expired system that OS included at nickel to a dollar.

G

I dont believe a word of it xp will still be going in ten years time

daddywalter

Distinguished
May 21, 2011
Windows XP was a reliable workhorse in its time, but it is time we put it out to pasture. Microsoft is in the business of selling software including operating systems, and it chose to stop supporting an older OS that, instead of generating revenue, was costing it money to support. That's its right. But in addition, the world has changed since XP came on the scene; malware is worse, and people are actually doing things with their computers today that XP was never intended to do.

Windows Vista was an attempt to improve on XP, and it flopped because Microsoft released it before it was ready. Windows 7 was "Vista done right", which actually proved Vista's worth by fixing most of its flaws. Windows 8 was too much of a departure for many users, while 8.1 gave us back some of the things we had come to love about previous versions of Windows. From what I've seen via the Technical Preview, Windows 10 will return much of the "traditional" Windows 7 look-and-feel while continuing the benefits of Windows 8.x's tiled apps -- and yes, there are some Metro/Modern apps that are worth using, mixed in with a lot of dreck.

A year from now I expect most business (and home) computers to be running just two versions of Windows: 7 (on most existing hardware) and 10 (on new hardware and some existing machines). Windows 8.1 will maintain a toehold on the desktop, but the original Windows 8 will be on fewer machines than even Vista. XP will remain on machines that aren't online, doing back-room tasks that don't require anything newer.

yumri

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2010

As many businesses still are migrateing to Windows 7 and can pay for extended support past what consumers get i am of the opinion that they will just skip windows 10 unless it really improves the workflow while not messing up to many programs already written that are in SAM which makes it a pain to access anything on the network.
Thus why businesses really didnt go to 8 nor 8.1 migrateing to 7 costs a ton to do as many things have to be rewritten for the new kernal if comeing from XP and windows 8 networking droped IPX support which was in XP so IPX based business networks will have to upgrade almost everything to go to windows 10 and that is a huge expense as very little to no viruses are still targeting XP spefically anymore but more of targeting windows 7, 8, 8.1, and 10 tech preview.
You also have will it be regonized as windows in Server 2003? Server 2005? Server 2008? as if it isnt regonized as windows then no upgrade will happen. Upgradeing a large business's computer system is in the millions of dollars so windows 10 might have come to soon for them.
Now for consumers well DX 12 is turning out to be only for Windows 10 from what i am hearing so gamers will have to get it to play those games unless the game studios also release DX 11 and/or DX9 support. Then of course you will have the new computer buyers who will just get it with the new computer as per agreement between Mircosoft and computer makers.

daddywalter

Distinguished
May 21, 2011
Large enterprises that rely on custom-written software have to consider operating system upgrades in their future plans. I doubt many large companies were caught off-guard by the end of Windows XP; they probably had their programmers consider Windows 7 or later as they wrote upgrades to that software, and have been buying some newer computers -- capable of running the newer Windows versions -- all along. Now the time has come to upgrade all their older hardware, and start running the newer software company-wide.

Many smaller companies using task-specific software from outside vendors, and those using more common applications (such as Microsoft Office), probably did suffer when support for XP ended.

But in either case, wise managers understood that they would eventually be forced to upgrade both hardware and software, and they should have made plans. Wise management begins budgeting before they actually need to make capital expenditures, knowing today's best hardware/software will likely be surpassed by at least one version before purchase time arrives; once the money is committed, the actual purchase is locked-in and it's usually too late for last-minute substitutions. (But not too late for upgrades offered by the vendor, as long as price isn't appreciably affected.)

Since the newer machines will probably also be much faster and more powerful than the ones they're replacing, they may even see an increase in productivity.

The point is, both big enterprises and small shops should have known that XP was on its way out and made plans to move to a newer platform -- Windows 7 was the obvious choice a couple of years ago, but today it could be either Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 if you need a new computer today and Windows 10 if you're planning to purchase next year. If Windows 10 turns out to be a mess similar to the original Windows 8, either Windows 8.1 or Windows 7 would be a fallback position since either OS would run on any hardware that's Windows 10-capable.

Yeah, money has been tight and no business wanted to buy new computers until it absolutely needed to. Well, most of them need those new computers _and_ a new version of Windows now. If the recovery from our long-enduring recession has reached them, they have the money or at least an improving chance of borrowing it as long as they can justify the capital expenditure.

As for home users/gamers, I doubt DirectX 12 will be a big deal right away. The number of games that require DirectX 12 initially will probably be pretty small, growing over time. But gamers are power-users who always want the latest and greatest, so they will probably move to new Windows 10-equipped computers for other reasons ... unless something else about Win10 turns them away just as the whole Metro-Modern tiled thing sent so many early Windows 8 users back to Windows 7.

Of course, I could always be wrong; my crystal ball has been acting up lately.

B-man33

Reputable
Aug 9, 2014
I really want Windows 10, but will wait until it finished, for now I am happy with windows 7 64 bit, Windows 8/8.1 is not for me, don't like the look of it, don't like using it, feels like I need a touch screen...

MidnightDistort

Distinguished
May 11, 2012

I don't think W10 will be a mess, but MS is still trying hard to make it look like W8x instead of giving users more options to employ W7 looks or if they prefer XP. Though i doubt many would want the XP look, i prefer the W7 look and will probably end up having to download a bunch of stuff to tweak W10 to look closer like W7, but that's if i ever get W10. Money is real tight these days and i'd rather keep W7 and utilize my money for other things that i really need. If money wasn't an issue i wouldn't be using a bunch of 40 and 80GB drives for my media needs. 3 and 4TB drives are at a fairly good price with 8TB drives out now and it's practically painful to only be using 80GB. I don't even use my 2 and 3TB drives as those are my backup drives. In all i think MS is prematurely killing off W7 but my last ditch effort is using Linux and using W7 virtually.

daddywalter

Distinguished
May 21, 2011

To be honest, there are times when I miss MS-DOS; and OS/2 Warp3 showed a lot of promise that was never fully realized. If Warp3 had worked better with my Internet connection and printer, I probably would have upgraded to Warp4. But IBM gave up on it, while Microsoft rolled the good parts of it into Windows NT; so, as a Windows 8.1 user, I suppose I _am_ still using OS/2 sorta-kinda.

daddywalter

Distinguished
May 21, 2011

I hated Windows 8 out of reflex because it was just too "weird looking". But I gave Windows 8.1 a try when it came out, added a start-button replacement, and came to like it. I won't be surprised if, a few years from now, we think of switching between the traditional Desktop/Start Menu and the Start Screen quite normal, and use whichever one gets us to a particular app(lication) the most efficiently.

Microsoft has stated that it wants Windows for computers and Windows Phone to merge as much as possible. That means Windows for computers will keep the tiled Start Screen; but that isn't a bad thing once you start thinking of it as just a bigger, alternative version of the Start Menu, which will still be around.

B-man33

Reputable
Aug 9, 2014

My friend is running windows 8.1 on his system and I can not see myself to like it, I did build a new PC this year (still need some upgrade parts) and I did some reading work about windows 8.1, people did bash it, so I ended up getting windows 7, I am sure windows 8.1 is a good OS but I guess I don't want to switch to 8.1 because I so comfortable with windows 7, windows 10 does look more familiar. But one thing is sure is windows 8.1 will give your PC better FPS in gaming then windows 7 even if it is only 5 - 10 FPS more.

How many people are using a windows operated mobile? I think windows is wasting their money, android and apple is dominating the market, why bother getting a windows operated phone? Just my personal opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.