Reports of Counterfeit Parts Increase 4X Since 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.

chomlee

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
Is it me or does this article seem to be a little vague in the details. What parts are being counterfieted? Who's doing the counterfieting? What problems is it creating? I hate to be one of those critics but because there are no details/examples, I just dont understand the issue.

tical2399

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2009
[citation][nom]chomlee[/nom]Is it me or does this article seem to be a little vague in the details. What parts are being counterfieted? Who's doing the counterfieting? What problems is it creating? I hate to be one of those critics but because there are no details/examples, I just dont understand the issue.[/citation]

Agreed, this article basically says nothing at all.

epdm2be

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2011
The car industry has been using 'counterfieting parts' for ages. They're called replica's. It's sometimes your only option to revive that classic car that's been broken down. As the original manufacturer forces you to buy new stuff every year and hence stop to make replacement parts for that beloved oldtimer that can't part with.

Now I wouldn't want to sit in a plane botched together by cheap cwappy countewfeit pawts. Take Off, might get a new meaning :)

three0duster

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006
I'd be willing to bet it deals with electronics. They (I wonder where) make some very convincing counterfeit parts. They work very similar up until longevity or quality are needed.

wiyosaya

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
[citation][nom]chomlee[/nom]Is it me or does this article seem to be a little vague in the details. What parts are being counterfieted? Who's doing the counterfieting? What problems is it creating? I hate to be one of those critics but because there are no details/examples, I just dont understand the issue.[/citation]
It would certainly be nice to know this so that people like us Tom's readers could be on the lookout.

This sort of thing has not happened in years. In the early 90's (gosh, I feel like an old man :)), this was relatively rampant with CPUs. I forget what happened to stem the tide, however, the number of counterfeit CPUs on the market dropped significantly.

sporkimus

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2011
Ok... so we know that stuff is being counterfeited... but we don't know what exactly is being counterfeited, we don't know how exactly this is impacting the market and we don't know who exactly is doing the counterfeiting. This article totally makes sense now!

matt_b

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2009
[citation][nom]epdm2be[/nom]The car industry has been using 'counterfieting parts' for ages. They're called replica's. It's sometimes your only option to revive that classic car that's been broken down. [/citation]
Totally different. This would most likely be more like I manufacturer a very cheap PSU (think eBay Chinese quality), paint it the the right colors, slap an official looking Seaonic label on it, then sell it to you for $150 when I have like less than $20 in parts invested into it. You're buying from me, what appears at first glance to be a high quality Seasonic unit - until you test it out. Reproductions are just that, and labeled so. If I went out and bought new fenders for my 67' Mustang and they said OEM Ford on them with some numbers that look legit, but were not, then we're in the same boat. The difference between the official and reproductions are night and day though, too easy to tell the difference. I doubt a knockoff could get away with it - but you're referring to replicas/reproductions.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
[citation][nom]digiex[/nom]Where else, clue......they have a wall that can be seen in space.[/citation]

Just a myth actually. I can NOT bee seen from the ISS for example by the naked eye.

juncture

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2010
[citation][nom]digiex[/nom]Where else, clue......they have a wall that can be seen in space.[/citation]
That clue is pure myth, the china wall cannot be seen from space, although it's very long, it's only 30 feet wide at most. If you could see it from space, you would be able to see most streets, roads, interstates,highways from space which you can't.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
"Sir, three Airbus A380s crash landed over the Rocky Mountains. Very few survivors."

"Wha?"

"According to early investigations, apparently the memory chips in computers were faulty..."

sewalk

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2010
[citation][nom]epdm2be[/nom]The car industry has been using 'counterfieting parts' for ages. They're called replica's.[/citation]
You're obviously quite confused. Replica or reproduction parts are not counterfeits if they are plainly marked as such and the use of repro parts is a commonly accepted practice in the auto repair industry. Counterfeiting involves creating something, usually of substantially reduced quality, and representing it as authentic and original.

G

The real issue with these "counterfeits" isn't that they're fake or even replicas, but rather, instead of being explicitly "new" parts, they are salvaged but still in working condition. It's one thing to produce fake chips (since it's very hard), and it's another to misrepresent the condition of goods (say it's new when it's used/salvaged).

Status
Not open for further replies.