Report: Windows XP is Still The Dominant OS

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rpgplayer

Distinguished
May 27, 2010
[citation][nom]K2N hater[/nom]Windows 7 looks a lot better than xp and that's it. Improvements such as DX11, IE9 and security warnings could have been implemented to xp would Microsoft want it. While I find Win7 to be slow and resource-hungry I can deal with it for my home PC but I'm sure to carry on with xp at work.[/citation]
The change to DX11 was also a change to the driver model used. In order to put it into Windows XP they would have had to change the entire way drivers are handled on XP, which is rewriting half of the OS. Why would they do something like that for an OS that at the time was 6 years old?

biscuitasylum

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2012
I'm still on XP at home. there has been no reason to upgrade. Absolutely none at all. Just because Ford updates the mustang every year... doesnt mean i need to buy a new mustang every year. I still have an old Mac Beige G3/333 upgraded to a G4/500... we keep it around for nostalgia reasons and the large amount of music thats on it... and we even surf the web with it.

Also... you know what else is funny, Ive owned personal computers since the late 70's... and have never bought or used Anti-Virus programs on any computer that I've owned. Never had a virus either.

[citation][nom]biscuitasylum[/nom]I'm still on XP at home. there has been no reason to upgrade. Absolutely none at all. Just because Ford updates the mustang every year... doesnt mean i need to buy a new mustang every year. I still have an old Mac Beige G3/333 upgraded to a G4/500... we keep it around for nostalgia reasons and the large amount of music thats on it... and we even surf the web with it.Also... you know what else is funny, Ive owned personal computers since the late 70's... and have never bought or used Anti-Virus programs on any computer that I've owned. Never had a virus either.[/citation]

You obviously dont use your computer for anything serious then

You also don't seem to notice all the dud windows updates that corrupt xp either

why dont we all stick to windows 3.11 its still good right? it can surf the internet, display several thousand colours and things

no need to upgrade to your fancy modern os's its perfectly fine i love living under my rock and not venturing out

derp.

yorgos

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012
actually, less is more.
some people need a simple interface, a stable and fast OS that has support by everyone(company) to anything(driver/IDE e.t.c.)
I wouldn't bother reading the comments or the article but there are still people judging others who use old OS.
XP is an OS that is simple, can run everywhere, with or without huge ram size, fast or slow cpu/hd/ssd/vga or anything else.
you install it and you start working.
XP has one of the best features that an OS can have, it is SIMPLE. I mean aero is certainly cool, beautiful, e.t.c. but i personally got bored of it after a couple hours.
Since is spend over 12 hours/day working on my pc, I can't configure Win7 pro legit to be simple and have the best colour combination in order to keep my eyes rested. in win7 you cannot do that. In windows XP you just install the Zune theme, and there you have a dark theme to keep you working for days without complaining.
Other things that I don't like in 7 is the huge amount of ram they use. ok I have 4 gigs in my laptop but ffs, when I open netbeans, visual studio, dreamweaver, run an IIS or WAMP or something similar, when I compile big projects, has over 20 tabs on Firefox or Chrome I start to get the feeling that these are to much for win7 to handle, simply because in MS they forgot what efficiency is or what user friendly and configurable interface is.
On the other hand, now that we are talking about old software and I mentioned the DM and DE of an OS let's take a look at linux.
I started using linux when KDE 3 was out. it's been more that 6 years. This DE was SIMPLE it did JUST WHAT YOU WANTED IT TO DO and it was first of all FAST FAST super fast. When debian switched to KDE 4 i changed to Gnome 2, it wasn't what I wanted so I switched to LXDE it wasn't what I wanted and I stopped to XFCE that is exactly what I need, it works, it has the programs I want and it gives me exactly what I need.
==========================================================
((if the above are much to read skip here))
If there is something that I want to change in XP is
1) update the kernel to use the latest instruction sets from amd and intel, including the fixes for buldozer
2) update it's installation wizard and built in drivers to support the latest motheboards because I bought my laptop last year and I can't get windows XP to work on it.
3) please give Win XP to the opensource community, we know how to appreciate good software.

Northwestern

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2011
Our school upgraded laptops running XP to 7, since then, the battery life has been cut down by half and they run very sluggish. Our school didn't need to upgrade and it wasn't the best of choices but I guess Joe Blow suggested that we do it anyway.

I'll still be supporting XP by the time it's long forgotten.

[citation][nom]aarontweak[/nom]This is a great free guide on tweaking windows XP! http://performancetweaksforwindowsxp.blogspot.com[/citation]

If its so light and good why do you need to tweak it? FAIL

G

Windows XP best OS ever...it never ever failed me in 10 years of work with it.
The only problem is I'm considering to switch to W7 ONLY because Battlefield 3 doesn't support XP :'(
But I think I will stay with my beloved XP...

[citation][nom]Leveh[/nom]Windows XP best OS ever...it never ever failed me in 10 years of work with it.The only problem is I'm considering to switch to W7 ONLY because Battlefield 3 doesn't support XP But I think I will stay with my beloved XP...[/citation]

It doesnt? EXCELLENT

G

In the corporate world, upgrading is a major major issue. Our IT Department has no need for Windows 7 or Windows 8 for that matter. Consistency and predictability as well as costs and productivity are the key considerations. We simply don't have the time and money to try to chase some imaginary benefit. Everything just works and that's the way we like it. Sorry, M$, but we will wait till the last possible minute to upgrade, which is when the security updates cease.

[citation][nom]Nada Whatever[/nom]In the corporate world, upgrading is a major major issue. Our IT Department has no need for Windows 7 or Windows 8 for that matter. Consistency and predictability as well as costs and productivity are the key considerations. We simply don't have the time and money to try to chase some imaginary benefit. Everything just works and that's the way we like it. Sorry, M$, but we will wait till the last possible minute to upgrade, which is when the security updates cease.[/citation]

You system so called "admins" disgust me, perhaps you should be binned along with windows xp.

Hows about learning something new? you incapable of that? Lost your edge?

My workplace cannot function with a limit of 3gb of ram per system nor will i let my staff suffer that dreadful dinosaur we stick with the times i feel sorry for your staff/clients/users that are forced to use XP.

G

Sadly I was forced to switch because windows xp would not use all of my ram. I was forced into either windows xp 64 or windows 7 64 but a bunch of my friends/family told me that xp 64 has compatibility issues and Microsoft stooped putting out updates for it so that you cant even get sp3 on it. Now I have windows 7 and so far I hate most of it. The paint, search, wordpad, and sound recorder programs are worse then the xp versions of the same programs. I actually had to replace the windows 7 versions of those programs with the version from xp which was a huge pain in the butt.

G

I have 7, dual boot, only bought it with some hardware to try it, and finally get to try some games I couldnt run on XP. Never use it, maybe when Grid 2 comes and Im forced I give it another go.
My XP has been no problems since my games stopped working with 2000 ! and I was forced to go XP (which is afer all fully sorted 2000).
I have never had bsod and only my stupidity caused the odd hang, untrustworthy software, nothing that I couldnt fix, never use AV as it just cripples systems and makes people wonder why they are slow.
And yes the few mentions here about the windows and file handling just irks me also and the crappy looking fonts.
Guess Ill have to leave XP someday but only when my games are unsupported and the way things are going that will be in the year 2013 :)

joland

Honorable
Mar 15, 2013
Why should people with a very stable os win xp change just because microsoft wants more money, its security statements about xp are salemens lies geared to get the gullible to move to win7, which restricts your options, win xp gives the user alot of freedom in alteration, win7 ends that. win xp is very stable, ive tested xp with every form of attack and with good antivirus programs each is removed and
back to normal the XP os is very resilient and always returns back to norm, win xp has never crashed on me , but win7 has seized on me twice on my laptop, the reason it was on my laptop was microsoft did a deal with some retaliers to put win7 on its new laptops ,taking away consumer choice, i want to put win xp on my laptop but microsft has made this difficult, but with desktops its much easier to keep xp on XP is microsofts best Os, they should be proud at microsft for making it, and ensure,its key features are replicated in windows 9

uhlon

Honorable
Nov 1, 2013
I have two M1400 motion Computing Tablets, One running windows x and the other win 7, win 7 has more memory and is slower than xp, games i run on xp wont run on the tablet with 7. They neeed to keep xp going but they won't, which sucks!!

Status
Not open for further replies.