Reporting From Google I/O 2012: Nexus 7 And Jelly Bean (Android 4.1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

hannibal

Distinguished
Google can do nothing to force manufacturers to use 4.1... Just wondering if even customers can "lob" new operation systems...
We really need manufacturer black list for bad upgraders!

amdwilliam1985

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2006
I'm more interest in the battery life, seems like JB increases a lot of UI performance, but at what cost though? Does the battery life take a hit?
It'll be great if we can increase UI smoothness without significant cost of battery, I'll upgrade to JB in a heart beat. But I value battery life > "smoothness".

I thought they're giving out Galaxy Nexus preinstalled with JB at Google IO, can't someone run the battery life against the "old" Galaxy Nexus on ICS.

Augray37

Distinguished
May 4, 2011
[citation][nom]amdwilliam1985[/nom]I'm more interest in the battery life, seems like JB increases a lot of UI performance, but at what cost though? Does the battery life take a hit?It'll be great if we can increase UI smoothness without significant cost of battery, I'll upgrade to JB in a heart beat. But I value battery life > "smoothness".[/citation]

That's a good point. Seriously, the battery life problem in mobile electronics needs some real attention here in the next couple years. Smoothness on phones and tablets doesn't need too many more improvements for quite some time, it's the battery life people!

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
I wish google would go the MS way, provide the OS for everyone to use (as a download on Google Play) and allow OEMs to provide driver support, which the customer can download manually or automatically.

RCx240

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
Just ordered a Nexus 7 today, pretty excited for it.
Now I just hope I'm not left hanging for a JB update on my Nexus S, like with ICS.
Because promising an update and only delivering for 1/3 of the models, and leaving the other two hanging for another 5 months with no feedback was definitely a great experience

[citation][nom]amdwilliam1985[/nom]I'm more interest in the battery life, seems like JB increases a lot of UI performance, but at what cost though? Does the battery life take a hit?It'll be great if we can increase UI smoothness without significant cost of battery, I'll upgrade to JB in a heart beat. But I value battery life > "smoothness".I thought they're giving out Galaxy Nexus preinstalled with JB at Google IO, can't someone run the battery life against the "old" Galaxy Nexus on ICS.[/citation]

I installed the JB ROM on my VZW Nexus, and I'm not noticing much of a difference so far (it was pretty terrible on 4.0.4). We'll have to wait for conclusive tests to determine the real draw on battery.

Some things will inherently draw more battery - Google Now is great, but to get the maximum utility the GPS needs to be left on so it can recommend Places literally right next to you.

The experience overall is significantly smoother than ICS was, so I'm looking forward to the actual release and the tweaks in the incremental updates.

In regards to the Nexus 7 - this is an amazing tablet. It does more than the Fire does, and the only thing it can't do is Amazon Instant Streaming (which in reality is basically Netflix's library). I owned a Fire and though it was a huge letdown from day 1; ended up with the Nook Tablet and felt the device and OS were much better crafted, just lacking in content.

G

Am I the only one still using Gingerbread?
Google needs a way to force every manufacturer to make their phones at least 4.0... Tired of LG king n update every century.

Status
Not open for further replies.