Report: Windows 8 Apps Are Easily Hacked

Status
Not open for further replies.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]lengcaifai[/nom]no one will bother to hack ur apps if its completely free of $$ or ads or etc[/citation]

There's no such thing as free lunch. Developers are also humans, they need to put food on the table as well.

hoofhearted

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2004
These crappy apps sound like they got what they deserved. Having to spend real money for in-game currency is a ripoff in itself. We need to go back to when you pay one price and the software is yours.

victorintelr

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2010
Not that unexpected thinking of the way Windows is available and "unlocked" compared to Android and iOS. Though is important to bring this to the table so it can be fixed.

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
this is what happens when apps get ported from smart-phones to workstation environments....this is what i call laziness....Microsoft needs to have separate teams to develop apps for smart-phones and apps for workstations

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]hoofhearted[/nom]These crappy apps sound like they got what they deserved. Having to spend real money for in-game currency is a ripoff in itself. We need to go back to when you pay one price and the software is yours.[/citation]

EA's CEO thinks otherwise: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZR6-u8OIJTE

CEO's speech to his shareholders: "When you are six hours into playing Battlefield and you run out of ammo, and we ask you for a dollar to reload, you're really not that price sensitive at that point... We're not gouging, but we're charging... I think it's a great model, and it represents a better future for the industry..."

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
[citation][nom]lengcaifai[/nom]no one will bother to hack ur apps if its completely free of $$ or ads or etc[/citation]

No one will bother to MAKE apps if it's completely free of any profit gain. I see the kids are up early today. People work for money. If you want to make apps for free from a dumpster since you can't pay rent, be my guest.

[citation][nom]A Bad Day[/nom]EA's CEO thinks otherwise: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZR6-u8OIJTECEO's speech to his shareholders: "When you are six hours into playing Battlefield and you run out of ammo, and we ask you for a dollar to reload, you're really not that price sensitive at that point... We're not gouging, but we're charging... I think it's a great model, and it represents a better future for the industry..."[/citation]

This on the other hand is a problem. Some AAA publishers want to charge you for everything. There's a simple solution, stop buying their products. Buy from the publishers who aren't pulling this garbage. The second part is just as necessary, stop pirating from companies who aren't screwing you over or they'll be the ones going out of business first.

It's going to cost either way. They're looking for "new" ways to make profits because the consumer is forcing them to. Blockbuster titles cost a lot more money than they used to, yet the consumer can pirate and is willing to pay less. Garbage games sell on mobile platforms because of a low initial price. The consumers are telling them that they aren't willing to pay a high price initially, so the cost will have to come later.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
[citation][nom]A Bad Day[/nom]EA's CEO thinks otherwise: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZR6-u8OIJTECEO's speech to his shareholders: "When you are six hours into playing Battlefield and you run out of ammo, and we ask you for a dollar to reload, you're really not that price sensitive at that point..."[/citation]

I can see it now; you are 6 hours into working on your year end accounting spreadsheet when a message pops up that you need to purchase more M$-credits while Excel locks your data for the time being :)

I bet someone at M$ is watching this development and is putting on his/her thinking cap.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
I really don't think MS wants to kill off their major customer base: other companies that use Excel

EA on the other hand, it's full of people that don't know what is a computer game.

wemakeourfuture

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011

There are tonne of apps that are free but you get bonuses by paying. People will hack to get these bonuses for free.

When I hear "People won't hack", that's the biggest load of you know what rationale to justify poor security.

wemakeourfuture

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
[citation][nom]hoofhearted[/nom]These crappy apps sound like they got what they deserved. Having to spend real money for in-game currency is a ripoff in itself. We need to go back to when you pay one price and the software is yours.[/citation]

Free apps with in-game purchases are the new trend. Its hugely popular in Asia and the mobile revolution of the last 5 years has seen many employing this revenue model to make significant money.

Sorry, justifying poor security by saying, "Lets not use this business model" is frightfully poor judgement.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
Well in their press conference they didn't mention anything related to app security (nor did they say if banking apps would use stuff like SSL), so i'm not particularly surprised.

damianrobertjones

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
I can No longer trust the comments system of Toms as the SAME user is simply changing their username to post multiple posts which literally fills the comments system with utter negative posts.

Please resolve the issue or... well, there's always Engadget and Anandtech.

madjimms

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2011
I love how people think devs are "entitled" to money. What ever happened to make a program simply because it needed to be made? You'll see thousands of open source/completely free programs that developers worked hard as hell on & didn't ask for a penny (unless someone wanted to donate).

wemakeourfuture

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
[citation][nom]Madjimms[/nom]I love how people think devs are "entitled" to money. What ever happened to make a program simply because it needed to be made? You'll see thousands of open source/completely free programs that developers worked hard as hell on & didn't ask for a penny (unless someone wanted to donate).[/citation]

Its a business. There's still open-source which I use and enjoy. But most developers want to be compensated for their time and efforts. And most companies are not going to hire someone to develop an app and give it for free.

Great, so developers should make free programs, don't get compensated and eat ramen noodles for the rest of their lives? I doubt that's why a lot of developers went to higher learning to spend tens of thousands on tuition to have a degree in their hand to make free things for other people to use.

Its called market reality, there's opportunity cost for anything and people directly or indirectly need to get compensated. Creating something for free, having it turn huge and becoming in huge demand for that particular software is where these "free" developers start to make good money off their idea(s). This is pretty rare as well, very small percentage of people can turn their open-source project into a livelihood.

But maybe you think companies will pay $50,000 - $150,000 for each developer and then not feel "entitled" to make money?

When you mortgage your property / use all your life savings to fund a software and not expect to make a single penny in return, then come and advocate to others not to feel "entitled" to make money off their investment.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]Madjimms[/nom]I love how people think devs are "entitled" to money. What ever happened to make a program simply because it needed to be made? You'll see thousands of open source/completely free programs that developers worked hard as hell on & didn't ask for a penny (unless someone wanted to donate).[/citation]

Making AAA titles such as Skyrim (or maybe Mass-Effect excluding the ME3) can not be done by a small group of dedicated developers. You need a much larger group of people to get the job done.

I'm not saying that you need a huge budget to make great games, but for some great games, you need such budget.

MarioJP

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2007
And besides i am sure people making these "free open source programs" must be a IT admin. How else would they make their programs on. Gotta have workstation to make right? Unless of course these were "donated" computers that can only be as good as the paid one. Don't get me wrong. When it comes to simple tasks like editing a audio file,images etc, they can get the job done. But for very complex task you need a budget. with that said. I am surprised that Open office or libre Office hasn't kicked MS Office out its misery already ;)

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]mariojp[/nom]And besides i am sure people making these "free open source programs" must be a IT admin. How else would they make their programs on. Gotta have workstation to make right? Unless of course these were "donated" computers that can only be as good as the paid one. Don't get me wrong. When it comes to simple tasks like editing a audio file,images etc, they can get the job done. But for very complex task you need a budget. with that said.

I am surprised that Open office or libre Office hasn't kicked MS Office out its misery already[/citation]

Nah, they got their job done on Pentium 4 laptops... (compiling alone would've taken hours) :)

Regarding Open office, it has a different UI layout and is often considered to be less user friendly.

In an office environment, any savings made from using software other than MS Office would've been destroyed by the reduced productivity of most of the employees.

Status
Not open for further replies.