[SOLVED] Requesting help to resolve startup BSOD after the W10 Cumulative update KB5005565

Sep 22, 2021
I'm using a Lenovo Thinkpad ( Windows 10 Version 20H2, OS Build 19042.1237) of which the HDD was replaced last month due to bad sectors. After the replacement the system was working smoothly until two days ago when the system was automatically updated with the "2021-09 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 20H2 for x64 based systems(KB5005565)" by Windows Updates. The updates were completed successfully without any downloading or installing errors. But since then whenever I reboot after shutting down, the system loads to a BSOD. Though the system somehow recovers after the restart initiated in BSOD, system performance is significantly impended. I checked the event viewer each time after the BSOD and found that it registered the following error each time.
Level Date and Time Source Event ID Task Category
Error 21-09-2021 01:00:07 Microsoft-Windows-WER-SystemErrorReporting 1001 None The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x0000007e (0xffffffff80000003, 0xfffff8066e7405b3, 0xffff86889aa82e78, 0xffff86889aa826b0). A dump was saved in: C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP. Report Id: df7a03f0-c78e-43e1-9e6c-ab3cb62d45da.
I tried uninstalling the update but the issue still persisted.
Please provide technical help to resolve this issue.
I could see the following two updates being installed from the list in uninstall an update window.
Security Update for Microsoft Windows(KB5005565) and Servicing Stack 10.0.19041.1220
Please provide help at your earliest convenience

Solution
Not entirely sure what it was doing in top 3 errors but they all the same actions.
Only 4th one has a victim that isn't windows, it was the Card reader software.

those updates shouldn't have caused the problem, all the Servicing updates do is ensure windows update is on the latest version so you can get updates.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...043-1237-292cf8ed-f97b-4cd8-9883-32b71e3e6b44

right click start button
choose powershell (admin)
type SFC /scannow and press enter
once its completed...

Colif

Win 11 Master
Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD - that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD

1. Open Windows File Explore
  2. Navigate to C:\Windows\Minidump
  3. Copy the mini-dump files out onto your Desktop
  4. Do not use Winzip, use the built in facility in Windows
  5. Select those files on your Desktop, right click them and choose 'Send to' - Compressed (zipped) folder
  6. Upload the zip file to the Cloud (OneDrive, DropBox . . . etc.)
  7. Then post a link here to the zip file, so we can take a look for you . . .

On another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB (might use this to update windows, that is only reason I am getting it)

Have you gone to Lenovo website for PC and checked if any newer drivers? often that error code you got relates to old drivers.

Sep 22, 2021
Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD - that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD

1. Open Windows File Explore
  2. Navigate to C:\Windows\Minidump
  3. Copy the mini-dump files out onto your Desktop
  4. Do not use Winzip, use the built in facility in Windows
  5. Select those files on your Desktop, right click them and choose 'Send to' - Compressed (zipped) folder
  6. Upload the zip file to the Cloud (OneDrive, DropBox . . . etc.)
  7. Then post a link here to the zip file, so we can take a look for you . . .
On another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB (might use this to update windows, that is only reason I am getting it)

Have you gone to Lenovo website for PC and checked if any newer drivers? often that error code you got relates to old drivers.
Hi
Thanks for replying to my request.
I have uploaded the minidump file to the following OneDrive link as it was asked by a person who extended help to my same post in the windows community.

This is the link to my windows community post in which some conversations took place regarding this issue
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...e/38fd6c75-0f86-4822-9890-8f3b5fc695fd?page=1

About the updates, the first time the system crashed I serached about this issue online and found some person asking about the same issue and saw a reply to his post that the network adapter driver might be out of date. So I searched the Lenovo website and updated the wifi, ethernet drives but still the issue wasn.t resolved. There were a BIOS update but I didn.t do it at that particular time as the website provides little to no information regarding whether the update the already installed in my system. One thing I do notice now and then regarding the updates is that the touchpad scroll isn't working even after updating the drive using the download from the website.

Kindly go through my reply. I would like to point out now that I dont have the KB5005565 update installed right now as I uninstalled the update yesterday thinking it would solve the issue, though it didn't. I could see that the security update (previously KB5005565) update was reverted back to the previous version (KB5005033) and that the servicing stacks as being installed in the system from the Uninstall an update window.

Last edited:

gardenman

Splendid
Hi, I ran the dump files through the debugger and got the following information: https://jsfiddle.net/stoa1n45/show This link is for anyone wanting to help. You do not have to view it. It is safe to "run the fiddle" as the page asks.
File information:092221-85828-01.dmp (Sep 22 2021 - 10:43:21)
Bugcheck:SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M (1000007E)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: System)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 2 Hour(s), 14 Min(s), and 32 Sec(s)

File information:092221-70718-01.dmp (Sep 22 2021 - 07:48:26)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 7 Hour(s), 45 Min(s), and 48 Sec(s)

File information:092221-67781-01.dmp (Sep 21 2021 - 15:00:33)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 11 Hour(s), 34 Min(s), and 30 Sec(s)

File information:092221-54265-01.dmp (Sep 22 2021 - 00:02:07)
Bugcheck:SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION (3B)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: ETDCtrl.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 8 Hour(s), 15 Min(s), and 33 Sec(s)
Comment: 2 or more types of RAM are installed. (Common on laptops).

Possible Motherboard page: https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/pd500209-product-overview-v330-14arr

This information can be used by others to help you. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Not entirely sure what it was doing in top 3 errors but they all the same actions.
Only 4th one has a victim that isn't windows, it was the Card reader software.

those updates shouldn't have caused the problem, all the Servicing updates do is ensure windows update is on the latest version so you can get updates.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...043-1237-292cf8ed-f97b-4cd8-9883-32b71e3e6b44

right click start button
choose powershell (admin)
type SFC /scannow and press enter
once its completed, copy/paste this command into same window:

Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth
and press enter

SFC fixes system files, second command cleans image files, re run SFC if it failed to fix all files and restart PC

if all you did was update windows then that should help.

Solution
Sep 22, 2021
Hi,
Thanks for your help and your time.
Another person whom I was having a conversation actually devised a method that I,m gonna follow now. I will update in this thread how it goes.
Once again, thanks for your help.

Sep 22, 2021
Hi
I ran the sfc command and it gave the following result
Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files and successfully repaired them.
For online repairs, details are included in the CBS log file located at
windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For offline
repairs, details are included in the log file provided by the /OFFLOGFILE flag.

Should I still run the restorehealth command?

Sep 22, 2021
Hi
I got the following result after running the repair health command
Path :
Online : True
ImageHealthState : Healthy
RestartNeeded : False
Is everything okay by this?
Should I restart my system to apply the changes made?